dkrivosheyev

Police certificate

18 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how long it takes to obtain a police certificate in Russia? We are only 40 days from our NOA1 date, however, trying to be prepared for the next steps... Also, my fiance lived with me in the US for 9 month, does she need a police certificate from the US?

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
POLICE AND PRISON RECORDS

Available. Russian law (MVD Order no. 965, dated November 1, 2001) mandates that the Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) provide police certificates both to Russian citizens and to foreigners who have lived or are living in Russia. The law states that in Russia, MVD offices must provide the certificate within 30 days. Those residing outside of Russia, both Russian citizens and non-citizens, may either delegate a Power-of-Attorney to apply for the certificate on their behalf in Russia, or apply directly to the Russian Consulate. Police certificates should note all names that the person has used in Russia, and should note the MVD branches in all locations that were queried.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...er/R/Russia.htm

I would apply for them about 2-3 months before anticipated interview date, perhaps a few weeks after NOA2.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I would apply for them about 2-3 months before anticipated interview date, perhaps a few weeks after NOA2.

Excellent! :thumbs:

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Since police certificates are valid for up to one year... why wait?

YMMV

Since police certificates are valid for up to one year... why wait?

Because there's no guarantee you'll even get an interview date. You could pass NOA II and never get passed another step like NVC or the embassy may not assign your interview until VERY late in the year, etc.

Better to get the interview date first. That way you know you're guaranteed when you're going to have to go. It's not a high probability that it'll get past the year point, but it's not impossible that it won't get past it either.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Because there's no guarantee you'll even get an interview date. You could pass NOA II and never get passed another step like NVC or the embassy may not assign your interview until VERY late in the year, etc.

Better to get the interview date first. That way you know you're guaranteed when you're going to have to go. It's not a high probability that it'll get past the year point, but it's not impossible that it won't get past it either.

True, but your reasons are a bit of a stretch because statistically speaking, the likelihood of the OP having his interview scheduled after May 2008 is very small. If getting police certificate from Russia is not lengthy and problematic then sure, why not wait... but if they are then it may be better to get started now.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My girl went to the police station and was told she will recieve a letter in the mail in 30 days and then she can come pick it up 2 days after. I would get it sooner rather than later, especially if you need more than 1 police certificate. As soon as we were approved I told to start the process. I would suggest the same.

Met Dec. 4 2006

1st visit to Russia - Jan. 23-30.

Engaged Jan. 24

CSC recieved and pending - NOA1 March 1

Touched- March 9 - recieved NOA1 hard copy in mail.

2nd visit - March 12 -27

Touched - May 23 (pleeeeeeeeeeeease)

APPROVED MAY 22 (On 5/25 I did the RFE trick and the CSC said it was approved 5/22. The dufus at USCIS was completely positive they were only working on Nov. 2006 petitions)

May 30th- Petition leaves CSC for NVC.

3rd visit - May 31 - August 31 ( If all goes well she will come home with me!!!)

Left NVC June 11th (I called everyday since 5/30 and they never recieved it??? Then on 6/13 I called and it was not only recieved but already sent to the embassy 6/11?? 

INTERVIEW 8/22

July 3rd-Recieved Packet

8/22 Interview was a sucess!!!

8/31 We arrive at JFK. Problem free entry.

10/26 Married!

1/15/08 Sent I-485

2/26 NOA

3/21 Biometrics Appointment

3/29 Received EAD Card

30 days is pretty standard. It shouldn't take any longer than that.

Edited: The reason you don't want to "jump the gun" is there was a rumor circulating this time last year that the embassy doesn't like seeing police reports that are more than a few months old. If it's been too long, they may ask for a newer version. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but I'm sure it's possible they could request a newer one if they wanted. As stated above, there's no reason to delay if your interview is going to be in a few months. However, you don't want to have an interview in 9 months and get the police report now. It's, in theory, not wrong, but the possibility of a request for a new one is greater the earlier you get it.

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I applied for a Russian Police Certificate at a French consulate... I was told it will take 2-3 months before I can pick it up. It is about 1 month if I were to request it directly in Moscow, Russia. So I guess if you are not in Russia, best to hurry up - 2-3 months wait and then there may be mistake/lost papers etc. Better be ready than sorry :whistle:

Does anyone know what language the police cert must be in? Obviously English would be perfect, but if it's in French and to be submitted to US embassy in France, that's OK, right?

Rika

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Also, my fiance lived with me in the US for 9 month, does she need a police certificate from the US?

Thank you

No she does not need a US police certificate. They do those checks themselves :innocent:

Rika

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I applied for a Russian Police Certificate at a French consulate... I was told it will take 2-3 months before I can pick it up. It is about 1 month if I were to request it directly in Moscow, Russia. So I guess if you are not in Russia, best to hurry up - 2-3 months wait and then there may be mistake/lost papers etc. Better be ready than sorry :whistle:

Does anyone know what language the police cert must be in? Obviously English would be perfect, but if it's in French and to be submitted to US embassy in France, that's OK, right?

Rika

A Russian police certificate from France?? Seems risky to me to wait 2 to 3 months. All documents must be translated into english. If the language is other than Russian it must me notorized. Check out the Moscow US Embassy website it will tell you what you need.

Met Dec. 4 2006

1st visit to Russia - Jan. 23-30.

Engaged Jan. 24

CSC recieved and pending - NOA1 March 1

Touched- March 9 - recieved NOA1 hard copy in mail.

2nd visit - March 12 -27

Touched - May 23 (pleeeeeeeeeeeease)

APPROVED MAY 22 (On 5/25 I did the RFE trick and the CSC said it was approved 5/22. The dufus at USCIS was completely positive they were only working on Nov. 2006 petitions)

May 30th- Petition leaves CSC for NVC.

3rd visit - May 31 - August 31 ( If all goes well she will come home with me!!!)

Left NVC June 11th (I called everyday since 5/30 and they never recieved it??? Then on 6/13 I called and it was not only recieved but already sent to the embassy 6/11?? 

INTERVIEW 8/22

July 3rd-Recieved Packet

8/22 Interview was a sucess!!!

8/31 We arrive at JFK. Problem free entry.

10/26 Married!

1/15/08 Sent I-485

2/26 NOA

3/21 Biometrics Appointment

3/29 Received EAD Card

Timeline

Rika

I assume you made the request at the Russian Consulate in France. The police certificate will come to you in Russian and it will need to be translated.

YMMV

BTW, does the police report need translating for the embassy in Moscow?...

04/19/2006 - met for the first time

01/12/2007 - sent I-129f to Nebraska

01/22/2007 - NOA1

04/20/2007 - NOA2

07/20/2007- Interview in Moscow

09/19/2007- Married

01/25/2008- AOS package mailed

08/27/2008-Interview-approved

09/10/2008-GC received

08/21/2010-10yr green card received

love is where you find it, even if it is a half a world away

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
BTW, does the police report need translating for the embassy in Moscow?...
This has been asked numerous times. The poster below almost got it right.
All documents must be translated into english. If the language is other than Russian it must me notorized.
However, the police certificate does not have to be translated into English for two reasons:

1. Personal experience of myself and others.

2. See Embassy Instructions:

5. Original birth certificate, photocopy and translation into English.

6. Police certificates in all names as well as all dates of birth ever used. Police certificate must contain references to each place (subject to the jurisdiction of the Russian Federation) in which the applicant lives or has lived for more than six months since attaining the age of 16. This includes localities where applicants have lived during university studies. If the applicant was on military service, he/she should bring the certificate from the local draft board. If an applicant has lived abroad for more than one year, a police certificate must also be submitted from the country in which he/she lived. Police certificate validity is one year since the date of issuance.

7. Evidence of termination of prior marriage(s) (if applicable), original, photocopy and translation into English.

Notice how the birth certificate and divorce decrees need a translation, yet the police certificate has no such language. Simple logic would lead one to conclude it is not required.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.