ErikaB

Is this normal? - AOS interview

7 posts in this topic

I had my AOS interview yesterday in Portland, OR. The interview was fairly short and straightforward, though the lady doing the interview was extremely scatterbrained and had to ask several questions over and over because she kept mis-writing dates down and was just generally really disorganized.

She seemed a little perplexed about some of our answers, like the fact that we're not going to have another wedding for my parents who live in eastern Canada since my husband and I (and my family as well) don't care much about weddings (and my parents haven't gotten their passports yet so they didn't come to the one we already had). We had a very simple ceremony here in Oregon which was good enough for us. She also seemed a little miffed when we both said we were atheists and didn't want children (but at least we share the same values, in my opinion), and that we met online.

Anyway, we brought information about a shared bank account and other proof of shared address and such, but I was never put on the lease because our landlords are titchy (it costs money to get added, they do a background check, they don't like people being added to the lease even if they can't do much about it, etc...) and we might not even live here longterm. I haven't learned how to drive, so I wasn't put on his car title or insurance yet since that wouldn't make sense at the moment. We also have no health/life or any other kind of insurance aside from car insurance, so there was nothing to add me to in that respect. In general though, she seemed to have a pleasant demeanor and relatively few questions aside from what I mentioned. There were no issues with my vaccinations or about income because my husband makes six figures, and we're also pretty close in age (4 years).

But at the end, she came back to the fact that I wasn't on the lease, and then she ended by saying she was going to review our file some more before she made a decision, and she wasn't sure when she was going to. From most of the threads I've read here, I got the impression that most people (who were approved) got approved right at the interview and weren't told that it would be under review. Is this actually more common than it seems, or is it something to be concerned about?

When I asked when I would find out, all she said was that if it was approved, I might receive the card in the mail in two weeks. Is there no quicker way to find out whether or not it was actually approved or denied? I'm rather concerned about her "review" so I'd like to know for sure so I can quit stressing about it. If there is a denial, for some crazy reason, is it a straight out denial or is there just a second interview?

Thanks everyone.

2006-10-13 - I-129F petition mailed to NSC

2006-10-27 - NOA1 received by mail from CSC

2007-01-25 - NOA2 Approved

2007-03-01 - transfer to Vancouver granted

2007-04-05 - received packet 3

2007-04-20 - received packet 4

2007-05-16 - interview at consulate; visa received; entered USA at Peace Arch POE

2007-06-08 - wedding

2007-07-24 - AOS/EAD package sent

2007-08-15 - cheque cashed

2007-08-30 - NOA1

2007-09-10 - received RFE

2007-09-12 - biometrics

2007-09-24 - sent evidence

2007-09-28 - AOS finally shows up for case status checking online (no EAD info yet)

2007-10-04 - EAD card ordered

2007-12-04 - AOS interview

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My approval was postponed until after the two parts of my file were reconciled together (the adjudicator wasn't sure if it had made it to the office from TSC) and after the adjudicator reviewed it as a whole. I received my approval letter pretty quickly after that, and my actual green card 3-4 weeks after that. There is no quicker way of finding out whether or not you are approved other than waiting for a letter coming through snail mail -- you can't call the local district offices or email them. You just have to sit tight and get anxious. ;)

My friend was originally denied, pending showing more proof of shared domicile. She went to a second interview with her evidence and was approved. I am not sure if that is the normal route of things.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

I *think* and may not be certain on this, that there are certain levels of immigration officers. Some have authority to approve you on the spot, some are newer and may have to hand over the file with their notes from the interview to a superior for final review before approval. Maybe she is a newby and hence her lack of organization. Did she take your EAD or AP (if you had them)?

12140.gif

Nope, she didn't take my EAD (I don't have AP). She gave it back to me. It didn't sound like she was going to talk to others about it (she said that she specifically was going to review it at some point and then make a decision) - but then again, few would admit that they don't have authority if they don't need to admit that. But she certainly might be new, she was very much disorganized.

There is no quicker way of finding out whether or not you are approved other than waiting for a letter coming through snail mail -- you can't call the local district offices or email them. You just have to sit tight and get anxious.

That's really frustrating, but ah well. She definitely didn't say she was missing anything though, just that she wanted to review.

2006-10-13 - I-129F petition mailed to NSC

2006-10-27 - NOA1 received by mail from CSC

2007-01-25 - NOA2 Approved

2007-03-01 - transfer to Vancouver granted

2007-04-05 - received packet 3

2007-04-20 - received packet 4

2007-05-16 - interview at consulate; visa received; entered USA at Peace Arch POE

2007-06-08 - wedding

2007-07-24 - AOS/EAD package sent

2007-08-15 - cheque cashed

2007-08-30 - NOA1

2007-09-10 - received RFE

2007-09-12 - biometrics

2007-09-24 - sent evidence

2007-09-28 - AOS finally shows up for case status checking online (no EAD info yet)

2007-10-04 - EAD card ordered

2007-12-04 - AOS interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It could be that she was new to the job and had to have the files for everyone reviewed by her supervisor before approval. She sounds like she might be new.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Timeline

Our officer left the room and asked his supervisor about approving our case. He flat out told us he wasn't sure if he could approve us or not. (He also went into a 2 minute spiel on how bad the misinformation hotline is... so honesty is his thing! lol)

Thankfully his supervisor was in the next room so we were on our way in five minutes.

Don't stress over it. I'm sure they will send you your approval soon. Think positive!

Nothing I say is legal advice. I recommend you consult a qualified immigration attorney for any questions you may have.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We had only a small ceremony in our living room and will not have any children together. Made no difference.

Don't worry until they give you something to worry about.

My fingers are crossed for you!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.