aem

Health Insurance for Parents in their 60s

4 posts in this topic

My in-laws live in South Africa and are in their early 60's, nearing retirement. The last of their children will be moving to the states (my sister in law) sometime next year. We would very much like to bring them over here to live near us.

Can anyone provide me with additional information about health insurance? This is our biggest concern at this point. I think that they would have enough saved up and coming in from their South African pensions to pay for a small house or condo here. We would be able to assist with some things, of course, but not all.

My concerns are (1) will they even qualify for health insurance when they would first come over (is there a waiting period) and that (2) the cost of the insurance would be exorbatant.

Any advice is much appreciated. I am certainly open to hearing any other suggestions not necessarily related to health insurance, as well, from anyone who has been in this situation before.

Thank you.

Edited by aem

Filed: Timeline

I have looked into this for my parents who I will be filling for once I have become a citizen... they will not have entitlement to medicare so you will have to find insurance for them.... it is very expensive for anyone over 65, here in MA it will cost them $370.00 each per month for basic coverage or for a more sutible plan it will be $482.00 per month each...

In my mind this is the bigest expence they will face because they could end up paying that for a very very long time..... if they were to live to be 85 years old and they went for the cheapest insurance and not taking into account any increase in the monthly costs, they would need to be able to pay $88,800.00 so not something you can just hope you can cover you need to know that you/they CAN cover it...

Kez

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
My concerns are (1) will they even qualify for health insurance when they would first come over (is there a waiting period) and that (2) the cost of the insurance would be exorbatant.

Very much a State issue, see if there are any State arrangements that they could link into, in my State there are none, but you may be luckier.

I would have thought you woud need to allow for $1,000 a month at least, assuming they are in good health, and it will only go up. The insurance premium is just the start, what's not covered is just as important.

As for the future, anybodys guess, but that goes for the rest of the population as well.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

My in-laws live in South Africa and are in their early 60's, nearing retirement. The last of their children will be moving to the states (my sister in law) sometime next year. We would very much like to bring them over here to live near us.

Can anyone provide me with additional information about health insurance? This is our biggest concern at this point. I think that they would have enough saved up and coming in from their South African pensions to pay for a small house or condo here. We would be able to assist with some things, of course, but not all.

Any advice is much appreciated. I am certainly open to hearing any other suggestions not necessarily related to health insurance, as well, from anyone who has been in this situation before.

Thank you.

Yes, it is hard to find a health insurance for them at this age. Try to find clinics who treat people at a cheap rate. Right now, Massachusetts is the only state which has a law for every MA citizen to have health insurance.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.