Melyssa

Weird (but nice) experience for a Canadian trying to get a SSN ;)

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok so we had a weird experience yesterday. Nice but kinda weird. We went to the social security place for the second time and the DMV for the 4th or 5th time. We went to the social security place first to see if we could either get my social security number or a denial letter because the DMV people told us that with a denial letter, they could somehow get me my social security number. But anyways.

We tried to get to the SSN place early because we knew there would be a lot of people waiting. I filled in the form, but I left the spot blank where I was supposed to check off either that I was a U.S. Citizen, a legal alien allowed to work, a legal alien NOT allowed to work, or other. We decided that we'd just tell them that I wasn't totally sure what to put because the correct answer seemed to be that I was a legal alien not allowed to work, but, we also knew that others had gotten SSN's on the same visa. The form also says that if you check off that you are a legal alien not allowed to work, you'll have to prove that you have a valid non-work reason for requesting a number.

So anyways, we basically thought that for sure I wouldn't be able to get one, and went anyways because the DMV place said they could get me one, somehow, with a denial letter. That was confusing but we figured, whatever, we'll try and see if it works, even if they give me a denial letter. (Although I didn't know that they would since we were going in person - and i also thought that just maybe I'd still be able to get a number - I wasn't going to say I was a legal alien allowed to work though because I don't think that is true - but we didn't know how to prove I had a valid non-work reason for requesting one either.)

Okay, so we waited and waited for maybe 45 minutes before we were finally called to speak with one of the ladies. My husband told her that we just got married and wanted to get me a social security number. I think he told her that I was from Canada, too. She said congratulations and smiled, and I gave her the form and she looked at it and right away said that "uh oh, she needs the employment authorization document." I think she even said that I couldn't get the number because we had to wait until I got the EAD. she also looked at the date on my I-94 and said "uh oh, it's almost up." (since it expires in January.) So we both were thinking "okay so I'm not going to get the number." I was trying to decide whether to tell her, "But we know of others who came on a K1 who got their social security number..." but something kept me (and my husband) silent about that.

But then she started typing my name into the computer and teasing me about my "first name" because it was "too long" (in my passport, apparently my first name and my middle name are written as my first name, lol.) So then I said she could just put the middle initial, but she wasn't sure if that would work because then the names might show up different. And she kept filling in the info and we chit-chatted a bit with her as well. When she found out I was from Canada she talked quite a bit about that and said she was off to Montreal in two weeks and she goes there every chance she gets. She said how Canada is much better and more beautiful than ''here'' and told us "You know what's good about Canada? when you have a baby you get 12 months off. Here you only get 3 months. And then only if you're lucky. Some only get 6 weeks. So remember that when you have children - move back to Canada. Because here your employers will want you to work!" I just said "Yeah, I heard about that." It was kinda funny... also when she found out that I had brothers she said to my husband "uh oh, she has brothers. You hear that? You have to treat her right!" LOL

Anyways, she searched for my name - in my maiden name and with my middle initial instead of my whole middle name - and said "The moment of truth. Now it's time to see if it matches." (The information that was entered into the system when I crossed with my K1) and when it did show up, she said "YES!!! It worked."

And then she told us that I'd get my number in about 10 days. Later she got me to sign something and date it; when she noticed me looking for the date she just told me what the date was. Then she told me I'd get my number in 5 days or less.

Soooooo, I'm going to get my social security number soon... but it's going to be in my maiden name because she said she had to put in the same name as I crossed with at the border, or whatever immigration has, because if not then it will "look suspicious" to immigration. She said we can go back and change it with them when I change my name with immigration (I guess when I get my EAD in my new name, because we did apply for all the forms in my new name.) I'm not sure if she was 100% correct about immigration being suspicious, because after all, we didn't even put a social security number on my forms - since I didn't have one yet - so they won't have any number to look for anyway. So I think I could have gotten it in my married name without a problem with immigration, but whatever. At least I'll have my number soon! I think my card will say that I can't work, but I figure that will be changed (along with my married name) once we go in again to change it with my EAD (and marriage certificate, probably.)

Since we had the letter, we went to the DMV to see if we could get me an I.D. card because we wanted one in my married name (basically, we weren't sure what to do to ''officially'' change my name - some people said something about doing that with social security and other people said we had to do it with the DMV.) Well anyways so we went and the girl there gave us a teasing sort of look and when we went to her desk, she said "You guys are here for the FIFTH time!" She said all we needed was the thing from social security (she'd seen all the other documents each other time we tried to go.) So we gave her the letter and she looked immediately for the number. She gave an almost mournful look and said "ohhh, NOOOO..." and told us we needed the social security number. She said that was odd because usually social security gives a piece of paper with the number along with the approval letter ( ?) and then she was really really really apologetic. And she also thanked us for our patience and confided that usually when they have to keep sending people home, they will be cursing them out about having to come so often. So that was pretty cool. we left without the DMV I.D. card, but we also left deciding that we might as well just wait for my EAD so we can get my social security card in my NEW name because we figured that if they need the social security number, they'll probably have to put the DMV in the same name as my social security number. So it will be funny if I get it in a few months, we're finally able to go back, and the girl recognizes us and said "Wow, you guys finally came back." LOL

And that's that. I also checked the USPS web-site yesterday and our AOS package was delivered to the Chicago address. Yay. Part of me thinks we'll get an RFE but I sure hope not. We are hoping that we will get my AP as soon as possible so we can go visit Canada. One of my friends told me she thought it was funny that before I moved I couldn't wait to live in the U.S. but now that I'm here I can't wait to go back to Canada. LOL, so I told her that was funny and I guess that was true, but not really because before it was just that I couldn't wait til my husband and I didn't have to leave each other anymore - not that I couldn't wait to live in the U.S. If it wasn't for his job we'd much rather live in Canada!!! :-D

I still have to write about my POE experience. Since I've written all of this out today, maybe I'll just do my post about the POE experience today too - oh, and our wedding!

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Just on another note. K-1 are considered a legal alien allowed to work and there is a document that shows it that you could have printed and brought with you in case they didn't agree with you. Means that K-1 are entitled to get a SSN, as long as your K-1 (I-94) isn't expired, and you have to apply at the lasted 15 days before it expires....SO if yours is good until Januray, I don't get why that lady told you uh-oh it expires soon...You had WAY enough time to apply.

Second, as for the name change, I heard various experiences, but as read on their own document, if a name change occured you just need to show them a proof ( marriage certificate) and that should be enough. I applied directly in my Married name and showed my marriage certificate and that's all they needed to relate to my K-1.

so

she said she had to put in the same name as I crossed with at the border, or whatever immigration has, because if not then it will "look suspicious" to immigration

to me that is big bull$hit right there!!

At least the good part is that you got your SSN, but that lady doesn't have any idea of what she is talking about.

And for the DMV< you guys are stalking it aren't you!!! :P If you wait till EAD, you will be able to get your Driver license changed from Canada if you already have one :) So may as well get that instead of the state ID if you can.

Congrats on the delivery of the AOS package :dance:

Edited by Mephys

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It wasn't Waterbury CT was it??

Cause this lady sounds like the gal I had!! she was totally crazy!! :) But helped me out with no problems!!! :)

Congrads!

she said she had to put in the same name as I crossed with at the border, or whatever immigration has, because if not then it will "look suspicious" to immigration

I agree Mephys.. i just gave them a copy of my marriage licence and they gave me a SSN with my married name on it.. so perhaps this wasn't the same lady..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

That is odd. In my plans I would like to try to follow the K1 flow chart on this site. Get the SSN in the maiden name, then the marriage license, and then with the marriage certificate get the name changed on the SSN and go to the DMV.

Good luck with the AOS!

Edited by jonandmary

Our Time line:

Met online in 1999

Met in Toronto May 2006

Engaged April 2007 Niagara Falls

K-1 Sent August 10th 2007 (CSC)

K-1 Received August 13th 2007

NOA1 September 26th 2007

NOA2 January 25th 2008

NVC Received February 1st 2008

NVC Sent to MTL February 5th 2008

Packet 3 Received February 19th 2008

Checklist Delivered to MTL February 29th 2008

Medical Exam March 6th 2008

Interview in MTL May 16th 2008 (Approved)

Received Visa May 21st 2008

Move from Canada September 1st 2008

POE @ Pearson Toronto - September 12th 2008

Wedding October 11th 2008

AOS Sent October 17th 2008 (REJECTED OCT 21st)

AOS RE-Sent October 27th 2008

NOA's Received November 6th 2008

RFE (No W2's/1099's) November 12th 2008

Biometrics Appointment November 24th 2008

Case sent to CSC December 3rd 2008

Bunch of Touches in January

Card Production Ordered February 27th 2008

Baby Adam born October 11th 2010 (2 year anniversary)

I-171 NOA Received December 17th 2010

Timeline
It wasn't Waterbury CT was it??

Cause this lady sounds like the gal I had!! she was totally crazy!! :) But helped me out with no problems!!! :)

Congrads!

I agree Mephys.. i just gave them a copy of my marriage licence and they gave me a SSN with my married name on it.. so perhaps this wasn't the same lady..

Haha, yeah - I don't think she was quite right about immigration being suspicious either if she gave me the number in my married name, but oh well! At least it won't cost us anything to get my name changed later, and at least I have the number now. :)

Edited by Melyssa

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

Timeline
That is odd. In my plans I would like to try to follow the K1 flow chart on this site. Get the SSN in the maiden name, then the marriage license, and then with the marriage certificate get the name changed on the SSN and go to the DMV.

Good luck with the AOS!

Thanks.

We don't quite like the instructions on the site because we wanted to get married as soon as possible; we'd been waiting long enough due to more than even just the crazy long visa process. So we got married less than a week after I was approved for my visa, and waiting for the social security number wouldn't have helped us out with that. ;)

Timeline
Just on another note. K-1 are considered a legal alien allowed to work and there is a document that shows it that you could have printed and brought with you in case they didn't agree with you. Means that K-1 are entitled to get a SSN, as long as your K-1 (I-94) isn't expired, and you have to apply at the lasted 15 days before it expires....SO if yours is good until Januray, I don't get why that lady told you uh-oh it expires soon...You had WAY enough time to apply.

Yeah I don't know why she said that my time was running out either. I don't quite get the thing about being a legal alien allowed to work because we're not allowed to work. I thought maybe technically we are allowed to work, but not officially but that doesn't make any sense to me because then I should be able to be working right now. But I'm not. So we weren't sure what to put and didn't want to put something down as true when it wasn't. we couldn't find anything anywhere that said clearly a K1 is considered a legal alien allowed to work; only that a K1 isn't because he/she has to wait for work authorization to be allowed to work. Where can we find that we are considered a legal alien allowed to work?

Second, as for the name change, I heard various experiences, but as read on their own document, if a name change occured you just need to show them a proof ( marriage certificate) and that should be enough. I applied directly in my Married name and showed my marriage certificate and that's all they needed to relate to my K-1.

We had that and were going to show her but I guess we didn't bother arguing with her because at least we were going to get my number :)

And for the DMV< you guys are stalking it aren't you!!! :P If you wait till EAD, you will be able to get your Driver license changed from Canada if you already have one :) So may as well get that instead of the state ID if you can.

Nope, no license. We just wanted the state I.D. so I could have I.D. in my married name, but realized there is no point yet if it's just going to be in my maiden name. :)

Yeah I don't know why she said that my time was running out either. I don't quite get the thing about being a legal alien allowed to work because we're not allowed to work. I thought maybe technically we are allowed to work, but not officially but that doesn't make any sense to me because then I should be able to be working right now. But I'm not. So we weren't sure what to put and didn't want to put something down as true when it wasn't. we couldn't find anything anywhere that said clearly a K1 is considered a legal alien allowed to work; only that a K1 isn't because he/she has to wait for work authorization to be allowed to work. Where can we find that we are considered a legal alien allowed to work?

Look here, section C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx...33;opendocument

The K-1 is listed as legal alien allowed to work, thing is you are technically allowed to work, but you need DHS authorization ( the said stamp) in order for an employer to hire you. So for SSN and EI, you ARE allowed to work. But you can't get a job.

That's the document I brought with me just in case, but the lady had it in front of her.

Edited by Mephys

Timeline

Look here, section C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx...33;opendocument

The K-1 is listed as legal alien allowed to work, thing is you are technically allowed to work, but you need DHS authorization ( the said stamp) in order for an employer to hire you. So for SSN and EI, you ARE allowed to work. But you can't get a job.

That's the document I brought with me just in case, but the lady had it in front of her.

Wow, that's cool. Hopefully the lady got that right and my card will not say not allowed to work and we won't have to get that changed. Although I still think it's weird if we're authorized to work but not allowed to work. LOL

I guess I'll have to wait until the card comes in the mail and maybe we can bring that document in again to get it changed before I get my EAD. Maybe we could try to get the right name on the thing too.

Edited by Melyssa

Your SSN card should say "with DHS authorization" on it, because you don't have your GC yet. No matter what that lady did, this should be correct.

In my opinion, it's not worthed to have your SSN card changed that many times.

You will have it in your maiden name with the notice on it, just wait until you get your green card and do the name change and the removal of the "with DHS authorization" at the same time.

Edited by Mephys

Timeline
Your SSN card should say "with DHS authorization" on it, because you don't have your GC yet. No matter what that lady did, this should be correct.

Okay - thanks! :)

Timeline
Hey you did really good considering the 2 x uh ohhh and the 1 x ohhh noooo :thumbs:

I kid you not Topo Gigia, this uh-oh thing seems to be spreading rapidly around me...... I SEE UH-OH PEOPLE!!!!

I miss the "eh?" at the end of phrases, and now I deal with the uh-oh..... :unsure:

Here's another UH OH, I guess my posts about my POE experience and wedding were boring, because they still have zero comments on them. :lol:;) and got buried under a bunch of posts :hehe:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.