July09Bride

Adjustment of Status Checklist - is THAT all?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So, since my fiance' is moving to the US on Monday, I thought I would get some information together before he gets here. That way, one evening, sometime before the wedding, I can go through everything with him. That way, all we will need is the marriage certificate (certified copy) and we'll be good to go. BUT, I just want to make sure I have a list of everything we need for this next step.

From here on the VJ site, I got the following list of info.

~ Form I-485, Application To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status [uSCIS Instructions]: Application To Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

~ Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act: To show that an intending immigrant has adequate means of financial support and is not likely to become a public charge.

~ Form G-325A, Biographic Information: To provide biographic information on an alien. You file this form only as instructed on another Immigration application or petition.

~ Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization [uSCIS Instructions]: Certain aliens who are temporarily in the United States may file a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, to request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Other aliens who are authorized to work in the United States without restrictions should also used this form to apply for a document evidencing such authorization.

~ Form I-131, Application for Travel Document [uSCIS Instructions]: This form is used to apply for a Travel Document, reentry permit, refugee travel document or advance parole. (If you want to leave the country before you are granted permanent residency.)

All of the above PLUS the items below...

The following information I got from another website that seemed to have a NICE list of what is needed for what.

~ 2 Identical Photos (Passport style)

~ Copy of the I-129F Approval Notice

~ Copy of Certified Marriage Certificate

~ Copy of I-94 (both sides)

~ Copy of Bio Page & VISA Page from his Passport

~ Copy of his Canadian Birth Certificate

~ Copy of Medical Exam paper from BEFORE Consular Interview (So, I'm assuming we're okay with his exam from Toronto.)

note:

K and V nonimmigrant visa applicants:

Individual applying for K visa or V visa (including those applying for V visa in the US) must undergo a medical exam, but are not required to comply with vaccination requirements at that time. However, when they apply for adjustment of status later, they will have to comply with vaccination requirements. No medical exam is necessary again as long as they apply for adjustment of status within 1 year of previous medical exam.

Is there anything else (besides the $1010) we need to submit? I made co many copies prior to his/our interview in Montreal, I think we already have half of the paperwork gathered! lol

Thank you, SO MUCH, for your input! :)

Edited by July09Bride

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Looks pretty complete, Krista. Don't forget you can use the I-864EZ if you qualify.

Oh, and I also included a covering letter detailing the number and type of enclosures..... just so they couldn't come back to me and tell me I didn't include something. :hehe:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline
Looks pretty complete, Krista. Don't forget you can use the I-864EZ if you qualify.

Oh, and I also included a covering letter detailing the number and type of enclosures..... just so they couldn't come back to me and tell me I didn't include something. :hehe:

That's RIGHT!!! I forgot, we DO qualify for the I-864 EZ!!! I forgot about that! Thank you, Krikit!!!!! Yes, I will include a cover letter with everything enclosed.

Here is some good information as to how to organize the order of paperwork when submitting via mail (from this site).

Arrange the documents in following order:

Fee payment

Form G28, if applicable

Form I485 with two photos attached

Form I485 Supplement, if applicable

Form I864, if applicable

Form I131 and/or form I765

G325A

Other evidence

Supporting documentation

To hold each application packet together please use a single staple or a strong paper clip.

Something I did NOT do when we first submitted paperwork to lawyers (when we used them at the beginning of this whole process) was make a copy of everything. I have since learned, from other people's experiences, to make a copy of EVERYTHING! Since my school office is open during the summer, I think I'll make a quick stop in there before we mail everything off and drop everything on the copier. Again, just to be safe. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

You actually need 6 passport photos, 2 for each of the I-485, I-131, and I-765. The three applications are processed separately.

I actually included a copy of my visa/ passport ID page and marriage certificate to each application just to be sure.

~ Catherine

Timeline
You actually need 6 passport photos, 2 for each of the I-485, I-131, and I-765. The three applications are processed separately.

I actually included a copy of my visa/ passport ID page and marriage certificate to each application just to be sure.

~ Catherine

Good to know about the six photos.

I think since we're making copies, I'll make extra copies of those pages, too, and include them as well for each application form.

Thank you, Catherine!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Guess I should remember to include copies of my 2008 Tax Return and my W2s from 2008, as a part of the collection to go along with the I-864EZ form, as well.

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Uh oh... so, what if I'm the sponsor and what if by the time we send in the AoS, I have a different LAST NAME! Everything we have filed so far, I used my maiden name. However, when we file the AoS paperwork, I will have taken HIS last name, and my will have legally changed.

How do I deal with that? I guess, the marriage certificate will clear that up??? Considering, the I-129F will have my maiden name on it?

Help...

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
It doesn't matter. Your marriage certificate is the legal change document.... they'll figure it out. Half my stuff is in my old name, and half in my new. I don't think they even noticed. :lol:

Phew! I was just going through the start of the AoS forms since it is all about me, the USC, so far. Okay, I was getting worried there!

This is kind of funny though, filling out the form writing my "new" name that isn't even mine yet. :lol:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Maybe the EZ form could be added to the VJ AoS guide page??? Just a thought.... That way, others would know about it. But then again, perhaps people might NOT pay attention to its purpose and use it when they shouldn't. I dunno...??

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Okay, so the VJ guide says to the G-325A "You file this form only as instructed on another Immigration application or petition." Does that mean a G-325A for each of us or only for him?

I know, more questions. I'm sure I'm not done. :blush:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Timeline
Maybe the EZ form could be added to the VJ AoS guide page??? Just a thought.... That way, others would know about it. But then again, perhaps people might NOT pay attention to its purpose and use it when they shouldn't. I dunno...??

That's a good point, July! You should suggest on the Site Suggestions forum.

iagree.gif

Timeline

Okay, so something must be wrong. It only took me about 30 minutes to complete the 4 or 5 forms for AoS. I left the SSN blank and the A number blank as well in the varioius spots where they were required. However, to go through and just insert those two numbers, will be easy!

We've already got copies of all the additional items we need, except the marriage certificate, which we won't have until after we're married (obviously), but I think I've got a GREAT jump start on the paperwork!

By the way... for anyone reading ahead and who is awaiting their K1 Interview... my best piece of advice??? Make EXTRA copies of everything for your K1 interview! You will already be ahead of the game for your AoS! :) I'm realizing that now as I'm sitting here with the sticky notes marking the pages (from our K1 Interview "Binder O' Fun") I need to copy for AoS and we're all good! I don't have to go hunting for everything all over again!!! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Awesome thread July! I'm going to bookmark this. I'm not ready to jump into AOS yet, I'm not getting married for another 40 something days and my brain wants a paperwork break. But thanks for all the great info!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.