WheresTheVisa

Address change of Beneficiary - (Canada)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

I've seen threads like this but no resolution, (procedure steps, or commentary from people who have done this).

My Timeline - in VSC

NOA1 - March 9

NOA2 - May 10

IMBRA RFE received at VSC - July 10

Nothing after that except a different answer every time I call.

The beneficiary's address is in Toronto, so the NOA2 stated that it will be processed in Montreal consulate, right now my case is in purgatory of waiting for some idiot to read my RFE for information clearly stated in the original petition (No MB, no criminal history) and reapprove it. However the beneficiary could move to Alberta or Vancouver (with mother or friends and where she went to school, respectively). This would theoretically move her case to the Vancouver consulate and (my hope) speed up the last part of the process.

Has anyone did this? How would I go about it? Can I call USCIS before it is reapproved? wait till it's approved and call NVC or the Montreal consulate when it gets there?

I saw a couple of forms (AR-11) for doing this when ALREADY in US, but in Canada?

Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch

K-1 Visa

Consulate : Montreal/Vancouver

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-03-9

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-05-9

I-129F RFE(s) : 2006-07-?

RFE Received : 2006-07-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-08-25

NVC Left : 2006-09-01

Montreal Consulate received

and forwarded to Vancouver : 2006-09-13

Vancouver Received

Packet 3 Sent: 2006-09-19

Packet 3 received 2006-09-25ish

Packet 3 Forms faxed back: 2006-09-29ish

Date set for interview 2006-10-5

Interview: 2006-10-25

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Here's what I found on USCIS website:

USCIS has created an additional procedure and recommends additional notifications for those aliens who are also applicants for benefits. Applicants and Petitioners with pending cases should telephone customer service at 1-800-375-5283 to report their change of address and get the address on the pending application/petition changed. If you are not a U.S. Citizen you will also be required to complete a Form AR-11. If you are not a U.S. citizen and you have a case pending with USCIS you need to do both - call customer service and complete the Form AR-11. The AR-11 is used by non-U.S. citizens to meet the legal requirements of informing USCIS of any change of address. Presently, completing an AR-11 does not update your address on any pending case. Also, while calling customer service updates the address on your pending case, it does not meet the legal requirement of completing an AR-11. Please see Change of Address (found under Contacting Us) on your local office About Us page.

source: http://www.uscis.gov/text/howdoi/address.htm

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Thanks for looking but that doesn't really answer the question, because that applies to aliens ALREADY in the US for address in the US. I am referring to address in the beneficiary's country... which would affect a change in consulate for interview. My address in the US is the same.

quote -

Who Must Comply?

All aliens in the United States who are required to be registered under the law (INA § 262 and 261) must keep the USCIS informed of their changes of address. The only aliens exempt from this requirement are diplomats (visa status A), official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days (INA § 263).

K-1 Visa

Vancouver Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Thanks for looking but that doesn't really answer the question, because that applies to aliens ALREADY in the US for address in the US. I am referring to address in the beneficiary's country... which would affect a change in consulate for interview. My address in the US is the same.

quote -

Who Must Comply?

All aliens in the United States who are required to be registered under the law (INA § 262 and 261) must keep the USCIS informed of their changes of address. The only aliens exempt from this requirement are diplomats (visa status A), official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days (INA § 263).

Yeah, I saw that, but that was the only think I could find on the USCIS website about changing addresses. Why not call USCIS and ask them what you should do? It wouldn't hurt to try, right?

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

I had a similar situation in that I had to change my fiance's address (he's in Thailand) and when I called VSC about it I was told that we had to call CIS to report the change and also fill out form AR-11. Yes, the rep acknowledged, the form is worded as if the beneficiary is in the US already, but it still must be filled out - I just put our receipt # and "pending application - I129F" at the top.

Since your situation is a bit more involved, I would do these steps (as it seems like CIS won't answer any questions until you submit the proper paperwork) and then contact the embassy directly to see what they suggest if CIS won't help. I'm sure they encounter this issue quite a bit.

BYY

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

From my personal experience, when my fiancee moved, I was told that I had to contact the consulate handling our approved petition. From my timeline, you can see that our petition was approved on August 01. I called the National Visa Center this past Monday, where the approved petition was still sitting and waiting to be shipped to the Embassy in Moscow.

The person answering my call asked me a couple of questions like the date of birth of the benficiary and my phone number. He then proceeded to change the address for my beneficiary. I will also follow up on this with the Moscow Embassy once I get the letter that the petition has been sent to them.

I did not fill out any AR-11. The change of address does not affect the petition, just where the packet 3 is sent. The Department of State needs to know the beneficiary's new address, not the USCIS.

March 29, 2006: mailed the I-129f form after getting all the documents translated and prepared

April 07, 2006: NOA-1

June 30, 2006: IMBRA RFE received by me

July 07, 2006: IMBRA RFE received by CSC

Aug 01, 2006: NOA-2

Aug 15, 2006: receipt from NVC stating they have the approved petition

Aug 25, 2006: email from US Embassy in Moscow, interview scheduled for Oct 16 @ 8:00 am

Sep 29, 2006: packet 3 finally received at old address even though we notified the NVC and Moscow Embassy of the new address.

October 16, 2006: Interview She passed

October 26, 2006: Arrival Date in the United States

November 09, 2006: Married

January 01, 2007: Moved from Florida to Kansas City (job related, not by choice)

January 12, 2007: Mailed paperwork for AOS, EAD, travel

January 18, 2007: Chicago received petitions

February 06, 2007: Biometrics appointment

Timeline
I had a similar situation in that I had to change my fiance's address (he's in Thailand) and when I called VSC about it I was told that we had to call CIS to report the change and also fill out form AR-11. Yes, the rep acknowledged, the form is worded as if the beneficiary is in the US already, but it still must be filled out - I just put our receipt # and "pending application - I129F" at the top.

Since your situation is a bit more involved, I would do these steps (as it seems like CIS won't answer any questions until you submit the proper paperwork) and then contact the embassy directly to see what they suggest if CIS won't help. I'm sure they encounter this issue quite a bit.

BYY

Thank you, that sounds like the good old USCIS hairbrained scheme. (by CIS do you mean USCIS? or Customer information service of Vermont Service Center?) So it sounds like I should 1)fill out the form and send it, 2)call VSC to tell them, when I get reapproved, call NVC, and 3) call Montreal consulate if it goes there and tell them, or tell Vancouver consulate?

Now any thoughts n whether it's a bad idea to call VSC before it's approved and just call NVC because they presumably handle things better and don't decide approval anymore so That won't get held up more?

Thanks again!

K-1 Visa

Vancouver Received

Timeline

Danichek,

Thank you, too. It sounds from your experience like I should call NVC when it's approved (and the Consulates thereafter) I also think it wouldn't hurt to send the AR-11 because of what bkk-puu-ying said. Unfortunately I have been waiting since Jul 10th (RFE) to be reapproved, and since March 9th from NOA1, so I have no idea when that's forthcoming. Thanks all.

K-1 Visa

Vancouver Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.