garya505

Middle initial on Green Card, so SSA refused to use full middle name

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

After my wife received her green card, we went to the local SSA office to change her name to married name. Now, as many of you know, USCIS likes to put the middle initial on the top of the card by the photo, and puts the full middle name on the bottom. The person at the SSA office refused to put her full middle name on her SSN record, saying they have to take the name exactly as it appears on the USCIS document. So, her middle name is just one letter in SSA records now. I pointed out that the full middle name is on the bottom front of the card, but she still refused to use the full middle name. My wife's middle name is her maiden name (family name) so it's important to her.

Has anyone had this experience at their SSA office?

Does anyone have a link to the SSA policy on this?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
After my wife received her green card, we went to the local SSA office to change her name to married name. Now, as many of you know, USCIS likes to put the middle initial on the top of the card by the photo, and puts the full middle name on the bottom. The person at the SSA office refused to put her full middle name on her SSN record, saying they have to take the name exactly as it appears on the USCIS document. So, her middle name is just one letter in SSA records now. I pointed out that the full middle name is on the bottom front of the card, but she still refused to use the full middle name. My wife's middle name is her maiden name (family name) so it's important to her.

They can only put what's on the documents you provide, as far as I know, but my husband's green card has his middle initial and they told him that they don't do middle names anymore. Which is a lie, but whatever, it really wasn't worth the trouble to correct it. You rarely even use your SS card, and she can still use her middle name (my name at work doesn't match my SS card verbatim), so like we decided in his situation, I'd just be happy you have it for now and let it rest.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They can only put what's on the documents you provide, as far as I know, but my husband's green card has his middle initial and they told him that they don't do middle names anymore. Which is a lie, but whatever, it really wasn't worth the trouble to correct it. You rarely even use your SS card, and she can still use her middle name (my name at work doesn't match my SS card verbatim), so like we decided in his situation, I'd just be happy you have it for now and let it rest.

It's true that you rarely use your SS card for much of anything and when you do, the middle name/initial isn't important. However, there is a potential for problems when USCIS records and SSA records don't match (with all the immigration and national security problems we're having). The IRS uses middle initial only so I guess it wouldn't be a problem with them.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

That sounds crazy, in San Diego, they are starting to use full first, middle and last names. My original social securiity card used to have my first and last name only. When I married, they added my my full middle name to my social security card.

K-1 & I-601 Waiver Timeline 4/7/06 to 9/12/07

4/7/06: I-129 K-1 Application mailed

4/20/06: NOA Receipt

6/23/06: Req for Evidence

8/31/06: NOA

9/28/06: NOA- NVC rcvd I-129

10/12 & 11/9: Rcvd CDJ Ltr- processing Visa

12/6/06: CDJ Interview - Denied - I-601 Waiver Required

12/18/06: I-601 filed

8/6/07: Waiver Approval

8/22/07: Waiver Approval letter received

9/4/07: Open Appointment Letter Rcvd (postmarked 8/31/07 from Texas)

9/9/07: Arrive in CDJ for Open Appt

9/10/07: Open Appointment

9/12/07: RECEIVED K-1 VISA!

AOS - 10/8/07 to 11/21/07

9/14/07: Entered the United States

9/21/07: Happliy Married!

10/6/07: AOS Packet Mailed to Chicago Lockbox!

10/8/07: Return Receipt stamped received by USCIS

10/19/07: NOA Receipt for AOS & EAD received

10/24/07: Case Online at USCIS.gov

10/25/07: Touched

11/3/07: Biometrics Appointment

11/5/07: Touched

11/14/07: Appointment Letter received

11/16/07: EAD Production ordered.

11/21/07: AOS Interview - Approved - Hubby is Legal Permanent Resident (Conditional)

11/23/07: Registered Customer's new permanent resident status (Online Case Status)

11/25/07: Touched - Production of EAD ordered (Online Case Status)

11/26/07: On November 26, 2007, we ordered production of your new card (Green Card).

11/28/07: Received EAD Card!

11/30/07: Received Welcome to the U.S. Letter

12/1/07: Received GREEN CARD!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

It's true that you rarely use your SS card for much of anything and when you do, the middle name/initial isn't important. However, there is a potential for problems when USCIS records and SSA records don't match (with all the immigration and national security problems we're having). The IRS uses middle initial only so I guess it wouldn't be a problem with them.

IRS doesn't report discrepancies - last year or the year before, there were something like 16 million returns filed with a name that didn't match and they don't do anything about it. Social security numbers apparently aren't a big concern as far as security, considering banks can see if other people are using the same SSN and never tell you =/

I don't know the policy but middle initial only because that's what on the green card seems to make sense - if you want to question if you can always go ask for a supervisor and see if you can get the whole name on there. I know I wanted my full middle name on mine, but now that it's there (happened on accident when I changed my name, I didn't even ask them for it), I only use the middle initial anyway because it's easier.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

In the Philippines, after a marriage a Filipina takes her maiden family name as her middle name and her husband's family name as her new family name. Here in the US, it is not the case...as I found out later on.

My maiden family name is very important to us and I don't want to give it up....hehehhe :)

After we got married, my husband went to SSA first to apply for my SSN, before filing AOS. The SSA lady asked me if I really want to put the name I have written in my SSN application. I said yes and then she asked for my green card. I said no we have not filed AOS yet. Then she said well, I have to use your maiden name for she have to go to the immigration record, my records should be the same. I have to come back later to have it changed when I will have my green card.

Huh! I told her that it is very ridiculous to still be using my maiden name when in fact I am already married. And speaking of having the same records, my immigration records and the US marriage records are no longer the same the day I was married. I vehemently told her that I want to use my husband's family name as my new family name and my maiden family name as my middle name. Which in fact, will be the same with an official US database record, the US record of marriages. Well, she smiled and said okay, I will do that then.

So, my SS card shows my first name, my new middle name which is my maiden family name, and my new family name (my husband's).

When we went to DMV, they used the same name in my SS card.... no questions asked. :D

Seems like some SSA offices are just different from the other. Some clerks may or may not have an in-depth knowledge of their agency polices, rules and regulations....a conclusion I have made based on the different experiences vj members have posted.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It's weird, my GC and EAD has my middle initial only and doesn't have full middle name at all. But my SSN has my full Middle name on it. If you fill out the SSA form with her full Middle Name, then their record has her full middle name, its just appear to be initial on the card.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.