niniel71

Criminal Record for Petitioner

5 posts in this topic

I am the petitioner (US Citizen) with a misdemeanor assault charge on my record. I have been scared to death that our petition will be denied because of this. On the I-129f, I checked the box NO when it asked about if I ever committed those crimes listed, because it wasnt listed there. However I did include with the petition a certified copy of the charges against me, as well as a notorized letter from the "Victim" stating it wasnt related to any type of domestic violence charge.

I suppose there's nothing else I can but wait a few more months. What does everyone think? Is it a big deal? I am a female and my fiance isnt worried about me abusing him! lol

I'm wondering if they'll want some type of waiver or more court documents. The form instrucitons is very vague in this area. The only place where it asks for a waiver is related to IMBRA filing limitations.

All of you without skeletons in your closet should consider yourselves lucky! I am very worried. And it annoys me greatly that my future happiness is in the hands of someone in California who could care less about me.

Filed: Timeline

I think you can wait in peace. This should not affect your petition. You have been honest and forthcoming with the USCIS. Your criminal record will not keep the petition from being approved.

If it was me I would have checked No and not sent any records with the petition. You are thinking right that the questions did not pertain to your case. But what you did should not affect anything.

Your situation is ironic because the law was put in place to protect women not make it more difficult for them.This shows you how a BAD law can do more harm than good.

This section of the petition was put in place by a law that was buried in a bill which was signed by the President in a lame duck session of Congress. The bill was written by a women Democrat Senator from the Northwest. I always find this amazing because the Dems say they are always for not taking away freedoms.

Your history lesson and why you are stressing over your petition. Wait in peace.

Edited by cyclops10

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I am the petitioner (US Citizen) with a misdemeanor assault charge on my record. I have been scared to death that our petition will be denied because of this. On the I-129f, I checked the box NO when it asked about if I ever committed those crimes listed, because it wasnt listed there. However I did include with the petition a certified copy of the charges against me, as well as a notorized letter from the "Victim" stating it wasnt related to any type of domestic violence charge.

I suppose there's nothing else I can but wait a few more months. What does everyone think? Is it a big deal? I am a female and my fiance isnt worried about me abusing him! lol

I'm wondering if they'll want some type of waiver or more court documents. The form instrucitons is very vague in this area. The only place where it asks for a waiver is related to IMBRA filing limitations.

All of you without skeletons in your closet should consider yourselves lucky! I am very worried. And it annoys me greatly that my future happiness is in the hands of someone in California who could care less about me.

You were not asked if you "committed" anything. You were asked about whether you had been "convicted". Only if the appropriate answer was, "yes" were you requested to send any court records. You petition will not be denied for a criminal conviction anyway unless it was a sexual crime against a child that falls under the Adam Walsh Act.

At worst, you've confused an adjudicator and delayed your case adjudicatation by including the unnecessary record. Somebody is going to have to take some time, (maybe only minutes, no way to tell) evaluating why you checked no and provided a court record. Since that person won't be an attorney and probably is pretty junior, they may need to escalate to a more senior officer.

Too bad you didn't ask about this before filing. In the future, please read carefully, interpret literally and follow instructions exactly.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

[You were not asked if you "committed" anything. You were asked about whether you had been "convicted". Only if the appropriate answer was, "yes" were you requested to send any court records. You petition will not be denied for a criminal conviction anyway unless it was a sexual crime against a child that falls under the Adam Walsh Act.

At worst, you've confused an adjudicator and delayed your case adjudicatation by including the unnecessary record. Somebody is going to have to take some time, (maybe only minutes, no way to tell) evaluating why you checked no and provided a court record. Since that person won't be an attorney and probably is pretty junior, they may need to escalate to a more senior officer.

Too bad you didn't ask about this before filing. In the future, please read carefully, interpret literally and follow instructions exactly.

Yes I was convicted of the assault charge, not just charged. And I probably would have still included the records I did regardless of what anyone said here. I included a letter stating why I was including my court records. "In order to disclose any criminal history" so they wouldnt think I was hiding anything. Which I'm sure they would have found out about anyway when they ran my background check.

This didnt have anything to do with a child or domestic violence so I hope you all are correct when you say the petition wouldnt be denied.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.