oldskool

DCF in Bangkok rules!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just want to share my experience with DCF in Bangkok in case anyone on these boards is considering filing this way. I was really intimidated and paranoid about doing this all on my own without any legal assistance, especially considering my financial status and questions about being "domiciled" in America.

However, with the help of the internet and sites like visa journey, it really was quite easy in retrospect, but still nervewrecking.

anyways, I'll give those interested a quick breakdown of what happened:

after deciding that DCF was the best way to go, I decided to get married in Bangkok at one of the local offices.

1) First, I went to the US embassy in bangkok to get a form that verifies that I am single and got it notarized at the embassy for $30.

2) I took this form to get translated into Thai at a translation service for 300 baht. (i have since found out that you can get it translated by anyone, as long as they state that they are competent and sign it, and they cannot be related to the husband or wife)

3) I took this translated and original form to another office way out in the northern region of bangkok to get it legalized by the thai government. This can be done in a few hours or less (for 800 baht i think) or in two days and mailed to your address (for around 200 baht)

4) We took these forms and got married at a local ampur office. This process was simple, free and took about 30 minutes.

5) I filled out the I-130 form (using my address in Thailand) and submitted it to the Department of Homeland Security, which is on the top floor of an office building right across the street from the US Embassy in Bangkok (Therefore, this is technically not "DCF" but the process basically identical)

This was done on Mar 27.

6) On April 4, my wife recieved "packet 3" with a checklist of documents to collect (including I-864, police certificate, birth certificate, 2 photos, copy of passport, house registration, marriage certificate and DS-230)

Part I of the DS-230 and the checklist was filled out immediately and mailed to the US embassy in Bangkok, along with 2 passport photos and a copy of the passport. We also sent a brief note asking for a quick interview date so that we could travel back to america together by the end of may.

This was sent out on April 7.

7) Packet 4 was sent out around April 12 and included the appointment date of May 2, as well as the medical forms. The medical forms can be done at two hospitals (BNH hospital and Bumrungrad Hospital). The medical exam took around 3 hours including wait time for the results and cost 2,000 baht. Make sure that you have a record of your immunizations though, otherwise, you will have to get the required immunizations.

8) I completed my I-864 and got it notarized by an officer at the US Embassy in Bangkok. This service is actually free, so definitely make the trip to the embassy if you can, instead of paying a public notary. I also wrote a 1 page explanation to explain that my domicile was in the US (I don't know if they even read it, but I did it just in case it was an issue, since I have been in Thailand for nearly 3 years now)

9) Interview was on May 2. We arrived around 7:30 for the interview at 8:00. We turned in all the forms around 8:00 and paid for the visa ($380). The interview happened at 10:00 am and consisted of two questions: How did you meet? How many times have you met since then?

We were out of the embassy at 10:10.

10) Visa was approved and will be issued in the afternoon on May 3.

So, from the I-130 petition on March 27 to visa in hand on May 3, it took just 38 days.

Everything was quite smooth and I didn't have to pay a lawyer 1 baht.

Filed: Timeline

oldskool,

Excellent explanation of both the process for an American getting married in Thailand (items 1-4) and the 'DCF' process in Thailand (which, as you correctly observe, isn't true DCF but is effectively the same).

A couple points of clarification and questions for you.

- In items 1-3, if one has been married before there is a second affidavit that has to be filled out, notarized, translated, and legalized, affirming that the prior marriage(s) were terminated

- The legalization of the translated affidavit(s) in item 3 is done at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Chaeng Watthana Road.

- In item 6, did the consulate ask for your wife's tabian bahn for the visa application? Or was that only needed by the Royal Thai Police Department for her police clearance certificate?

- Item 8 conflicts with item 1 with regard to the fee for notarizations. The notarization service does involve a fee, $30 for the first notarization and $20 for each additional notarization. You got the I-864 notarized for free because it was for the visa application.

- If you don't mind sharing, what were the elements that contributed to your retaining US domicile while you were living in Thailand for 3 years? This could be very handy information for US expats in Thailand.

Thanks for the great report, and congratulations.

Yodrak

Just want to share my experience with DCF in Bangkok in case anyone on these boards is considering filing this way. I was really intimidated and paranoid about doing this all on my own without any legal assistance, especially considering my financial status and questions about being "domiciled" in America.

However, with the help of the internet and sites like visa journey, it really was quite easy in retrospect, but still nervewrecking.

anyways, I'll give those interested a quick breakdown of what happened:

after deciding that DCF was the best way to go, I decided to get married in Bangkok at one of the local offices.

1) First, I went to the US embassy in bangkok to get a form that verifies that I am single and got it notarized at the embassy for $30.

2) I took this form to get translated into Thai at a translation service for 300 baht. (i have since found out that you can get it translated by anyone, as long as they state that they are competent and sign it, and they cannot be related to the husband or wife)

3) I took this translated and original form to another office way out in the northern region of bangkok to get it legalized by the thai government. This can be done in a few hours or less (for 800 baht i think) or in two days and mailed to your address (for around 200 baht)

4) We took these forms and got married at a local ampur office. This process was simple, free and took about 30 minutes.

5) I filled out the I-130 form (using my address in Thailand) and submitted it to the Department of Homeland Security, which is on the top floor of an office building right across the street from the US Embassy in Bangkok (Therefore, this is technically not "DCF" but the process basically identical)

This was done on Mar 27.

6) On April 4, my wife recieved "packet 3" with a checklist of documents to collect (including I-864, police certificate, birth certificate, 2 photos, copy of passport, house registration, marriage certificate and DS-230)

Part I of the DS-230 and the checklist was filled out immediately and mailed to the US embassy in Bangkok, along with 2 passport photos and a copy of the passport. We also sent a brief note asking for a quick interview date so that we could travel back to america together by the end of may.

This was sent out on April 7.

7) Packet 4 was sent out around April 12 and included the appointment date of May 2, as well as the medical forms. The medical forms can be done at two hospitals (BNH hospital and Bumrungrad Hospital). The medical exam took around 3 hours including wait time for the results and cost 2,000 baht. Make sure that you have a record of your immunizations though, otherwise, you will have to get the required immunizations.

8) I completed my I-864 and got it notarized by an officer at the US Embassy in Bangkok. This service is actually free, so definitely make the trip to the embassy if you can, instead of paying a public notary. I also wrote a 1 page explanation to explain that my domicile was in the US (I don't know if they even read it, but I did it just in case it was an issue, since I have been in Thailand for nearly 3 years now)

9) Interview was on May 2. We arrived around 7:30 for the interview at 8:00. We turned in all the forms around 8:00 and paid for the visa ($380). The interview happened at 10:00 am and consisted of two questions: How did you meet? How many times have you met since then?

We were out of the embassy at 10:10.

10) Visa was approved and will be issued in the afternoon on May 3.

So, from the I-130 petition on March 27 to visa in hand on May 3, it took just 38 days.

Everything was quite smooth and I didn't have to pay a lawyer 1 baht.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Congratulations

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Excellent report, thank you! And, congratulations on your speedy case. I always thought that it would take much longer in Thailand, but your case was smokin'!

Happy travels :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Bahamas
Timeline

congrats! :thumbs:

Adjustment of Status

July 1 2006 - Sent EAD & AOS packet

Sept 19 2006 - EAD APPROVED

Sept 22 2006 - AOS APPROVED

Sept 23 2006 - EAD card arrived

Sept 29 2006 - GC arrived!!!

Removal of Conditions

Jul 9 2008 - Filed @ VSC

Feb 25 2009 - Transferred to CSC

June 20 2009 - Card production ordered

NATURALIZATION

Aug 24 2009 - Mailed N-400 priority mail

Aug 26 2009 - rec'd at TX Lockbox

Aug 27 2009 - NOA1 (rec'd 8/31)

Aug 28 2009 - check cashed

Sept 4 2009 - biometrics notice [rec'd Sept 9]

Sept 25 2009 - Biometrics

Oct 17 2009 - Email about file transfer for interview

Oct 21 2009 - Interview Letter Rec'd

Dec 8 2009 - Interview - PASSED!!!!!!

Dec 19 2009 - Oath Letter rec'd

Jan 14 2010 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!

Jan 15 2010 - Passport app.

Jan 21 2010 - Nat. cert. returned

Jan 22 2010 - Passport rec'd

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.