skparker

Taking over posessions and belongings

14 posts in this topic

hello again,

i just have a few issues in regards to taking over my posessions to the final POE in 9 DAYS TIME.

As everybody is probably aware, each passenger is allowed 2 suitcases (checked in) and 1 hand luggage. I will have 2 suitcases full of my clothes which will be checked in and boarded on the plane, so i will not have any room for my personal belongings. I dont have a great deal to take, but i want to take with me my DVD's and football trophies and so on, you know, some personal belongings, so i was thinking of having my dad bring all this over for me when he comes in for the wedding, im just a little worried that they might wonder why my dad is bringing these things and might deny him entry as it could look like he is moving himself. does anybody agree with me on this?? if so does anybody have any advice on what i should do??

Oh and i do not want to ship anything over as i do not want the expense of that as well as everything else we will have to pay for when i arrive and with the wedding and everything. although i havent looked into having anything shipped over but im certain that it isnt cheap and it will cost a few pretty pennies.

Any input will be much appreciated

Stuart

K-1 Journey - Please see our timeline

Got IL Drivers License: 7-18-09

New Job Started: 7-20-09

I-485

Sent: 5-20-09

Arrived: 5-25-09 (date on NOA1)

Cashed check: 6-2-09

NOA Date: 6-1-09

Touch: 6-3-09

Touch 6-5-09

Bio Apt Letter Received: 6-8-09 (letter dated 6-4-09)

Biometrics Apt: 6-19-09 @ 8:00AM DONE

Transfer Date: 6-19-09 to California Service Center

Touch: 6-22-09

Touch: 6-25-09

Touch: 8-17-09

Approval Date: 10-8-09 Card production & 10-14-09

Green Card Received: 10-17-09

EAD

Touch: 6-5-09

Touch: 6-22-09 (received and pending)

Card Production Ordered: 7-7-09

Touch: 7-8-09

Received Card in Mail: 7-10-09

AP

Approval Date: 6-30-09

Uscis says we were approved 6-30-09 but nothing was updated until 7-2-09 and i didnt receive any email until 7-2-09 from CRIS

Received in Mail : 7-6-09

File I-751: 7/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Keep in mind,Region 2 (PAL) DVD's don't play well on Region 1 (NTSC) DVD players here in the USA, you will need a region free PAL-NTSC converting DVD player.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Keep in mind,Region 2 (PAL) DVD's don't play well on Region 1 (NTSC) DVD players here in the USA, you will need a region free PAL-NTSC converting DVD player.

Yes i forgot to add i am aware of the differance in regions, thats why we will be getting a multi regional dvd player, so thanks. anyway im sure EVERYONE is aware of the differance in regions and all that BS

thanks anyway though

K-1 Journey - Please see our timeline

Got IL Drivers License: 7-18-09

New Job Started: 7-20-09

I-485

Cashed check: 6-2-09

Touch 6-5-09

Transfer Date: 6-19-09 to California Service Center

Touch: 6-22-09

Touch: 6-25-09

Touch: 8-17-09

Approval Date: 10-8-09 Card production & 10-14-09

Green Card Received: 10-17-09

EAD

Touch: 6-22-09 (received and pending)

Card Production Ordered: 7-7-09

Touch: 7-8-09

Received Card in Mail: 7-10-09

AP

Approval Date: 6-30-09

Uscis says we were approved 6-30-09 but nothing was updated until 7-2-09 and i didnt receive any email until 7-2-09 from CRIS

Received in Mail : 7-6-09

File I-751: 7/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes i forgot to add i am aware of the differance in regions, thats why we will be getting a multi regional dvd player, so thanks. anyway im sure EVERYONE is aware of the differance in regions and all that BS

thanks anyway though

I simply rip the non region 1 DVD using DVD shrink, this sets region to ZERO, and play them on a PC, or a region 1 NTSC-PAL DVD player.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I had my family bring over a ton of stuff last summer without any problem.

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

I brought 3 suitcases with me plus my hand luggage it was a nightmare to deal with it all on my own!! Those trolleys have a mind of their own.

When my parents came for my wedding they brought me 2 suitcases full of books, clothes, certificates, pictures, all kinds of random stuff and never got asked a thing. They also brought a whole case full of craft items in January and were never bothered either. I did make a point of bringing most of my cds and dvds through myself in my hand luggage though. I put them all into one of those 400+ carry cases with their inserts and sleafes and then put that with a few other things inside my carry on case (unbelievably heavy!!) They took them out and scanned them separately from my bag, asked why I needed to bring them into the US and I said here is a copy of my visa I'm emigrating and they said ok you have good taste in music. My rents brought a few boxsets and dvds with the cardboard boxes that I couldn't replace in their checked luggage in September and weren't asked anything about them though. I had read that occasionally people had been through weird ordeals with them checking every disc and didn't want my mum to have to deal with that. I made sure she had a photocopy of my visa and a letter from me saying that she was just helping me bring some stuff that I couldn't carry from home but it never got that far.

Anyway . . . my point is my parents never had any trouble bringing in all kinds of random items for me so I'm sure your dad will be just fine. If he has them in his carry on tell him to be prepared to explain that he is not bringing knock off DVDs in he is just being a kind transporter and maybe give him a photocopy of your visa and a letter saying they are your items so he doesn't have to pay import tax.

On another note I bought a brilliant Phillips HD multi-region dvd player from Amazon for under $100 and am so happy with it.

Hope you have a safe flight.

Becky xxx

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

My mum brought 2 cases of stuff over last summer, no problem. She just explained I had just got my GC and it was fine. The only thing the officer seemed bothered about was if she was bringing me tea - she wasn't as I'm not a big tea person - but they couldn't seem to believe that a Brit wouldn't be bringing tea! She had also just renewed her passport and they complained it was 'too new'! Anyway, after that they let her in fine and didn't search the cases.

Removing conditions:

10/9/10 - Package sent to Vermont

10/13/10 - NOA1 date, received 10/18

Filed: Other Timeline

You might consider posting a box through Royal Mail for some of the stuff.

My husband posted a box of DVD's when he came over. The box was roughly the size of a coat box - maybe 24 inches by 18 inches by 6 inches high. He sent it the slow-boat method and it was about 60 quid.

I know it's not cheap, but if your Dad can't stuff it all in his cases - it's an option.

For folks bringing over CD's, one option to reduce weight and space is to remove the CD's from their jewel cases and slip them into a CD album. (Bring the paper covers with you of course). You can re-insert them and the covers into new jewel cases once you arrive.

I paid for an extra suitcase on my trip over - it only cost about £80. Then I had my parents bring some things over on their first visit and I have a plan to bring more things over each time I come back for a visit. I'm planning on at least 3 visits a year back home so will have plenty of opportunity to slowly get everything over. Still not sure what to do about the furniture and big items.

I paid for an extra suitcase on my trip over - it only cost about £80. Then I had my parents bring some things over on their first visit and I have a plan to bring more things over each time I come back for a visit. I'm planning on at least 3 visits a year back home so will have plenty of opportunity to slowly get everything over. Still not sure what to do about the furniture and big items.

Extra suitcases has always been a good idea. When my husband came over there were eight bags in total (he checked three, I checked three and we each carried one). We paid $160 US dollars for the extra two checked bags. That's a whole lot cheaper than shipping a tea chest.

I didn't know if this option still worked as well as it used to (we did this almost four years ago and at that time the weight limit on a suitcase was 70 pounds). It sounds like lsma is saying she came over very recently so it must still work. Airlines keep tightening their weight limits so it'd be a good option to check with your carrier before you made plans.

But yeah - that's how we did it.

PS - there are still two HUGE boxes of comic books in my brother-in-laws attic. Dunno HOW we are ever gonna get those back over here. They weigh a ton.

I would think the best way to transport comic books, books and printed matter would be an m-bag

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content...;catId=14800159

<H1 class=Section>International Destination Sort

</H1>This service enables you to make savings on bulk international mail if you sort mail by destination and by type – letters, flats or packets.

Save even more money if you’re sending printed material such as books to a single address by using a labelled M-bag (which can be supplied by Royal Mail).

90day.jpg

I would think the best way to transport comic books, books and printed matter would be an m-bag

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content...;catId=14800159

<H1 class=Section>International Destination Sort

</H1>This service enables you to make savings on bulk international mail if you sort mail by destination and by type – letters, flats or packets.

Save even more money if you’re sending printed material such as books to a single address by using a labelled M-bag (which can be supplied by Royal Mail).

Thanks for that.

We leave for a visit on Monday so we'll check that out whilst over there.

PS - We stored the books in two huge boxes the size that PC's come in................. :lol::help:

Edited by rebeccajo

I brought an extra case with me. Current charges for AA are $150 per case.

K1 Journey

I-129F Sent : 2nd July 2008

NOA1 : 25th July 2008

NOA2 : 28th November 2008

NVC Received : 2nd December 2008

NVC Left : 12th January 2009

Consulate Received : 26th January 2009

Packet 3 Sent : 27th January 2009

Interview: 19th February 2009

Visa in hand : 24th February 2009

Flew to US: 28th February 2009

Wedding Day 10th March 2009 in snowy Colorado

AOS Journey

AOS package sent : 24th March 2009

NOA: 31st March 2009

AOS transferred to CSC: 13th April 2009

Biometrics Appt: 23rd April 2009

AOS approved 13th May 2009

Green Card received 9th June 2009

Stuck in AP at NVC thread

UK AOS Progress Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.