rawr

Regarding moving from Australia to the USA.

21 posts in this topic

eh so the ticket isn't even enough proof that i will be returning to australia? ..

oh geez, okay.. thank you so much for help, will be talking to my boyfriend about this now since his working right now for the black friday hehe... time difference :cry:

one more little question, is it often people get knocked back? ive got this whole picture in my head that ill have no chance :cry: dont think they'll let me through with just me teling them im there for one month, to visit my friend for a break from home before i come back and do my studies. *sigh..

thank you again.

Were you planning to stay with your boyfriend? You need to give them the address of the place you are staying for the first night. If that place were a hotel and you said you were holidaying with a friend then it is very unlikely that they would question this given that you have not spent a lot of time in the US.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Filed: Timeline
Were you planning to stay with your boyfriend? You need to give them the address of the place you are staying for the first night. If that place were a hotel and you said you were holidaying with a friend then it is very unlikely that they would question this given that you have not spent a lot of time in the US.

yes, the whole plan was (eh this was before we started looking into the visa's etc) because in march his parents are going to india for a wedding, so for that month i was going to stay with him, and during that month he wanted to marry me, and find our own apartment.

yes, the whole plan was (eh this was before we started looking into the visa's etc) because in march his parents are going to india for a wedding, so for that month i was going to stay with him, and during that month he wanted to marry me, and find our own apartment.

If you can get in, you can certainly get married, but you wont be able to stay. You would have to return home, and apply for a K-3 visa or CR-1/IR-1 visa.

Depending which visa you apply for it will take about 6-12 months to get and cost a couple thousand by the time you make it through the process.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You're a young, unattached female with little to prove you won't overstay the visa waiver, going to visit your boyfriend - I'd be prepared for extra questions, because frankly there are a few things that would raise a red flag in that. And yes, it would be this difficult - if not more so, Australia's got some *impossible* immigration controls! - if he were to come and visit you. Bring any and all paperwork that proves you're going back - your return ticket may not be enough. Sometimes it is. Sometimes you need more proof - best to have it! A letter from your job stating you're due back, a letter from the school you're attending and the proof that you're registered for courses, current bank statements, credit card bills, etc - these will all help prove you will be returning at the end of your visit.

You can get married while you're in the US on the visa waiver. What you can't do is stay - so you might want to put off finding that apartment unless your guy is willing to live in it by himself while you get the visa sorted. If you get married, you'll have to go back to Australia and your husband will then have to petition for a K-3 or a CR-1 visa for you to stay in the US.

The two of you sound very much like us when we started this whole journey ourselves - not a clue! It's possible to do the things you want, but it's going to take time, patience, and money. Just be prepared for what you're getting into!

Personally, I would say you are going to visit friends...that's what I've always done when crossing the border. You do have to give the address you are staying at, so give his address, but I wouldn't say anything about boyfriend just yet. Just say you are visiting friends.

I know all this information is overwhelming and surprising, Nick and I couldn't believe how complicated and involved this process was when we first began researching. Once you read over the information for awhile, clear your head for a few days, come back and begin reading again, it all starts to make sense and it's easier than you think. The waiting on the other hand, that is never easy.

You can't simply go over there and stay, even though you really really want to.

You haven't even met him yet. I suggest you go over and spend some time getting to know him in person, take lots of pictures, enjoy your time and make sure you don't overstay!

Once you return home, if you still feel like this is something you want to do, begin the process. Look over the guides here at VJ, get your petition ready and send it in. There are income requirements from your boyfriend in the states to show he can provide for you, if he can't, he must have a sponsor. You have to get a medical and a police check, there is a lot involved. Remember this process costs time and money, you are looking at a few thousand dollars from Petition to Green card(For you more because of the distance you have to fly once you move to the states, let alone all your stuff being shipped) and the waiting time is anywhere from 6 to 9 months, sometimes longer.

I wish you much luck on your journey!!!

~Laura :)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Make sure you get proofs of having met during your visit. It would be good to take lots of photo's with both of you and maybe friends and family also. It would have be good if you could meet his parents too and keep any bording cards, atm receipts etc. as proof also.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.