TracyOz

K-2 Questions - anyone who has moved over with Children??

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi All

I am hoping that some folks have gone through the K-1 process with children involved for the K-2 and might be able to answer some questions for me..

Some background information here that might help.

My application was filed listing all 3 of my kiddos..

my eldest son is 18.

He will not actually be moving over with me and my youngest 2 when we leave (after the interview in Sydney) but will be following later in 2008 - as he will be attending (college) here in Australia and even though he will come over to the USA late 08, for several months - at this point he plans to come back to AUS for some of 2009 (again for schooling), and again in 2010...

I am getting all of the required forms/medicals & police/fingerprints done for him at the same time that I am doing all the rest of ours.. (BIG JOB to go through this process when there is more than just "me" involved LOL - if any of you think that you have a stack of $$ costs and paperwork as a single person... you should SEE what it all is about when it is a person & 3 kids LOL).. anyway..

When we go for the interview in Sydney - which we anticipate to be around about March/April of 2008 -

Should he go up there for the interview with us - even though he won't be going over to the USA till later in the year?

and the next questions..

When my darling fiance and I get married in the USA (which will be in probably May) depending on the interview date in Sydney.. and apply for the AOS/EAD/AP for myself and my other 2 kidlets ARE WE able to also apply for all of my eldest son's as well even if he is not actually yet in the USA????

I am hoping that either some of you have gone through this yourselves and can answer my questions, or if there are any legal-eagles on here who actually might know the answers... or should I just wait and ask them at the Sydney consulate when we go for the interview...

I realise that I still have months to go before the interview takes place - but we are in the midst of a thousand things here at the moment (LOL) packing up my house which just recently sold... getting ready for Xmas (and my fiance's visit YAY)... and then I am actually flying back over to the USA in February for several weeks to organise wedding plans etc... while WAITING WAITING WAITING for the Sydney interview date... so at this time I am just trying to make sure I have all documents, all i's dotted, t's crossed... and my folder of information just sitting there ready and complete for the interview stage, so I can fly back in, get my kiddos ready, pack our bags, head to Sydney for the interview and then fly on into the arms of my beloved... :blush:

have a GREAT day and thanks in advance for any help.

Tracy

26/9/2007 Steve posted I129F & check to CSC

27/9/2007 CSC received it at 9.00am - signed by D.Bohn

""at this point on my timeline it said adjucation could be around the 8th March 2008"" What the??

25/10/2007 NOA1 issued

26/10/2007 Check cashed

29/10/2007 NOA1-Hard Copy received ...

2/11/2007 Touched

4/11/2007 Touched

20/11/2007 Went to police station for fingerprinting and National police check

4/12/2007 Police called police & fingerprint check done and ready for my collection

(getting ahead of myself I know <grin> but want to get everything ready

and organised - so MUCH paperwork/costs when there is me AND kids involved)

13/1/2008 - The estimated date on my timeline for adjudication NOW SAYS 21st March... OUCHIE..

29/1/2008 - WOW the estimated date on my timeline NOW says 7th April.... COME ON FOLKS.. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR TIMELINES IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO... your updates help give number crunchers like myself something to gauge. 4th feb - all these approvals MUST be doing something, my timeline NOW says 2nd April...

5/2/08 - YAY YAY YAY.... NOA-2 approval via email from CRIS... WHOO HOOOOOOOOOOO.... the "estimated timeline said 31 March this morning just as an FYI for you all)

9/2/2008 Flying to Ohio to spend a bit of time with my darling man to arrange our wedding and also just to spend some time together :-)

31/5/2008 Our Wedding day (we think) <grin>

Hi All

I am hoping that some folks have gone through the K-1 process with children involved for the K-2 and might be able to answer some questions for me..

Some background information here that might help.

My application was filed listing all 3 of my kiddos..

my eldest son is 18.

He will not actually be moving over with me and my youngest 2 when we leave (after the interview in Sydney) but will be following later in 2008 - as he will be attending (college) here in Australia and even though he will come over to the USA late 08, for several months - at this point he plans to come back to AUS for some of 2009 (again for schooling), and again in 2010...

I am getting all of the required forms/medicals & police/fingerprints done for him at the same time that I am doing all the rest of ours.. (BIG JOB to go through this process when there is more than just "me" involved LOL - if any of you think that you have a stack of $$ costs and paperwork as a single person... you should SEE what it all is about when it is a person & 3 kids LOL).. anyway..

When we go for the interview in Sydney - which we anticipate to be around about March/April of 2008 -

Should he go up there for the interview with us - even though he won't be going over to the USA till later in the year?

and the next questions..

When my darling fiance and I get married in the USA (which will be in probably May) depending on the interview date in Sydney.. and apply for the AOS/EAD/AP for myself and my other 2 kidlets ARE WE able to also apply for all of my eldest son's as well even if he is not actually yet in the USA????

I am hoping that either some of you have gone through this yourselves and can answer my questions, or if there are any legal-eagles on here who actually might know the answers... or should I just wait and ask them at the Sydney consulate when we go for the interview...

I realise that I still have months to go before the interview takes place - but we are in the midst of a thousand things here at the moment (LOL) packing up my house which just recently sold... getting ready for Xmas (and my fiance's visit YAY)... and then I am actually flying back over to the USA in February for several weeks to organise wedding plans etc... while WAITING WAITING WAITING for the Sydney interview date... so at this time I am just trying to make sure I have all documents, all i's dotted, t's crossed... and my folder of information just sitting there ready and complete for the interview stage, so I can fly back in, get my kiddos ready, pack our bags, head to Sydney for the interview and then fly on into the arms of my beloved... :blush:

have a GREAT day and thanks in advance for any help.

Tracy

Have them all have their medicals and go to the interview. Put their names and checkd "to follow within a year" in your DS 156K.

It will be a LOT easier in the long run.

You have to work out the logistics yourself.

Can'y apply for AOS for kids unless thay are in the US either. They "may have to attend the interview if you have one.

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My K-2 daughter followed me to the U.S. a year after I arrived. She wanted to finish high school in Canada with her friends. I did not take her with me to my K-1 interview. I told them at my K-1 interview that she was not accompanying me and would follow later when she finished school.

You must obtain the K-2 visa within one year of your K-1 visa. Then, after obtaining the K-2 visa, your child has six months to use the visa (just like for the K-1 visa).

When it was time for me to start the K-2 process, I emailed the Vancouver, Canada consulate and asked them what I needed to do. They told me to fax in Form DS-230, Part I. After I did that, I started collecting my daughter's documents, such as her long form birth certificate, her police certificate and had her medical exam done. I then requested an interview date, and my daughter and I went to the Vancouver consulate. She was only asked one question at the interview..... why had she not accompanied me to the U.S. at the same time. She told them she wanted to finish high school with her friends. And that was it.

As far as your son being able to leave the U.S. and return to Australia to go to school, you should ask at his interview what you need to do in order for that to be possible. You will need to apply for a Re-entry Permit at the very least, but I'm not sure how that will affect his Permanent Residency.

I was actually curious about the same thing because my daughter was possibly going to return to Canada to finish college at one point, but she has now decided to stay in the U.S. to complete college and dental school (at least for the time being).

Good luck with your journey. If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. You can PM me if you want. But, your best bet is to check with the consulate you will be doing your K-1 interview with.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks guys... I have been doing further research on this since I posted...

Was looking at the I-485 AOS forms and the instructions for that..

and found this interesting on page one of the instructions...

Who may file this form I-485

blah blah...

B. If the spouse or CHILD is residing abroad, the person adjusting status in the US should file the FORM I-824, application for action on approved application or petition, CONCURRENTLY with the principal's adjustment of status application to allow the derivatives to immigrate to the US without delay, if the principal's adjustment of status is approved.

I thought that was really quite interesting, so will definitely bring it up when I go to the Consulate Interview and ask them at the time..

Have a GREAT day

Tracy

26/9/2007 Steve posted I129F & check to CSC

27/9/2007 CSC received it at 9.00am - signed by D.Bohn

""at this point on my timeline it said adjucation could be around the 8th March 2008"" What the??

25/10/2007 NOA1 issued

26/10/2007 Check cashed

29/10/2007 NOA1-Hard Copy received ...

2/11/2007 Touched

4/11/2007 Touched

20/11/2007 Went to police station for fingerprinting and National police check

4/12/2007 Police called police & fingerprint check done and ready for my collection

(getting ahead of myself I know <grin> but want to get everything ready

and organised - so MUCH paperwork/costs when there is me AND kids involved)

13/1/2008 - The estimated date on my timeline for adjudication NOW SAYS 21st March... OUCHIE..

29/1/2008 - WOW the estimated date on my timeline NOW says 7th April.... COME ON FOLKS.. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR TIMELINES IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO... your updates help give number crunchers like myself something to gauge. 4th feb - all these approvals MUST be doing something, my timeline NOW says 2nd April...

5/2/08 - YAY YAY YAY.... NOA-2 approval via email from CRIS... WHOO HOOOOOOOOOOO.... the "estimated timeline said 31 March this morning just as an FYI for you all)

9/2/2008 Flying to Ohio to spend a bit of time with my darling man to arrange our wedding and also just to spend some time together :-)

31/5/2008 Our Wedding day (we think) <grin>

Thanks guys... I have been doing further research on this since I posted...

Was looking at the I-485 AOS forms and the instructions for that..

and found this interesting on page one of the instructions...

Who may file this form I-485

blah blah...

B. If the spouse or CHILD is residing abroad, the person adjusting status in the US should file the FORM I-824, application for action on approved application or petition, CONCURRENTLY with the principal's adjustment of status application to allow the derivatives to immigrate to the US without delay, if the principal's adjustment of status is approved.

I thought that was really quite interesting, so will definitely bring it up when I go to the Consulate Interview and ask them at the time..

Have a GREAT day

Tracy

Sounds good but I-824s normally take about 6 months.

MUCH easier to take them to the interview and get approval and take it from there!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.