AusCal

LA Interview Experience

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I had my citizenship interview at the Los Angeles office last week, and am finally managed to post my experience. I am happy to say I was approved (or rather, my application was recommended for approval), but, for what was really a straight forward case, I managed to have lots of little hiccups on the way, and, by the time I anticipate taking the oath, it will have been 18 months since I sent in my application!

Some "history" first :

When my application was received by USCIS, my mailing address was not processed, so, while I was lucky enough to receive the NOA1 at my street address, my biometrics appointment noticed went astray while my AR-11 to correct the mailing address was being processed. A service request advised me, after the fact, of my biometrics appointment date, and I ended up doing my fingerprints as a walk-in.

I received noticed in August of my interview date in early Sept 08. Howerver, I had a overseas work assignment (for a US based company) from Aug to mid-dec 08, so, I wrote to the address listed, explained that I would be unavailable for the appointment, and why, and requesting it to be re-scheduled after Dec 08. I received signed Delivery confirmation from USPS that the letter was received.

My next letter from the USCIS was a notice stating that I had missed my interview appointment, and, unless I expleined within 30 days why this had occurred, my case would be administatrivly closed. I wasted some time calling the info line after this, witht he only response being service request that generated a reply that I need to explain in writing why I missed the appointment. So, I wrote (again), explaining that I was working away from home, attaching copies of the original letter I sent, and the signed delivery confirmation etc

I received a letter for a rescheduled appoint, 7th January, 09.

My appointment was for 7.15, the LA office does not start allowing people in till 7am, I lined up outside at 6.45am. I barely made it in the front door at about 7.12am, then hustled up to the interview room on the 6th floor. I put my interview notice in the tray, and sat and waited - there were about 8 other people in the small waiting room. I was called in around 7.40 am.

My interviewer led me into a small office, had me raise hand and swear to tell the truth etc. I then sat and she asked for my green card and DL. My file was sitting on her desk - about 3-4 inches of it. I applied based on 5 years of permanent residency. She pulled out a letter I had added to my application , explaining my employment. I work as a short term employee, sometimes I may only be employed for one day, sometimes two months, sometimes a week etc. I explained it was not possible to list all my employers for the past five years, but, did list ten payroll companies I was paid through. The interviewer had troubles understanding this, she kept wanting me to say I was self employed, but, I told her I received W-2's, and file tax returns. She asked if I had tax returns with me, I replied that I didn't, as I hadn't seen listed that they were required "well, they are" was her snappy reply. I was then told I would need to go downstairs to" the tax people and get cleared" - she didn't think it could be done that day, because they were backlogged with end of year concerns. In hindsight, I should have taken the precaution as taking tax transcripts.

We moved onto the N-400 application. For some reason my file only showed my middle initial, my application had my entire middle name listed. So, she filled out an application for a "change of name". So, they process my application inaccurately, and I have to petition a judge to change my name to correct it - whatever, I signed the necessary forms.

We moved though with me werbally confirming the information on the application.

Then she got to the "trips outside the US part" - I had 7 trips listed, and also handed her a list of the three trips I had taken since I lodged my application. Two of my trips were lengthy, 5 1/2 months & 4 months, I thought this may be questioned, but, other than checking the number of days were correct, and re-totaling them up, it was not problematic. It did seem to take quite some time for her to check the number of days etc. I had not included the day of leaving and day of return in the number of days for the trip (as per guidelines), but, she told me that you include the day you leave, but not the day you return. Once again - whatever, I was nowhere near borderline on number of days, so it seemed irrelevant.

She then asked me civic questions (from the old test - no option given) - ten out of ten correct:-), and did the very simple writing/reading test.

She then printed me me out a form showing details as they would appear on my citizenship certificate. I checked through the info - but, it was showing my previous country of citizenship as Austria, it should have been Australia. I took her some time to get back on the computer and update this "minor" detail. Apparently, it was processed incorrectly when my N-400 application was originally entered. Whoever processed my application really made some errors! I needed to re-sign my "change-of -name" petition, then, she reprinted the oath information, this time it was correct.

I noticed she had stamped my file Approved - I wondered about the tax issue - should I mention it? had she forgotten?.

She handed my back my drivers licence, and told me I was approved "I won't worry about that tax thing, it's fine" - or words to that effect. I then followed her tot he corridor where she copied my green card and approval notice. I asked abouth the possible time of the oath ceremony - she told me Jan & Feb are full, I would receive a letter for the March ceremony. She then handed me my card and letter , and pointed to the door I should leave through. And that, was it, I was in the interview room for 45-50 minutes.

My overall impression of my interviewer was that she was cold, and somewhat abrupt. Definitely not friendly LOL. I am glad to receive my approval,be at the end of my error strewn application, and look forward to never having to deal with the USCIS again (well, after the oath anyway).

If you have read this way, I hope my story was helpful, if not entertaining :-)

Just as an aside, I noticed when I left the building at approx 8.30am that there was no delay at security for those entering the building.

Edited by AusCal

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
I had my citizenship interview at the Los Angeles office last week, and am finally managed to post my experience. I am happy to say I was approved (or rather, my application was recommended for approval), but, for what was really a straight forward case, I managed to have lots of little hiccups on the way, and, by the time I anticipate taking the oath, it will have been 18 months since I sent in my application!

Some "history" first :

When my application was received by USCIS, my mailing address was not processed, so, while I was lucky enough to receive the NOA1 at my street address, my biometrics appointment noticed went astray while my AR-11 to correct the mailing address was being processed. A service request advised me, after the fact, of my biometrics appointment date, and I ended up doing my fingerprints as a walk-in.

I received noticed in August of my interview date in early Sept 08. Howerver, I had a overseas work assignment (for a US based company) from Aug to mid-dec 08, so, I wrote to the address listed, explained that I would be unavailable for the appointment, and why, and requesting it to be re-scheduled after Dec 08. I received signed Delivery confirmation from USPS that the letter was received.

My next letter from the USCIS was a notice stating that I had missed my interview appointment, and, unless I expleined within 30 days why this had occurred, my case would be administatrivly closed. I wasted some time calling the info line after this, witht he only response being service request that generated a reply that I need to explain in writing why I missed the appointment. So, I wrote (again), explaining that I was working away from home, attaching copies of the original letter I sent, and the signed delivery confirmation etc

I received a letter for a rescheduled appoint, 7th January, 09.

My appointment was for 7.15, the LA office does not start allowing people in till 7am, I lined up outside at 6.45am. I barely made it in the front door at about 7.12am, then hustled up to the interview room on the 6th floor. I put my interview notice in the tray, and sat and waited - there were about 8 other people in the small waiting room. I was called in around 7.40 am.

My interviewer led me into a small office, had me raise hand and swear to tell the truth etc. I then sat and she asked for my green card and DL. My file was sitting on her desk - about 3-4 inches of it. I applied based on 5 years of permanent residency. She pulled out a letter I had added to my application , explaining my employment. I work as a short term employee, sometimes I may only be employed for one day, sometimes two months, sometimes a week etc. I explained it was not possible to list all my employers for the past five years, but, did list ten payroll companies I was paid through. The interviewer had troubles understanding this, she kept wanting me to say I was self employed, but, I told her I received W-2's, and file tax returns. She asked if I had tax returns with me, I replied that I didn't, as I hadn't seen listed that they were required "well, they are" was her snappy reply. I was then told I would need to go downstairs to" the tax people and get cleared" - she didn't think it could be done that day, because they were backlogged with end of year concerns. In hindsight, I should have taken the precaution as taking tax transcripts.

We moved onto the N-400 application. For some reason my file only showed my middle initial, my application had my entire middle name listed. So, she filled out an application for a "change of name". So, they process my application inaccurately, and I have to petition a judge to change my name to correct it - whatever, I signed the necessary forms.

We moved though with me werbally confirming the information on the application.

Then she got to the "trips outside the US part" - I had 7 trips listed, and also handed her a list of the three trips I had taken since I lodged my application. Two of my trips were lengthy, 5 1/2 months & 4 months, I thought this may be questioned, but, other than checking the number of days were correct, and re-totaling them up, it was not problematic. It did seem to take quite some time for her to check the number of days etc. I had not included the day of leaving and day of return in the number of days for the trip (as per guidelines), but, she told me that you include the day you leave, but not the day you return. Once again - whatever, I was nowhere near borderline on number of days, so it seemed irrelevant.

She then asked me civic questions (from the old test - no option given) - ten out of ten correct:-), and did the very simple writing/reading test.

She then printed me me out a form showing details as they would appear on my citizenship certificate. I checked through the info - but, it was showing my previous country of citizenship as Austria, it should have been Australia. I took her some time to get back on the computer and update this "minor" detail. Apparently, it was processed incorrectly when my N-400 application was originally entered. Whoever processed my application really made some errors! I needed to re-sign my "change-of -name" petition, then, she reprinted the oath information, this time it was correct.

I noticed she had stamped my file Approved - I wondered about the tax issue - should I mention it? had she forgotten?.

She handed my back my drivers licence, and told me I was approved "I won't worry about that tax thing, it's fine" - or words to that effect. I then followed her tot he corridor where she copied my green card and approval notice. I asked abouth the possible time of the oath ceremony - she told me Jan & Feb are full, I would receive a letter for the March ceremony. She then handed me my card and letter , and pointed to the door I should leave through. And that, was it, I was in the interview room for 45-50 minutes.

My overall impression of my interviewer was that she was cold, and somewhat abrupt. Definitely not friendly LOL. I am glad to receive my approval,be at the end of my error strewn application, and look forward to never having to deal with the USCIS again (well, after the oath anyway).

If you have read this way, I hope my story was helpful, if not entertaining :-)

Just as an aside, I noticed when I left the building at approx 8.30am that there was no delay at security for those entering the building.

Wow that was quite interesting..Now I believe we have the same interviewer eh?? Glad we got our approval letter despite the fact that there were "minor/major" issues on our files...

Congratulations AusCal :dance::dance: We might end up having the same Oath Ceremony huh..Hope it comes soon..

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

Congratulation!

In my case, my interview appointment was scheduled for 11:15am, which was last spot from morning session.

I don't know whether adjudicator was hungry for lunch or somethng like that.

It took less than 5 min.

He even skipped some of trivial questions from N400 form. :whistle:

He might have lunch appointment with somebody, or was very hungry. :devil:

I brought full duffel bag of immigration documents and tax/pay-check/employment proof, but he didn't want to see any of that.

Actually what I sent for N400 was N400 form itself.

So I had to bring the copy of Green Card and all those stuffs. :innocent:

I missed one line from N400 instructions, which said to check M-476.

I guess dealing with USCIS for 14 years done for me, but still I have to deal with USCIS for my wife. :wacko:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Congratulations on your approval, your journey finally ends. Hopefully you get the oath letter soon.

N 400 Journey

Sent Package-12/13/2008 VSC

Biometrics - 01/07/09

Original Interview Date - 04/07/09 (File has not arrived)

Interview Date - 05/13/09

Oath Letter Received - 06/11/09

USC - 07/02/09

Passport/PC (Expedited) -07/02/09

Passport/PC Received - 07/11/09

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Congratulations. I'm glad everything turned out well after all these "little" roadblocks.

I had to laugh at the "fact" that it's only a minor difference to be from Australia instead of Austria. :D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Congratulations!

I did not know you needed tax / pay-check / employment proof for the N-400 interview.

In my case I just went for my interview, only took the copies of my application, the documents requested on the interview form. One of the forms N-426 Request for Certification of military or naval service.

The interview did not take more that 15 minutes, the interviewer took the N-426 said "you should had file this with the N-400 now we going to have to wait for Military Certification". So he gave me a walk-in pass for a new biometrics (it was almost expired) and said just wait for your Oath Ceremony date.

Military certification took 3 months, but at the end I got my USC.

AOS Timeline (from F-1)

12/30/08 Mailed AOS/I-130/EAD packet to Chicago

12/31/08 USPS reports package delivered at 11:08AM, signed by JB

01/07/09 Check for I-485 cashed

01/07/09 I-485, I-130, EAD touched

01/08/09 Checks for Biometrics and I-130 cashed

01/10/09 NOA1 for I-485, I-130 and EAD received (NOAs dated: 01/06/09)

01/14/09 Biometrics letter received. Notice dated 01/09/2009. Appointment date 01/23/2009 (DAY 15)

01/20/09 Biometrics completed. (Walk-in)

01/21/09 Touch (I-485/I-130/EAD)

03/20/09 Received Interview notification for May 6th (NOA2 dated: 03/13/09)

05/06/09 Interview **Approved**

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.