antda

AntandD's Bad Luck and Good Luck Story (Part 2 of 2)...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

By the way, if you haven't done so, you can read Part 1 of this story here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry2671551

Here is the continuation of the "AntandD's Bad Luck and Good Luck Story…(Part 1 of 2)..." story, as told here:

[/size]

"AntandD's Bad Luck and Good Luck Story…(Part 2 of 2)..."

(Monday Feb 16th):

Ok, so I really wanted to get this Passport thing "done and over with", so despite it being a holiday on both sides of the border (President's Day in the USA, and Family Day in Canada), we decided to take a risk anyways, and hoped that the Passport Canada office was opened today. So on a bright and sunny winter afternoon, we drove there, in our 'new' minivan, which we had purchased last week and wanted to test drive today.

We crossed the Peace Bridge in Buffalo, NY/ Fort Erie, Ontario. Surprisingly, there weren't too many delays there, even though the signs there said that there were delays at all of the three Western New York border crossings. When we got on the Peace Bridge Crossing this was what happened:

D: Hands over the following identification to the guard at the booth: D's US Birth Certificate, D's US Driver's License, Ant's expired Canadian passport, Ant's outdated Canadian Citizenship Card, Ant's expired US 2yr Green Card, Ant's 1year NOA extension letter, Ant's US Driver's License

Canadian Border Guard: "Country of Citizenship?"

D: "United States for me. Canada for her (points at Ant)"

Canadian Border Guard: "What's your status in the USA (looks at Ant)?"

Ant: "I'm a Permanent Resident. There's a Green Card in there that we gave you."

Canadian Border Guard: "How many people are there?"

D: "Just the two of us"

Canadian Border Guard: "Of the same family?"

D: "Yes. She's my wife (points at Ant)"

Canadian Border Guard: "Where are you going?"

D: "To St. Catherine's to renew her Canadian passport"

Canadian Border Guard: "How long are you staying there?"

D: "About 2 hours or so."

Canadian Border Guard: "You sure you're not visiting anyone else there?"

Ant: "No. Not today. Maybe another day."

Canadian Border Guard: (scans Ant's Green Card in the machine, looks at all of the other identification that we had given them).

Canadian Border Guard: "Ok. Have a good day" (and gives us back our identification)

D: Drives to the next toll booth, and pays the $3 USD in toll bridge fees.

We continue driving along the QEW, on our way to the Passport Canada office in St. Catherine's, Ontario. The highway and the businesses in the area seemed deserted (oh what 'good luck' here), with less people out and about during this holiday. We also stopped at a gas station along the way, as we didn't have a detailed map of the area with us. When we got the directions, we drove for another 10 minutes or so, to the downtown area until we reached the passport office. There were no parking lots there, so we had to park on a nearby side street, in front of a parking meter. However, we didn't have Canadian change with us, so we just parked without paying and hoped that we didn't get a parking ticket. As we were walking towards the building, we 'luckily' noticed parking much nearer, and there were already minutes in the meter. So we moved our vehicle to that parking space, and again, hoped that we didn't get a ticket there.

When we got the building, we went to the first marked office, took a number, and had a seat. 'Luckily', there were only 2 other people ahead of me, and I was called up the counter pretty quickly. The worker behind the desk checked my documents and forms, stapled them together, gave me another number, and said that I had to go to the room down the hall for further processing.

We went into the room further down the hall, and there were only about 4 or so other people ahead of me. I gave my number to the guard at the door there, and was told to get another number at the machine. I waited for a couple of minutes, and my number called. I walked up to the counter gave them my information, and this is what happened:

Passport Worker: "Are you doing any traveling soon?"

Ant: "Ummm….I had to travel to get here.." (hands over the completed forms, paperwork, 2 passport photos, and other identification)

Passport Worker: "I see that you're in New York State" (looks at my driver's license)

Ant "Yes"

Passport Worker: "Proof of Canadian Citizenship?"

Ant: (hands over the expired passport and outdated citizenship card)

Passport Worker: (looks through all the forms and paperwork)

Ant: "Do you need my marriage certificate, as this new passport is in another name?"

Passport Worker: "That's already in the records" (note: I had added a married name paper notation in my previous expired passport)

Passport Worker: (puts the 2 passport photos on cardboard, asks Ant to sign it)

Ant: (Note about Canadian passport photos: They can be done in the USA at any Walmart photo portrait studio, for about $11 USD or so. Just make sure they are 'Canadian Passport Sized' and signed and dated by the photographer and guarantor)

Passport Worker: (types information into their computer)

Passport Worker: "Isn't your other birth country (states country here)? But you don't have your place of birth listed here on this application form."

Ant: "Yes, I know that. It's in that letter that I attached, explaining as to why I didn't want it included there (allowable by Passport Canada, by the way). I only have Canadian citizenship now, and I plan on applying for American citizenship later. I don't have any ties to my other birth country, as it's just too confusing to be associated with three countries. Besides, I mainly travel between Canada and the USA, so that should be ok."

Passport Worker: "Just a minute, let me get you another form" (runs back to get form)

Passport Worker: "Can you sign and date this 'birth country omission' form for me?"

Ant: "I'll just write the date in whole, as it's too confusing to write 'backwards' in metric. It's so confusing to go from metric to non-metric, and vice versa. (signs and dates form)

Passport Worker: "Yeah, it must be."

Passport Worker: "You should get your passport in the mail in 2 weeks or so, on about March 2nd or so, is that ok?"

Ant: "Yes, that's fine, and 'good' for me. It saves me from taking another trip up here anyways. By the way, do you send it by USPS or some other method?"

Passport Worker: "I think it's sent by DHL." (Also gives me a receipt for the new passport, which I put in my expired passport for safekeeping)

Ant: "Ok. Thanks."

Passport Worker: "The Passport Fee now is $87, instead of $97 that you have a Canadian money order here for."

Ant: "I didn't know that, as I just printed out what was on the website, and I thought it was that amount, as it was listed as that for Canadians in America. Plus someone else made that money order for me, so and they didn't know about that either."

Passport Worker: "Well, they changed the rules on that this year. We can give you your $10 back though, but I don't know what you will do with Canadian cash."

Ant: "I guess I can exchange it, or spend it or something." (feeling 'lucky' that I got a 'discount' because of a 'rule change' or 'something else')

Passport Worker: (gives Ant back a crispy purple Canadian $10 bill)

Passport Worker: "Would you like your expired passport back as a souvenir?"

Ant: "Ummm..I need it to get back home to the USA. So yeah, I would like it back."

Passport Worker: "Yes, it's better to have an expired passport then no passport. But I have to cut off the top right corner, so that you don't use this one." (cuts the passport)

Ant: "That's ok, it's expired anyways."

Passport Worker: "Have a good day." (gives back the rest of the identification too)

We both leave the office, about 20 minutes later, quicker than what we expected, and 'luckily' didn't get a parking ticket. So we decide to drive back home early on the very deserted QEW instead of staying in Canada for longer. This time, we decided to cross back home on the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, in Queenston, Ontario/Lewiston, NY. We waited for about 20 mins or so at this bridge, as there was quite a bit of traffic there. When we got the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge Crossing this was what happened:

D: Hands over the following identification to the guard at the booth: D's US Birth Certificate, D's US Driver's License, Ant's expired Canadian passport and new passport receipt, Ant's expired US 2yr Green Card, Ant's 1year NOA extension letter, Ant's US Driver's License.

Ant: (feels nervous and in a bit of pain, as the Baby is kicking really hard inside)

American Border Guard: "Country of Citizenship?"

D: "United States for me. Canada for her (points at Ant)"

Canadian Border Guard: "How many people are there?"

D: "Just the two of us"

American Border Guard: "Where are you headed?"

D: "Back home to (Small Town), New York"

American Border Guard: "How long have you been out of the country?"

D: "1 hour. To renew her (points to Ant) Canadian passport"

American Border Guard: "Do you have anything that you are bringing back with you?"

D: "Nothing."

American Border Guard: (looks through all the identification, is somewhat confused, and pays particular attention to Ant's passport receipt, expired green card, extension letter)

American Border Guard: (scans Ant's Green Card in the machine, looks at all of the other identification that we had given them).

American Border Guard: "Have a nice one." (and gives us back our identification)

So this is where this story ends, with all 'good luck', on a holiday weekend. As we crossed the border back home, we couldn't help but notice that the traffic was really bad going back into Canada. 'Luckily', we were headed back the other way to the USA, and didn't get stuck in that big jam. Lol…"So this is how Canadians spend Family Day, shopping in the USA, no wonder Canada was deserted when we went there." I thought to myself, as I saw the big backup along the border back to Canada.

We did a little bit of shopping in Niagara Falls, NY, too (lol…and Ant had to go to the bathroom). We also bought a Baby item (which we got the last on the shelf of, 'lucky' us again), did some grocery shopping, stopped at McDonalds for a quick snack (lol…Ant had a craving for chicken snack wraps), and then drove back home….

Now I wait for the mail for that new Canadian Passport to come….

Ant (Good luck, No more bad luck?...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

what an interesting story!! the first part was quite funny and humorous wirth regards to your "badluck" but overall your story is worth reading for..never been to Canada but planning to go there one day..I hope this time you receive your new passport and your GC at the same time. Goodluck! :thumbs:

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

I'd say your green card and Canadian passport all come within the same week. Just wild guess. :dance:

Edited by jasminelily

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I love reading your stories, Ant!!

I am glad it all went well, this was such a smooth process for you to renew your passport!

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading part 2 of my good luck/bad luck story, even though it wasn't as interesting as the first part...lol...Nevertheless, I'm glad you liked it, and I'm glad it kept you here all entertained! :pop:

As for the "new" minivan, yes the "new" one drives a lot better than the "old" one, especially more so that the "new" one gets better gas mileage and has less miles on it before. So far so good, as we haven't had any problems with the "new" one yet.

Hopefully, I won't have to worry about expired documents anymore the next time I cross over, as I hope to have my new Canadian passport and 10yr green card by then. Lol...showing 2 or 3 pieces of valid documentation is a lot easier than showing 4 pieces of outdated/expired documents anyday!

Lol..by the way that 1 year extension letter is so worn out, after about 6 months or so of use...Half of the ink is nearly faded on it, and it has been water-soaked already (I accidently spilled some water on it)! No wonder the border guard had such a hard time reading it! I can't wait to get that new 10 year greenc card in the mail, which I have already been waiting 6 months for at the VSC, and am still waiting...grrr....

Funny, how the 10 year green card contains just as much information as passport, and yet it only takes a few weeks for a passport and so long for a green card....Why is that the case?...hmmm....

By the way, as for "which will come first", to be honest with you, chances are, I think the following will happen, in the following order:

Canadian Passport (in 1-2 weeks): March 2009

Baby (in 5 months in addtion to the 4 months that I've been waiting for already): July 2009

10 year Green Card (in 5 months or more later in addition to the 6 monts that I've been waiting for already): July 2009 or later

US Citizenship: Sometime in 2010

Lol...I seriously doubt that anything will happen sooner than that...If it does, I say that I'll be "extra lucky" then, and "win the lottery" at the same time too...

Oh well, I'll still be "waiting", as that's all I can do for now really....

Ant (Still waiting for the Canadian Passport, Still waiting for the US 10yr card, Still waiting for Baby, Still waiting for US Citizenship...Do you see a "waiting" pattern here?..lol...)

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.