Cincinnatiguy

Simple civil marriage prior to religious wedding ceremony for CR-1 purposes

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello VJ,

I and my foreign fiancee are planning to get married in a church ceremony followed by a big party in June. The wedding will take place in my fiancee's country. She is reluctant to come to the USA on a K1 visa and get married here without her family and friends or to even stay with me for several months for AOS prior to a Catholic wedding. I am thinking of pursuing a simple civil legal marriage in a third country (no civil marriage in my fiancee's country) right away for starting the CR-1 or K3 visa process then having the church/party ceremony in June. The civil marriage will be at a courthouse with 2 paid witnesses. Will this entire process (getting married in another foreign country in a small ceremony) be considered bonafide by USCIS ?

The other option I have, would be to get a K1 visa while we are still single, have the religious ceremony abroad and then enter the US on the K1 and have a civil marriage here.

Any opinion on the above is appreciated.

Edited by Cincinnatiguy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Doing the q

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As long as the marriage is legal, you marry in a 3rd country and apply for the CR-1. With a K-1 the marriage must take place in the US so you can't apply for a K-1, marry abroad then enter the US on the K-1.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No idea what happened with my first reply...

Doing a K1 with a religious ceremony prior to US entry is technically allowed, but can cause problems because the CO and/ or border agent may decide you are "really" married and deny the visa.

You can get a quickie civil wedding and do a religious ceremony later, this will be allowed legally by USCIS, and should not pose a problem at interview/ with the visa UNLESS your fiancee is from a high fraud country/ a country where civil marriages are very much culturally frowned upon. I have read on here for example that several people had trouble getting visas approved in Vietnam if they did not follow the cultural norm of big engagement ceremony and "suitable" wedding ceremony.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Doing a K1 with a religious ceremony prior to US entry is technically allowed, but can cause problems because the CO and/ or border agent may decide you are "really" married and deny the visa.

If the foreign spouse's country does not have civil marriages and religious ceremonies are the only option then DO NOT do it. If the marriage is legally recognized in the foreign country then you're legally married according to the US. The officials at the consulate will be well aware of marriage traditions in the country and will not let that slide if you're going for a K-1.

If you're considering marriage in a third country and paying people to be witnesses, how is that different from getting married in the US? Your spouse still wouldn't have her family there...

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Not only that, but I believe spousal visas have to be processed in the consulate where the marriage took place, correct?

Sort of correct. The K-3 will go to the country where the marriage took place. The CR-1 will go to the country where the beneficiary lives. Another important thing for them to consider!

Naturalization

N-400 package mailed: 04/16/2013

N-400 package delivered: 04/16/2013

NOA1 date: 04/17/2013

Biometrics: 08/23/2013

Interview: 10/07/2013

Oath: 01/23/2014

DONE!

Filed: Timeline
Not only that, but I believe spousal visas have to be processed in the consulate where the marriage took place, correct?

Sort of correct. The K-3 will go to the country where the marriage took place. The CR-1 will go to the country where the beneficiary lives. Another important thing for them to consider!

There you go --- I knew there was something like that. thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I had a small ceremony in the US in June to get the ball rolling on his CR-1 visa. My family and a few mutual friends were there as witnesses. We are having another ceremony (vow renewal) in the Dominican in November and that will be the anniversary we celebrate. But as far as USCIS and this whole process goes, our wedding anniversary is June.

6/27/2009 Married after being together almost 2 years

USCIS Journey

I-130 package sent - 8/5/2009

I-130 package received - 8/9/2009

Check cleared my bank - 8/17/2009

NOA1 - 8/12/2009

NOA2 - 9/11/2009

NOA2 hard copy received - 9/18/2009

NVC Journey

NVC Received : 9/28/2009

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 10/2/2009

Pay I-864 Bill : 10/5/2009

Receive I-864 Package : 10/7/2009

Return Completed I-864 : 10/9/2009

Return Completed DS-3032 : 10/6/2009

Receive IV Bill : 10/20/2009

Pay IV Bill : 10/22/2009

Return Completed DS-230 Package : 10/26/2009

Log-In Fail: 11/6/2009

Case Completed at NVC : 11/9/2009

Received Interview date: 1/22/2010

Medical Exam: 2/23/2010 at 1:30 p.m. - yep he went for the latest possible appointment......

Interview date: 3/1/2010 APPROVED!!!!!

POE: 3/8/2010 - Thousand Islands

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.