cschwa

My wife's children

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Hello,

My wife and I have decided to take her children to America. They are currently living with her parents in Cameroon. We are trying to figure out the fastest way of getting them here since their situation at home has changed and we no longer feel comfortable with them living in Cameroon. They are 7 and 9 years old. My wife has her green card but is not yet an American citizen. I am an American citizen. I read through the guides but found them a bit confusing. I'm not sure if I can petition for her children (I believe I am their stepfather through marriage). She could also petition but I'm not sure if this is best since she is not yet a citzen. Could someone please help explain our options? Also, the children have different fathers. One of their fathers has passed away and the other has never been in the child's life but is on the birth certificate. Not sure how we deal with this either. My wife's father, though, does know both families quite well so it would not be difficult to get permission if this is what we need to do.

Chris

I130

06/03/2005 married in Cameroon

09/08/2005 sent I130 package

09/16/2005 NOA1 issued

I129F

09/24/05 sent I129F package

09/28/2005 NOA1 issued

11/01/2005 NOA2 issued

11/15/2005 <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> received

11/18/2005 Sent to Embassy

01/27/2006 Interview

02/27/2006 Interview rescheduled, passed interview

03/02/2006 K3 given

I130

05/01/2010 Sent I130 package for my stepsons

05/06/2010 NOA 1

10/13/2010 NOA 2

Hello,

My wife and I have decided to take her children to America. They are currently living with her parents in Cameroon. We are trying to figure out the fastest way of getting them here since their situation at home has changed and we no longer feel comfortable with them living in Cameroon. They are 7 and 9 years old. My wife has her green card but is not yet an American citizen. I am an American citizen. I read through the guides but found them a bit confusing. I'm not sure if I can petition for her children (I believe I am their stepfather through marriage). She could also petition but I'm not sure if this is best since she is not yet a citzen. Could someone please help explain our options? Also, the children have different fathers. One of their fathers has passed away and the other has never been in the child's life but is on the birth certificate. Not sure how we deal with this either. My wife's father, though, does know both families quite well so it would not be difficult to get permission if this is what we need to do.

Chris

You can petition as being their stepfather by filing a I-130 for each one.

Normally takes about one year if you do the paperwork correctly.

James' Shortcuts will speed things up some also.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Hello,

Chris

If your wife as a LPR petitions them it takes more like 5+ years.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Correct, you would file an I-130 for both as their stepfather and is faster since you are the USC. You may need to obtain a death certificate for the father that is deceased and will probably need permission from the other father (or a court document granting permission if he has never been in the child's life) in order for the children to immigrate.

The I-130 will tell you what other documents are needed in order to process (i.e., birth certificates, marriage certificate) and once approved will need to have medicals, etc completed so their visas can be obtained since they are not in the US; once here then you will submit the I-485 and all supporting documents to adjust their status. Had they been in the US already you would have just submitted the I-130 and I-485 concurrently, along with medicals, etc.

Hope that helps,

PJ

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Hello,

Thank you all for the information. Do we need to submit a seperate I130 for both children? Again, thanks so much for the help. It cleared up many of the questions I was having after reading the guide.

Chris

I130

06/03/2005 married in Cameroon

09/08/2005 sent I130 package

09/16/2005 NOA1 issued

I129F

09/24/05 sent I129F package

09/28/2005 NOA1 issued

11/01/2005 NOA2 issued

11/15/2005 <!--WORD2URL-01--><!--END WORD2URL-01-->NVC<!--WORD2URL-02--><!--END WORD2URL-02--> received

11/18/2005 Sent to Embassy

01/27/2006 Interview

02/27/2006 Interview rescheduled, passed interview

03/02/2006 K3 given

I130

05/01/2010 Sent I130 package for my stepsons

05/06/2010 NOA 1

10/13/2010 NOA 2

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Yes, one I-130 for each child and each with its own supporting evidence/documents/fees.

Best of luck and happy holidays to you.

PJ

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello,

Chris

What is James shortcut??? can you tell where can we find it??? or what is the advantage of using it??? thanks

Miles

:star::star::star:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Charles,

I just wanted to add an addendum to your question. A friend of mine has a sister who had a child with a man from some remote village. He exercised some law which said that the father has the rights over the child. I don' know if it is only their village or if this is a national issue. Well, she had an opportunity to work for WHO and she didn't take the job as the father did not give permission for her to take the daughter from Cameroon. Needless to say, the child is still with the father and the mother now is not allowed to see her daughter. I hope you don't have to abide by the same law, but just an FYI.

Chispas

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.