GaryC

Hillary’s union pandering unbearable

65 posts in this topic

Hillary Clinton may be pulling away from the pack of Democratic contenders, but she’s still playing it safe. She’s quick to stake out territory that puts her in the mainstream of Democratic opinion, even if it means disavowing her own past positions - or those of her husband.

This week, Sen. Clinton deftly danced around the trade issue during a debate sponsored by the AFL-CIO. To hear her talk about it, you’d think NAFTA (the North American Free Trade Agreement, which removed barriers and tariffs for products traded among the United States, Mexico and Canada) was a Republican plot to destroy American jobs.

In reality, NAFTA was one of President Bill Clinton’s few genuine achievements. But like all the other Democratic candidates, Hillary disavowed NAFTA before the 17,000 union members gathered in Chicago’s Soldier Field.

“NAFTA and the way it’s been implemented has hurt a lot of American workers,” she said, a position she claimed she’s held “for many years.”

Funny, I don’t remember first lady Clinton speaking out against NAFTA.

Just looking at the agreement’s first 10 years, seven of which were on President Clinton’s watch, suggests Hillary should be touting the success of free trade, not running away from it.

As the Cato Institute reported on the 10th anniversary of NAFTA’s implementation, U.S. exports to Mexico had tripled. And there wasn’t any “giant sucking sound” from jobs leaving the U.S., as Ross Perot had warned in 1992. In those first 10 years, the U.S. added 18 million jobs. Manufacturing rose by 41 percent.

The Institute for International Economics estimates that trade liberalization has added an additional $9,000 a year to the typical American household. Of that, the U.S. trade representative’s office last year estimated that NAFTA and the Uruguay Round (modifications of the General Agreements on Tariffs and Trade in effect between 1986-1994) alone generated $1,300-$2,000 to the average family of four. International trade allows American consumers to buy lower-priced, foreign-produced goods, while providing 20 percent of American jobs tied to exports. And those U.S. jobs in exporting industries pay more than other jobs.

Hillary Clinton is too smart a woman not to know this. But acknowledging that lifting trade barriers is good for America is, nonetheless, bad politics in the Democratic Party. Labor unions are obsessed with “protecting” jobs - which, of course, is a recipe for destroying jobs in the long run since it stifles competition and increased productivity. And since unions supply much of the money and “volunteers” - often paid union staff - for Democrats, candidate Clinton is not likely to buck them on trade.

Hillary tried to cast herself as a fighter in the AFL-CIO debate, drawing hearty applause when she noted, “For 15 years, I have stood up against the right-wing machine, and I’ve come out stronger. So if you want a winner who knows how to take them on, I’m your girl.”

But in Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears, she looked more like a Pander Bear than a principled politician. I guess she’s more worried about losing the AFL-CIO’s fat contribution to her campaign next fall - in 2004, the AFL-CIO spent $44 million to try to elect John Kerry - than she is about doing what’s right for the economy and American families.

http://news.bostonherald.com/editorial/vie...mat=&page=2

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“NAFTA suxs...Clinton was wrong to push this,,

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

I saw that. The worst kind of trash imaginable. She should be ashamed of herself. To think of her accusing Bush of ignoring the troops is a disgrace. I find it interesting that her first ad is a negative one targeting Bush. The last time I looked Bush isn't running. Sounds really desperate to me. It also shows what kind of a person she is. No class at all.

Filed: Timeline

I saw that. The worst kind of trash imaginable. She should be ashamed of herself. To think of her accusing Bush of ignoring the troops is a disgrace. I find it interesting that her first ad is a negative one targeting Bush. The last time I looked Bush isn't running. Sounds really desperate to me. It also shows what kind of a person she is. No class at all.

SHe's showing that there is a different way than following the sheep. I think it's great, as does she! :lol:

-------------

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The American people seem to be in a bad mood when it comes to evaluating President Bush and the Democratically-controlled Congress, a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll indicates.

According to the poll, 57 percent of Americans deem Bush's presidency a "failure," while 55 percent say the same for the Democratic Congress. Meanwhile, 40 percent call Bush's presidency a success, while only 37 percent give that mark to Congress.

It's not all bad news for Democrats. By a 48 to 35 percent margin, Americans say they have more confidence in the Democrats than in Bush to deal with the major issues facing the country today. Confidence in the Democrats has, however, dropped six points since a similar poll in November.

The poll, conducted August 6-8, includes interviews of 1,029 Americans and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

source

Edited by devilette

SHe's showing that there is a different way than following the sheep. I think it's great, as does she! :lol:

-------------

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The American people seem to be in a bad mood when it comes to evaluating President Bush and the Democratically-controlled Congress, a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll indicates.

According to the poll, 57 percent of Americans deem Bush's presidency a "failure," while 55 percent say the same for the Democratic Congress. Meanwhile, 40 percent call Bush's presidency a success, while only 37 percent give that mark to Congress.

It's not all bad news for Democrats. By a 48 to 35 percent margin, Americans say they have more confidence in the Democrats than in Bush to deal with the major issues facing the country today. Confidence in the Democrats has, however, dropped six points since a similar poll in November.

The poll, conducted August 6-8, includes interviews of 1,029 Americans and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

source

You go right ahead and agree with her. And I think she should go ahead with running against Bush. That is one contest she is sure to win considering Bush isn't running!!!

Your polls are interesting also. Your touting results that say 55% of dems are a failure and 37% think the dem controlled congress think they are a success? And that that confidence level in the dems has continued to drop by 6%? Mighty nice of you to post that!!

Is the dems entire campaign going to be running against Bush? Please keep it up!!!

-------------

source

You go right ahead and agree with her. And I think she should go ahead with running against Bush. That is one contest she is sure to win considering Bush isn't running!!!

Your polls are interesting also. Your touting results that say 55% of dems are a failure and 37% think the dem controlled congress think they are a success? And that that confidence level in the dems has continued to drop by 6%? Mighty nice of you to post that!!

Is the dems entire campaign going to be running against Bush? Please keep it up!!!

Unlike you I do not have blinders on when it comes to my candidate. I can see the good & bad. There are still several positives on the poll:

By a 48 to 35 percent margin, Americans say they have more confidence in the Democrats than in Bush(read: GOP) to deal with the major issues facing the country today.

At least Hills faces her enemies head on. You think the GOP candidates aren't going to try & distance themselves further from the worst president in history? :lol: You bet they are. Except your lazy non-declared candidate Thompson.

PS: I jut signed up & joined Team Hillary. :lol: :lol: Might do some campaiging this Saturday as a matter of fact.

Edited by devilette

Unlike you I do not have blinders on when it comes to my candidate. I can see the good & bad. There are still several positives on the poll:

By a 48 to 35 percent margin, Americans say they have more confidence in the Democrats than in Bush(read: GOP) to deal with the major issues facing the country today.

At least Hills faces her enemies head on. You think the GOP candidates aren't going to try & distance themselves further from the worst president in history? :lol: You bet they are. Except your lazy non-declared candidate Thompson.

PS: I jut signed up & joined Team Hillary. :lol: :lol: Might do some campaiging this Saturday as a matter of fact.

Really? If they meant GOP why didn't they put GOP? It sure looks to me like they said Bush. You seem determand to run against Bush. Go right ahead. I think you do have blinders on.

Edited by GaryC

I think you do have blinders on.

You are so very wrong Gary.

How can you tell? The blinders you have on about Hillary don't let you see the truth about her. She is a lying, pandering, controlling, power hungry, bitter woman. I pray you see the truth before you invest to much of your time in her.

I think you do have blinders on.

You are so very wrong Gary.

How can you tell? The blinders you have on about Hillary don't let you see the truth about her. She is a lying, pandering, controlling, power hungry, bitter woman. I pray you see the truth before you invest to much of your time in her.

Wow, I feel so enlightened. Your bias is making for v. poor debating.

Here's your .02 back.

Edited by devilette

Personally, I don't think much of her one way or another...but why does someone beat themselves around the head looking for things that irritate them about a particular candidate?

If you think (Gary) that you are going to influence the election by posting all these links to Clinton's faults, I think you are well deluded. :rolleyes:

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Personally, I don't think much of her one way or another...but why does someone beat themselves around the head looking for things that irritate them about a particular candidate?

If you think (Gary) that you are going to influence the election by posting all these links to Clinton's faults, I think you are well deluded. :rolleyes:

It's good therapy. I find Hillary so repugnent that I have to shout it out. If I can keep just one person from voting for her then I would feel that my time was well spent. I don't have any illusions that I can change Dev but there may be a fence sitter out there that I may change. Stay tuned, I am not going to stop until the election night.

Is it just this candidate or are there others who deserve attention?

Oh, and you may find that it has the opposite result, wierder things have happened.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .