MapleLeafBaby

VISA: CHECK!!! :) NEXT STEPS....CANADIANS PLS SHARE/HELP :)

225 posts in this topic

Please keep this in Canadian forum, as I would like to blog with my fellow Canadians in driving/POE experiences, activating AP at local crossings etc.... Thank you :star:

I figured this can be a blog spot for some of us Canadian gals that are reaching the next step and have supported each other thus far :) This can be our meeting place! :)

So I figured I would start this thread to seek help from all of you that are well ahead of some of us just getting started out. I would love to get feedback on activating certain docs, and even filing etc...

I have started looking at the AOS filing...as you know, I will be doing this on my own, as I have decided to no longer use the services of the lawyer we hired for the K1. I have a few questions, as I want to organize some stuff before I leave, just in case there is something I need from Canada, I can get it before I leave.

I see first and foremost, to file for AOS, we will need our marriage certificate and a copy of our NOA2.... it would appear that our lawyer gave us this (original) when he gave me a copy of his file.

I plan to file for everything at the same time

For AOS I see that I will need

G-325a

I-485

I-864 Support

I will check the filing fees. For financial, do I only need to send transcripts from 2008? or should I send them the past 3 years like we did for the I-134?

I will file for EAD I-765 and AP I-131 at the same time. Are these included in the fee?

Also, what is the vaccination supp we have to submit? I have nothing left from my medical except for some checklist thing they gave me?

I am just trying to get a general overview of what I will be prepping for AOS... let me know if I missed anything?

I know that Jill crosses at the same boarder as me, and she mentioned activating her AP was simple...thankfully.... I just want to ensure I file properly and I don't miss anything.

Once I file all this, which it appears all they really need is some financial stuff, marriage cert, etc... when do we put together all this 'proof' stuff...I see everyone submitting loads of leases, bank stuff, joint accounts, utilities etc... when do they need the proof?

I see that I file all this, and that AP should take about 3 months. AOS takes about 7-8 months?

Do I have to get fingerprinted again?

Do we have another interview?

Am I given a GC for two years at that point?

Then after 2 years, we file to lift conditions? another interview?, we then get a 10 year card?

I have to keep in mind that I am filing for my son as well, so I assume I will file two of the AOS forms, but only EAD for myself and two AP apps?

Sorry guys, just trying to get an idea or a painted picture of how the next stage will play out. July09Bride and myself have been sweatin lol! :unsure:

Thanking my fellow Canucks in advance :)

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Please keep this in Canadian forum, as I would like to blog with my fellow Canadians in driving/POE experiences, activating AP at local crossings etc.... Thank you :star:

I figured this can be a blog spot for some of us Canadian gals that are reaching the next step and have supported each other thus far :) This can be our meeting place! :)

So I figured I would start this thread to seek help from all of you that are well ahead of some of us just getting started out. I would love to get feedback on activating certain docs, and even filing etc...

I have started looking at the AOS filing...as you know, I will be doing this on my own, as I have decided to no longer use the services of the lawyer we hired for the K1. I have a few questions, as I want to organize some stuff before I leave, just in case there is something I need from Canada, I can get it before I leave.

I see first and foremost, to file for AOS, we will need our marriage certificate and a copy of our NOA2.... it would appear that our lawyer gave us this (original) when he gave me a copy of his file.

I plan to file for everything at the same time

For AOS I see that I will need

G-325a

I-485

I-864 Support

I will check the filing fees. For financial, do I only need to send transcripts from 2008? or should I send them the past 3 years like we did for the I-134?

I will file for EAD I-765 and AP I-131 at the same time. Are these included in the fee?

Also, what is the vaccination supp we have to submit? I have nothing left from my medical except for some checklist thing they gave me?

I am just trying to get a general overview of what I will be prepping for AOS... let me know if I missed anything?

I know that Jill crosses at the same boarder as me, and she mentioned activating her AP was simple...thankfully.... I just want to ensure I file properly and I don't miss anything.

Once I file all this, which it appears all they really need is some financial stuff, marriage cert, etc... when do we put together all this 'proof' stuff...I see everyone submitting loads of leases, bank stuff, joint accounts, utilities etc... when do they need the proof?

I see that I file all this, and that AP should take about 3 months. AOS takes about 7-8 months?

Am I given a GC for two years at that point?

Then after 2 years, we file to lift conditions? another interview?, we then get a 10 year card?

I have to keep in mind that I am filing for my son as well, so I assume I will file two of the AOS forms, but only EAD for myself and two AP apps?

Sorry guys, just trying to get an idea or a painted picture of how the next stage will play out. July09Bride and myself have been sweatin lol! :unsure:

Thanking my fellow Canucks in advance :)

Yeah, ummm... what she said! :blush:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

"I will check the filing fees. For financial, do I only need to send transcripts from 2008? or should I send them the past 3 years like we did for the I-134?"

This depends, if your fiancee makes alot over the poverty line, only the most recent year is required. If it's cutting it close, the past 3 years need to be sent in.

"I will file for EAD I-765 and AP I-131 at the same time. Are these included in the fee?"

Yes, $1010 includes EAD and AP.

"Also, what is the vaccination supp we have to submit? I have nothing left from my medical except for some checklist thing they gave me?"

I will speak for myself on this, I'm not telling you to do it this way as it's your choice. But the vaccination supplement means you have to go see a civil surgeon to transfer your vaccines onto this new form 693 or something like that, some people go to Dr. Arnold in Texas via phone and they fax you the form for a small fee. However, if your vaccines are completely up to date upon moving many people (like me) do not do it. I simply attached the checklist from the medical that came outside the sealed envelope, with a cover page stating that my vaccines were up to date. I did not receive an RFE for that and many don't, but once it a while you hear about people getting an RFE for not submitting the 693. It's a crapshoot, I took my chance and it worked!

"Once I file all this, which it appears all they really need is some financial stuff, marriage cert, etc... when do we put together all this 'proof' stuff...I see everyone submitting loads of leases, bank stuff, joint accounts, utilities etc... when do they need the proof?"

Yes, you need the financial evidence and marriage cert (MUST be certified) for AOS. You don't really need to gather evidence until you are called for an interview, they give you time. However you can put aside anything that will be good as proof, like if your name is added to the house/lease, any joint bills, health insurance, etc. If your case gets transferred to Cali Service Center, you're almost guaranteed approval w/o an interview and therefore no more proof needed. So you don't want to go crazy gathering all this proof because you may not even have an interview! Also to note, when you activate your K-1 you will have an I-94 stapled into your passport. For AOS you must also include a photocopy of this back and front.

"I see that I file all this, and that AP should take about 3 months. AOS takes about 7-8 months?

Am I given a GC for two years at that point?"

AP should take on average 3 months, many get it before that as I did. You hopefully will too! Well AOS timeline shows that, but lately those being transferred are getting approvals much quicker than 8 months, as you see by my timeline!

Yes after you send in the AOS package you will receive a notice for you to attend a biometrics appt at your local USCIS office (probably Philly). There you get your fingerprints and photo taken, look good because that's the photo on your EAD and green card LOL! You may or may not have an interview as noted above, either way when AOS is approved YES you get a 2 year conditional GC!

"Then after 2 years, we file to lift conditions? another interview?, we then get a 10 year card?"

Yes, in 2 years (90 days before the 2 year expiry date on your GC) you file to remove conditions, again interview is possible but not guaranteed! You have to send in lots of evidence with this package that you're still married and in a real relationship, etc. When approved for that, with or without an interview you get your 10 year card yay!

Regarding your son, I have no knowledge about that part since I came on my own so someone else will know that no doubt!

Edited by JillA

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Awesome thread Poprocks! I will definitely add this to my watch list.

Thanks for the great information Jill! Just a point of clarification... We don't need to submit any relationship evidence with the AOS petition, correct? Aside from the marriage license of course. What you are suggesting is that we start collecting relationship evidence in the event we receive an AOS interview, which may or may not happen? If so, good! That will make filing AOS so much easier.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

This thread is awesome!! I was looking today on what's going on after the wedding and what are the AOS papers...

I'm still love in that the AOS approval. We're getting married Sept 5th. If we send our AOS mid-sept, would it mean that AP and EAD should come mid-dec and AOS approval a few weeks later??

And if I recall correctly, until EAD comes, I won't be able to work right?

I'm planning on quitting in May/June so I guess I'll have a very looooong vacation

K-1
Oct. 2, 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC
May 12, 2009 - Interview - Approved
July 28, 2009 - Civil Wedding
Sep. 5, 2009 - Wedding

AOS
Aug. 10, 2009 - AOS/EAD/AP Package received in Chicago
Oct. 27, 2009 - Interview - APPROVED !!
Nov. 06, 2009 - Green Card Received

ROC
Aug. 13, 2011 - ROC Package sent to VSC
May 31, 2012 - ROC - APPROVED !!!
June 11, 2012 - Green Card Received

Naturalization
Mar 21, 2013 - N-400 Package sent to Lewisville,TX
Mar 22, 2013 - Package delivered
Mar 26, 2013 - NOA
Mar 27, 2013 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2013 - Early Biometrics (Appt scheduled for April 18th)

Jul 10, 2013 - Interview - PASSED

Jul 26, 2013 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

FYI... for everyone checking out this thread... there is information available here on VJ. But, as we all have learned going through the K1 process, we can read a lot, but getting info from others on the in's and out's are invaluable!

So, I thought I'd share that AoS Guide link so people can get an idea of what Pop & I started with before we started thinking... "HUH???"

:)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Great thread! I'm the USC and the girl, but hey, thats okay :) We're getting married right away, so we can get the AP as fast as possible. still have some time to wait since we have no interview yet, but I will keep this thread on my list.

Good idea Poprocks!

[font="Arial Black"][b]Our Visa Journey[/b][/font]
[color="#4B0082"]Met June 6, 2008 & Fell in love :)
He Propsed! September 15, 2008
Mailed I-129F: October 17th, 2008
[b]NOA1: October 28, 2008[/b]
[b]NOA2: March 13th, 2009 * Friday the 13th!*[/b]
NVC Received: April 2, 2009
NVC Shipped to Montreal Consulate: April 3, 2009
Montreal Consulate Received: April 6, 2009
Packet 3 Sent: April 9th, 2009
4/21: Contacted DoS RE lost packet 3 - operator told us to go ahead and send in all our documents
Packet 3 Received in Montreal: 4/22
Packet 3 logged in MTL: 4/24
Packet 4: June 3, 2009
[b]Interview Date: July 8, 2009!! APPROVED![/b]
POE & Date: July 15, 2009
Courthouse wedding: July 17, 2009

Ceremonial Wedding: First weekend June 2010 [/color]

I WISH I COULD FIX MY TIMELINE TOO! :)

[b]Getting it all together for the AOS :) [/b]

Timeline
Great thread! I'm the USC and the girl, but hey, thats okay :)We're getting married right away, so we can get the AP as fast as possible. still have some time to wait since we have no interview yet, but I will keep this thread on my list.

Good idea Poprocks!

Me too! We're getting married on a Friday and I VERY WELL intend to send in AoS information before we leave on our honeymoon the following Thursday. At least, get everything together and have someone else mail the info off that Thursday or Friday. ;)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

"I will check the filing fees. For financial, do I only need to send transcripts from 2008? or should I send them the past 3 years like we did for the I-134?"

This depends, if your fiancee makes alot over the poverty line, only the most recent year is required. If it's cutting it close, the past 3 years need to be sent in.

"I will file for EAD I-765 and AP I-131 at the same time. Are these included in the fee?"

Yes, $1010 includes EAD and AP.

"Also, what is the vaccination supp we have to submit? I have nothing left from my medical except for some checklist thing they gave me?"

I will speak for myself on this, I'm not telling you to do it this way as it's your choice. But the vaccination supplement means you have to go see a civil surgeon to transfer your vaccines onto this new form 693 or something like that, some people go to Dr. Arnold in Texas via phone and they fax you the form for a small fee. However, if your vaccines are completely up to date upon moving many people (like me) do not do it. I simply attached the checklist from the medical that came outside the sealed envelope, with a cover page stating that my vaccines were up to date. I did not receive an RFE for that and many don't, but once it a while you hear about people getting an RFE for not submitting the 693. It's a crapshoot, I took my chance and it worked!

"Once I file all this, which it appears all they really need is some financial stuff, marriage cert, etc... when do we put together all this 'proof' stuff...I see everyone submitting loads of leases, bank stuff, joint accounts, utilities etc... when do they need the proof?"

Yes, you need the financial evidence and marriage cert (MUST be certified) for AOS. You don't really need to gather evidence until you are called for an interview, they give you time. However you can put aside anything that will be good as proof, like if your name is added to the house/lease, any joint bills, health insurance, etc. If your case gets transferred to Cali Service Center, you're almost guaranteed approval w/o an interview and therefore no more proof needed. So you don't want to go crazy gathering all this proof because you may not even have an interview! Also to note, when you activate your K-1 you will have an I-94 stapled into your passport. For AOS you must also include a photocopy of this back and front.

"I see that I file all this, and that AP should take about 3 months. AOS takes about 7-8 months?

Am I given a GC for two years at that point?"

AP should take on average 3 months, many get it before that as I did. You hopefully will too! Well AOS timeline shows that, but lately those being transferred are getting approvals much quicker than 8 months, as you see by my timeline!

Yes after you send in the AOS package you will receive a notice for you to attend a biometrics appt at your local USCIS office (probably Philly). There you get your fingerprints and photo taken, look good because that's the photo on your EAD and green card LOL! You may or may not have an interview as noted above, either way when AOS is approved YES you get a 2 year conditional GC!

"Then after 2 years, we file to lift conditions? another interview?, we then get a 10 year card?"

Yes, in 2 years (90 days before the 2 year expiry date on your GC) you file to remove conditions, again interview is possible but not guaranteed! You have to send in lots of evidence with this package that you're still married and in a real relationship, etc. When approved for that, with or without an interview you get your 10 year card yay!

Regarding your son, I have no knowledge about that part since I came on my own so someone else will know that no doubt!

Jill, YOU ROCK!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

So looks like I will get my fiance on obtaining his 2008 IRS trans...and this should be good. I assume we are sending in a copy of marriage certificate and you said it needs to be notarized?

I think the cost to file for my son is $600, I will double check

I think I will take the same approach in sending in the vaccine sheet and take my chances... my vaccs are all up to date.

Once I get my package ready... i'll run it by you guys before I send it off.

i'm breaking up with my lawyer tmrw lol! :blush:

He's actually a great guy and i'm sure he'll be understanding... he's young and cool... he's actually one of my friends on FB... lol! wish me luck :)

i'm gonna look at the forms.

Is it better to fill them in, on line then print them? Also what type of payment is recommended?

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Oh let us know how it went with the lawyer because we're thinking on doing the same!

K-1
Oct. 2, 2008 - Sent I-129F to CSC
May 12, 2009 - Interview - Approved
July 28, 2009 - Civil Wedding
Sep. 5, 2009 - Wedding

AOS
Aug. 10, 2009 - AOS/EAD/AP Package received in Chicago
Oct. 27, 2009 - Interview - APPROVED !!
Nov. 06, 2009 - Green Card Received

ROC
Aug. 13, 2011 - ROC Package sent to VSC
May 31, 2012 - ROC - APPROVED !!!
June 11, 2012 - Green Card Received

Naturalization
Mar 21, 2013 - N-400 Package sent to Lewisville,TX
Mar 22, 2013 - Package delivered
Mar 26, 2013 - NOA
Mar 27, 2013 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2013 - Early Biometrics (Appt scheduled for April 18th)

Jul 10, 2013 - Interview - PASSED

Jul 26, 2013 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline
Awesome thread Poprocks! I will definitely add this to my watch list.

Thanks for the great information Jill! Just a point of clarification... We don't need to submit any relationship evidence with the AOS petition, correct? Aside from the marriage license of course. What you are suggesting is that we start collecting relationship evidence in the event we receive an AOS interview, which may or may not happen? If so, good! That will make filing AOS so much easier.

Yes, exactly right! After all, you've just recently had your K-1 interview, when sending AOS you won't really have much evidence to send, besides your marriage cert! So, no proof required of your "legitimate" relationship, until you possibly get called for an interview. So yes, just start gathering proof in case on an interview - but these are things you'd keep in a file anyway, like a lease or bills. So you're not really going out of your way or anything to gather stuff. If you are added to your spouses health insurance, well then you would keep that in your files. Yes filing for AOS, to me was the easiest part thus far of this journey! Then, if you are approved w/o an interview, just keep the evidence you collected aside in case you are called for a removal of conditons interview a few years later!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Is it better to fill them in, on line then print them? Also what type of payment is recommended?

Oooh!!! I know these answers... fill them in online (easier to read) and then print. The payment... (found here).

Please be sure you include the correct fee. Cases with the wrong fee will be rejected. Your payment must be in U.S. dollars. Checks and money orders must be from U.S. institutions. Do not mail cash. Checks are accepted subject to collection. Make your check out to “Department of Homeland Security” except that:

If you are filing an I-881 with the Immigration Court make your payment out to “Department of Justice”.

If you live in Guam, make your payment out to “Treasurer, Guam”.

If you live in the U.S. Virgin Islands, make your payment out to “Commissioner of Finance of the Virgin Islands”.

Please spell the name out completely. Do not use initials, such as DHS. Filing and biometric fees cannot be refunded. We may use electronic check conversion for the payment process. Our returned check fee is $30.

Guess I've got some stuff to work on besides finishing thank you notes and planning the wedding... LOL. Perhaps this can wait!!!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
This thread is awesome!! I was looking today on what's going on after the wedding and what are the AOS papers...

I'm still love in that the AOS approval. We're getting married Sept 5th. If we send our AOS mid-sept, would it mean that AP and EAD should come mid-dec and AOS approval a few weeks later??

And if I recall correctly, until EAD comes, I won't be able to work right?

I'm planning on quitting in May/June so I guess I'll have a very looooong vacation

Yes, if you apply for AOS mid-Sept, you can safely expect your AP/EAD by December. AOS approval, not necessarily a few weeks later, it doesn't happen that soon for everyone - but you may get lucky right! Some people get AOS approval before EAD/AP arrive!

Correct, until EAD arrives you are not legal to work. And don't think about taking a job paying cash only, because that isn't legal and if you were found out you could be deported (I'm not saying you'd do that, I just didn't know myself I couldn't take a cash job until I read it on here!)

Great thread! I'm the USC and the girl, but hey, thats okay :)We're getting married right away, so we can get the AP as fast as possible. still have some time to wait since we have no interview yet, but I will keep this thread on my list.

Good idea Poprocks!

Me too! We're getting married on a Friday and I VERY WELL intend to send in AoS information before we leave on our honeymoon the following Thursday. At least, get everything together and have someone else mail the info off that Thursday or Friday. ;)

That's a great idea July, to send your AOS before the honeymoon. My only suggestion, would be check out how long it will take to receive a certified marriage cert in the state of Michigan. Some states it can take a few weeks to receive, some a few days. So check beforehand, so you don't get dissapointed if you find out you can't file before the honeymoon :)

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
Jill, YOU ROCK!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

So looks like I will get my fiance on obtaining his 2008 IRS trans...and this should be good. I assume we are sending in a copy of marriage certificate and you said it needs to be notarized?

I think the cost to file for my son is $600, I will double check

I think I will take the same approach in sending in the vaccine sheet and take my chances... my vaccs are all up to date.

Once I get my package ready... i'll run it by you guys before I send it off.

i'm breaking up with my lawyer tmrw lol! :blush:

He's actually a great guy and i'm sure he'll be understanding... he's young and cool... he's actually one of my friends on FB... lol! wish me luck :)

The marriage cert doesn't need to be notarized, but certified. This is done by the courthouse or wherever when it is filed by the officiant who marries you, for PA it was just a raised seal and signed stating it has been filed, etc. And yes, a good quality copy to be sent never the original.

I would just send the vaccination worksheet, if you are up to date you should really be fine. Alot of people do that and didn't get an RFE, I'm sure you'll be fine. Why waste the $$ and go see a civil surgeon who will often try and get you to take a whole new medical, it's silly.

Fill them online and print them, much neater that way. Of course be sure to sign them when you print them off! Get the most updated forms at uscis.gov to ensure they are not expired, some people have had the whole packet sent back due to an expired form. For payment, regular personal cheque is fine, that's what we did!!

Edited by JillA

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

I'm a little concerned because we are planning to get married on day like 55 of my days in the US. So that only gives us 35 days to file AOS... Even less if you count the time we'll be away on our honeymoon. I think if I have the paperwork all prepared and get the medical form taken care of, we'll just be waiting on the marriage certificate, which SHOULD come by the time we need to file. I dunno... I hate deadlines! But my heart is set on a mid-June arrival, and the wedding is solid for August 6th, so I'll just deal with the pressure. My goal: File by the time day 88 rolls around and overnight that bad boy :P

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.