swapdude

timeframe between interview and oath

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Hey Guys,

Had a question.

I got a letter for interview on Jan 7.

Now, does the oath and the interview happen on the same day ?

The reason i am asking is, I was planning to go to India from Dec24 - Jan 24, but I would need to rebook my tickets. I am not sure of the date now.

My interview is in Fairfax, VA.

Please advice.

Regards,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey Guys,

Had a question.

The reason i am asking is, I was planning to go to India from Dec24 - Jan 24, but I would need to rebook my tickets. I am not sure of the date now.

Please advice.

Regards,

At the Fairfax VA office, 99.9%%%%% of the oaths happen the SAME DAY as the interview!! I had my interview over a month ago and if not for a small glitch (extra fiel they have to check on first) would have had the oath the same day. I asked my interviewer if that was the norm at this office and he stated yes! So be prepared to have the oath the same day! There is a parking garage their and it s a flat $5 to park, cash only I belive! As well it is extremely close to the Orange line metro! Like a 5 minute walk! As you walk out of the metro station, the building are straight ahead and a bit to the right!! Just walk through the daily parking and your there.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Hey Guys,

Had a question.

Please advice.

Regards,

At the Fairfax VA office, 99.9%%%%% of the oaths happen the SAME DAY as the interview!! I had my interview over a month ago and if not for a small glitch (extra fiel they have to check on first) would have had the oath the same day. I asked my interviewer if that was the norm at this office and he stated yes! So be prepared to have the oath the same day! There is a parking garage their and it s a flat $5 to park, cash only I belive! As well it is extremely close to the Orange line metro! Like a 5 minute walk! As you walk out of the metro station, the building are straight ahead and a bit to the right!! Just walk through the daily parking and your there.

That is my field office. I know people who had their ceremony the same day, others not. But no later than the same week. They have at least one ceremony a week. Good luck to you.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2008-10-27

NOA Date : 2008-10-31

Bio. Appt. : 2008-12-06

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Prague, Czech Republic

I-129F Sent : 2009-07-15

Check Cashed: 2009-07-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-07-20

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-01

NVC Received : 2009-10-06

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-10-15

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2009-12-15

Visa Received : 2009-12-16

US Entry :

Marriage :

AOS:

Event Date

CIS Office : Washington DC

Date Filed : 2010-07-26

NOA Date : 2010-08-06

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-09-09

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date :2011-01-07

Approval / Denial Date :2011-01-07

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received:

Comments :

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The have MANY ceremonies throughout the day starting first thing in the morning and into the afternoon, at least that is what my interviewer told me. They hired on a whole bunch of new staff he told me as well. They are really trying to push out the new citizens,lol I don't think you will really know until the interview. As they can't say YES for sure, as you have to pass the interview first. In my case I had a successful interview, but their is this "extra" file, and they have to get this file from storage--which is in Nebraska!! Like I stated above, the majority get the oath ceremony the same day.

Be prepared to wait! My appt was for 10 am. i arrived around 0940 and my name didn't get called til nearly 1130. One has to listen for ur name, as the person who is doing ur interview walks out from a door and he calls ur name! So if it isa difficult one to pronounce, you really have to listen, and some of them don't yell it out that loud!! As well he didnt give me an option on the old or new exam! he gave me the old one! I still passed!! Was an easy interview! Went into his office, he asked for my Passport and drivers license. Asked me some very basic questions. Then made me write out a very simple sentence, then the 10 questions. And that was it! he said i passed, BUT, that extra file is holding me up, oh well, no biggie! I was maybe in the room for 10 minutes and much of that was small talk. Like I said bring a book to read.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Just remember, even if you do the interview & oath on the same day, you will still not be able to travel internationally until you have applied/received a US passport.

Edited by AusCal

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Can i travel internationally between interview and oath ?

Yes, you can travel between interview & oath - in that period you are still considered a permanent resident, you are not yet a citizen. It's also important to know that you still need to met the residency, no. of days out if the country etc requirements for citizenship right up until you take the oath.

HTH

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

How do you find out if the interview and oath happen on the same day. My office will be Philadelphia (I assume as thats where I live).

Any insight would be great!

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.