antda

To Carolina, California, Canada, and beyond I go…

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been online in awhile, as I've been doing a bit of travelling lately this week. Nevertheless, here is my "To Carolina, California, Canada, and beyond I go…" story telling of the highlights of what happened during my recent travels, which you can read about it below:

New York – This is where my adventure begins. We decide to head on another road trip, since my mother-in-law/mom was moving to North Carolina to my sister-in-law's and her family's place there. The morning we were about to go, my husband had parked our minivan on our lawn near our front steps on a wet and rainy day, as we had a few heavy items to load into the car. Well, with all that rain and softness of the grass and soil, our van got stuck on the side of the muddy nearby ditch and we had to get a tow truck to pull it out. Lesson learned: Do not park a vehicle on a wet lawn near to a ditch. Nevertheless, the next day, we were on our way, with the minivan stuffed from top to bottom and ready to go.

North Carolina – We got there in about 13 hours and 750 miles later, but stopping along the way to stay overnight at a hotel in-between. When we finally got to North Carolina, we were caught in the middle of a "big snowstorm" (lol…2 inches of snow is a snowstorm?) and it was a "snow day" for the school kids there, so everything was closed. We ended up staying for 3 days at my sister-in-law's, making sure mom got settled and everything there was ok for her too. It was good that we spent the extra family time together, as it would be awhile before we would see her again. I even got to spend some extra time with my nieces, whom I had never met before then. Who knew that being around children could be so much fun! I guess this is a taste of what I have to look forward to when it comes to parenthood.

California- While I was in North Carolina, my husband was checking our e-mail on his sister's computer. He came down the stairs from the office room, and tells me: "They just transferred your case". "No way, I didn't expect that to happen for another 2 weeks or so", I say and walk up the stairs to where he is. But sure enough, when I look on the computer screen, and see the following message:

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: EAC….(with 10 digits of my case following after it)

Application Type: CRI89 , PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED

Current Status: This case has been sent to another office for processing because it has jurisdiction over the case.

On March 2, 2009, we transferred this CRI89 PETITION TO REMOVE CONDITIONS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS RECEIVED to our CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER location for processing because they now have jurisdiction over the case. We sent you a notice of this transfer. Please follow any instructions on this notice. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. We process cases in the order we receive them. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. This case has been sent to our CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER location. Follow the link below to check processing dates. You can also receive automatic e-mail updates as we process your case. Just follow the link below to register.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status results listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within the current processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375-5283.

Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov under Case Status and Processing Dates. Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

I'm in disbelief over this, and yet I am happy about the news, and wonder when they will approve my case, as it's been almost 7 months of waiting for me in Vermont before. So maybe this transfer is a sign of good things to come, and hopefully my case will be approved in the next few weeks or so in California, as so many cases are approved quickly there. Now the rest of the waiting continues for me in California…

West Virginia –We see a cop pulled over on the side of the road. We think nothing of it, and continue along our way, until we see the headlights behind us and realize we were being chased. "Ummm…were we going too fast?", I asked my husband. My husband says "No, as I was only going 65 mph, five miles under their limit", and we pull over to the right side of the road, across the bumpy grinding parallel ridges that are there. The officer asks for my husband's license and registration, which he hands over to them and then states to us "It's a law here in West Virginia that you're supposed to yield to the left and slow down when an emergency vehicle is pulled over the right." My husband then says, "Sorry, I didn't know." The cop then goes back to his vehicle, does a background check, and hands us a yellow piece of paper and says, "I'll let you go with a warning this time." We drive off, and I think to myself "Thank goodness for that, as we can't afford another ticket…"

A few hours later, I was a bit hungry, my back started to ache and my husband's right leg and foot started to cramp from the driving, so I suggested that we find a park and take a walk there. We had picked out a park on the map to go to but couldn't find it so we decide to head back on the highway and go to "Prickett's Fort State Park" instead. We walk around the park for about a half hour or so, take a couple of photos and eat our packed dinner sandwiches there. Just when we were about to go, I notice that the back tire of the minivan was flat, probably from when we pulled over on the side of the road about two hours earlier. Feeling frustrated now that we could be stranded in the parking lot of a small and now closed park, we decide to instead drive out of the lot, through the winding roads, and trying to find our way back to town for help. The tire was getting worse and worse, so we had to stop somewhere safe to call for help. We stopped at the only business we could see within sight, in this very small town. It turned out to be a truck repair shop, one though that looked closed up. So we called the toll free 24-hour emergency road service number on their "Hillbillys" sign and within a few minutes they sent someone to fix our tire and replacing it with a 'new' one, with us hoping the tire would last the rest of the way back home.

Pennsylvania- The sun was setting when we got there and our gas tank was near empty so we get off at the nearest highway exit, only to find one gas station on top of a hill. So we head into the gas station for gas, only to find that it was for "Sam's Club Members Only", which we didn't have membership for. Luckily, the person at the pump behind us was a member, and helped us there by using their club membership card, and co-incidentally told us that they had family who were from our New York State area too.

New York- After mostly non-stop 13 hours of driving, we finally were about to enter that part of New York State which was not far from home, about forty minutes away. It was now about midnight or so, and again, we realized that we were running out of gas so we were searching for an open station. About 25 miles from our final destination, we finally passed by three gas stations, only to find that none of them were opened that late in the night. Thank goodness that at the fourth gas station, and just as our car started sputtering fifteen minutes from home, there was a light on at the only gas station that was left on our way home, and we filled up the gas tank there, and made it back to our place safely.

Canada- In the pitch-black of midnight, I open the front door to get back in the house. And wedged tightly in between the screen door and the front door is a yellow and red package from DHL. I take it back inside the house, open it up, and find my new Canadian passport inside. "Odd, that the package would be left there, especially in that it says 'signature required' on it", I was thinking. As well, I was surprised that the passport would come so early, as I thought I would get that later on next week. Nevertheless, I was happy that I got it (about 2 weeks later from when I first applied and 2 days after they said they would mail it out by), so I don't have to worry about not having an expired Canadian passport for the next 5 years anymore. Oh to Canada I shall go someday again!

New York- The next morning (today), I hear a knock on the door from our neighbour, whom told us that they were the one that signed for our package, as the DHL guy went to their house as we weren't home during delivery and as a signature was required. As well, we woke up to find that our pipes were frozen (we had forgotten to turn up the heaters before heading to North Carolina) and we had no water in the morning. Luckily, it got warmer in the afternoon, and the water unfroze.

So this is where this story ends, with the pipes unfreezing and with me writing this true story back home in New York State. Thanks for reading about it here, everyone. Funny, how things happen when you least expect them to, and that there can be so many friendly people while traveling to help along the way, indeed!

Ant (Travelling and Still Waiting….)

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ant,

Your next challenge is to write a book about your experiences. I'd be the first on amazon.com buying it! :yes: If we can all send $600 to the USCIS every now and again, I am sure we can afford $20 to buy the hard back edition of "Ant's Adventures"!

Timeline

I-130

February 13, 2006: I-130 filed (US Embassy, Dublin, Ireland).

April 18, 2006: Interview date received.

May 02, 2006: Interview (US Embassy, Dublin, Ireland). Visa approved.

June 14, 2006: Moved to Charlotte, NC.

July 20, 2006: 'Welcome to the United States' letter received.

July 21, 2006: Applied for SSN.

July 29, 2006: SSN received.

September 05, 2006: 2 year Permanent Resident card received.

I-751

April 09, 2008: Mailed I-751 to TSC.

April 15, 2008: Check cashed.

April 16, 2008: Case transferred to VSC.

April 23, 2008: Biometrics appointment letter received.

May 10, 2008: Biometrics appointment.

June 28, 2008: Moved to Clearwater, FL (Filed AR-11 and I-865).

March 04,2009: 10 year Permanent Resident card production ordered.

March 13,2009: 10 year Permanent Resident card received.

N-400

April 24, 2009: Mailed N-400 to TX Lockbox.

April 30, 2009: NOA1 Notice date.

May 11, 2009: Biometrics appointment letter received.

May 16, 2009: Biometrics complete (walk-in).

June 04, 2009: Interview letter received.

July 23, 2009: Interview.

July 23, 2009: Oath. I am a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
Ant,

Your next challenge is to write a book about your experiences. I'd be the first on amazon.com buying it! :yes: If we can all send $600 to the USCIS every now and again, I am sure we can afford $20 to buy the hard back edition of "Ant's Adventures"!

I second that! I love reading your stories like always, Ant! :thumbs:

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Hello Ant,

If there's one day that you decided to come down to Houston Texas, I'll treat you to real Southern BBQ. Not that I want to promote segregation, I do love all BBQ, I said that just because I'm living down south right now. I'll also invite other Houstonians VJers e.g. golferadam, wannabe_texans, etc. etc. We'll take pictures and post it here. hmm... something to add to your book? :whistle:

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

ohhh my... i love your stories

Mailed N-400 March 6th via priority certified mail and Rec'd 9th (confirmation by USPS)

NOA rec'd: 3/19/2009 (date 3/16/2009, priority 3/9/2009)

Biometrics rec'd 3/26/2009, appt 4/9/2009

IL: 5/22/09

ID: 07/06/2009

Oath: 07/16/2009

SSN updated: 7/16/2009 (not received yet)

Passport rec'd: 8/15/2009(nat. certif not rec'd yet)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading my story and for replying to it too. Here are my replies to you all:

J&D-Thanks for your compliments here about wanting to buy my future book. Actually I am seriously thinking about writing a book about my "Ant's Adventures" life experiences, as I enjoy writing and have written much non-formally before, and have been through a lot. Meanwhile, my husband and I are working on our home business, which coindicentially involves my husband selling his own book (it's about an analysis of America's social issues), artwork, and our creations. Funny, how we both actually met through an online writing group, as we both love to write too.

For more information about our just-completed website, anyone can feel free to PM me about it.

Lili-Thanks for your compliments too. Glad you love reading my stories here on VJ. I'm looking forward to posting more stories here later on (lol..that is, if nobody else objects)....

Jasminelily-BBQ...yummy! Thanks for the invite for a southern BBQ dinner. It would definitely be fun if we can all have a VJ in-person get-together sometime in Texas, or Anywhere Else in America! And yes, it would be quite the story to tell here on VJ, indeed! Actually, we were thinking about going to Texas sometime, as we have friends that we would like to meet there too, along with our other VJ friends such as you here.

As well, we'll be going to North Carolina again, so if any VJers are en route from New York State to North Carolina, we can arrange to meet too.

Queendlee-Thanks for your compliments too. Glad you love reading my stories here on VJ too.

Lol...posting "stories" here on VJ sure does make the "immigration wait" more interesting! Glad you were all entertained here, and yes, the enterainment continues....:pop:

Ant (Still waiting, Still entertaining...)

Ant,

I second that! I love reading your stories like always, Ant! :thumbs:

Hello Ant,

If there's one day that you decided to come down to Houston Texas, I'll treat you to real Southern BBQ. Not that I want to promote segregation, I do love all BBQ, I said that just because I'm living down south right now. I'll also invite other Houstonians VJers e.g. golferadam, wannabe_texans, etc. etc. We'll take pictures and post it here. hmm... something to add to your book? :whistle:

ohhh my... i love your stories

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

that was the first story of yours that i have read but found it amusing . If you do get to Nth Carolina you need to come on down to Sth Carolina at our house we grill and smoke the door is always open lol

Ange

Here we go again !

Lifting conditions

Oct 14th 08 ..... Mailed the I-751. Back in the system we go

Oct 18th 08 ..... NOA receipt date

Oct 20th 08 ..... Check has been cashed, waiting on the NOA1 and Biometrics appointment now.

Oct 24th 08 ..... NOA arrives in post.

Nov 13th 08 ..... Receive date for Bio-metrics in Atlanta.

Nov 28th 08 ..... Bio-metrics appointment.

Feb 18th 09 ..... Date of decision to remove conditions on permanent residency.

Feb 23rd 09 ..... Received notification on approval ( via snail mail ). Green card on order.

Feb 26th 09 ..... Card production ordered. Pleas wait 30 days ( as per case status on USCIS home page ).

Mar 7th 09 ....... My 10 yr green card arrives.

Apr 22nd 09 ..... Sons 10 yr green card finally arrives( after a nudge at VSC from the USCIS helpline)

Going to take a little break from the immigration stuff.

31e3d60.jpg.png

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading my story and for replying to it too. Here are my replies to you all:

1daysoon/Ange-Thanks for finding this story amusing. For more of my 'humourous' stories that I posted here on VJ before, you can read them by: going to my VJ Profile--->Member Options-->Find Member's Topics. Hope you like reading those stories, as you did reading this one. Wow, it looks like everyone here on VJ sure enjoys BBQing! Yummy! Thanks for the invite for a South Carolina "open door" BBQ dinner too. As I mentioned before, my husband and I are going back to North Carolina sometime (and maybe travelling even further south in the USA too), so it would definitely be fun if we can all have a VJ in-person get-together sometime in South Carolina, or Anywhere Else in America! By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how far is it away from Greer SC (on your profile it says you're from there) from Concord/Charlotte, North Carolina?

Glad you were all entertained here, and yes, the enterainment continues.... :pop:

that was the first story of yours that i have read but found it amusing . If you do get to Nth Carolina you need to come on down to Sth Carolina at our house we grill and smoke the door is always open lol

Ange

Edited by AntandD

As I mentioned before, my husband and I are going back to North Carolina sometime (and maybe travelling even further south in the USA too), so it would definitely be fun if we can all have a VJ in-person get-together sometime in South Carolina, or Anywhere Else in America!

Ange

Cool!! Maybe when you do a SC tour, I'll be living in it by then!!! I'm hoping to move to Sumter this summer, ( depending on immigration of course :lol:) and that's only two hours from Charlotte! I really need to tour the State more; I've never heard of Greer. Course, I've only been there twice. Love Myrtle Beach. Think I'll be asking Tim to take me out there lots. I won't have to twist his arm too much. He likes to go out there too.

And yes. Love the story. Glad you got your passport safely!! I'm surprised they let someone else sign for it though.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Hi Everyone,

TimandJoyce-Thanks for liking my story, and good luck with your move to South Carolina this summer. Hope all goes well with your "big move", and hope that immigration gets your case approved soon so that you can move there in the timeframe that you planned to. That's neat that you'd be moving to Sumter, which is not far from Charlotte. Yes, I'll let you all on VJ know when I'll be travelling again, as it would be fun to visit more places in the USA and meet VJers along the way too. I agree, I think that everyone should "tour the USA/States" more, as there is so much to see in the USA, indeed! I'm glad that I got my Canadian passport safely in the USA too, as I was kind of worried before that it would get lost in the mail or something (lol..believe me, I've had my share of problems with mail between these two countries). Likewise, I'm surprised they let someone else signed for it, as I didn't think that they would do that, for confidentiality/privacy reasons or whatever else. I guess not then, as maybe they just want to get the package "out of their hands", and don't really care who signs it. What surprised me even more though, is that our neighbour (whom had issues about their former dog biting the mailperson before) signed for it, and was even nice enough to make sure that we got it. Oh how good things happen when one least expects them to!.... :thumbs:

Glad you were all entertained here, and yes, the enterainment continues.... :pop:

Cool!! Maybe when you do a SC tour, I'll be living in it by then!!! I'm hoping to move to Sumter this summer, ( depending on immigration of course :lol: ) and that's only two hours from Charlotte! I really need to tour the State more; I've never heard of Greer. Course, I've only been there twice. Love Myrtle Beach. Think I'll be asking Tim to take me out there lots. I won't have to twist his arm too much. He likes to go out there too.

And yes. Love the story. Glad you got your passport safely!! I'm surprised they let someone else sign for it though.

Edited by AntandD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.