Chops

Co-Sponsorship and joint tax returns

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My father and my step mother have both agree'd to be co-sponsors, but recently she has left the house on bad terms and I'm currently waiting on my NOA2. I'm waiting until after the new tax season to send in my request for tax information, my question is:

If they filed jointly on their past tax's then do I need both of them to sign the I-130? And both give W-2's + Tax return info? Or can we simply state somewhere that he is going to be the sole co-sponsor and then write down his half of what he made on the I-130? My SO is urging me to get her signature too, but this lady is a little flaky and I'd rather her not be a part of the process at all :help:

My father and my step mother have both agree'd to be co-sponsors, but recently she has left the house on bad terms and I'm currently waiting on my NOA2. I'm waiting until after the new tax season to send in my request for tax information, my question is:

If they filed jointly on their past tax's then do I need both of them to sign the I-130? And both give W-2's + Tax return info? Or can we simply state somewhere that he is going to be the sole co-sponsor and then write down his half of what he made on the I-130? My SO is urging me to get her signature too, but this lady is a little flaky and I'd rather her not be a part of the process at all :help:

Your father can be the sole co-sponsor but along with the tax transcripts you will need to have copies of his W-2s so that they can see how much of the income he is responsible for. For example on the tax transcripts is your fathers and stepmothers income combined, so the W-2 will distinguish how much of that is your fathers. I am pretty sure you need the I-864 and yourself (the sponsor) and your father (the cosponsor) will need to fill one out.

June 1, 2007: I-130 delivered at Embassy

June 1, 2007: Received packet 3

June 10,2007: Sent DS-230 part 1 by email

July 26, 2007: Applied for SVK police cert. at embassy in Warsaw

July 27, 2007: Applied/Received Polish police certificate.

August 7, 2007: Applied for CZK police certificate at embassy in Warsaw

September 5, 2007: Received SVK police certificate

September 5, 2007: Medical examination

September 13, 2007: Received CZK police certificate

September 14, 2007: Emailed form IV/F04 (checklist) to embassy saying we have all documents and are ready for interview.

September 28, 2007: Received email saying they couldn't open the attachment so I sent IV/F04/checklist by fax.

October 10, 2007: Received email confirming they have received fax

October 16, 2007: Received Packet 4

November 15, 2007: Interview, (had to have two police certs translated to English instead of Polish)

November 16, 2007: Two police cert. brought to embassy. Visa approved!!!!!

November 19, 2007: Visa in hand.

March 23, 2008: POE Chicago, IL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Your father can be the sole co-sponsor but along with the tax transcripts you will need to have copies of his W-2s so that they can see how much of the income he is responsible for. For example on the tax transcripts is your fathers and stepmothers income combined, so the W-2 will distinguish how much of that is your fathers. I am pretty sure you need the I-864 and yourself (the sponsor) and your father (the cosponsor) will need to fill one out.

Thanks for the helpful info, I beleive its an I-130 I will be filing though, I have a k-1 petition.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Thanks for the helpful info, I beleive its an I-130 I will be filing though, I have a k-1 petition.

For K-1 it is an I-134. The I-130 is an immigration petition for an immediate relative.

And the I-864 will have to be filed at AOS.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.