newenglander

Under K-1 Visa, travel question

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm in the US, my fiance is in the UK. We are getting ready to file the K-1 so that we can get married here and live here. Question is: once we have filed the forms here in the US, is he still allowed to come over and visit me? Does he have to wait alone in the UK until he gets the letter from the British Embassy? We want to be here in the US together and Christmas and for 90 days following that.

Met - online April 2006

Met - in Person August 2006

Got engaged - July 2007

I129 Filed - February 14, 2008

NOA1 received - February 21, 2008

NOA2 received - March 31, 2008

Rec. at NVA - April 7, 2008

Packet 3 rec. - May 9, 2008

Medical in London - Aug 5, 2008

Interview - Dec. 9, 2008-APPROVED Pending more info.

APPROVED - Dec. 22, 2008

Arrival in USA - Jan. 22, 2009

Marriage - April 11, 2009

Filed for AOS - June 29, 2009

Received Biometrics appt - July 12, 2009

(Biometrics in Boston - August 5, 2009)

Your fiance can visit, however, he will face greater scrutiny at the PoE and could be denied entry if they feel that he intends to stay. He may be asked to show ties to the UK.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline
Your fiance can visit, however, he will face greater scrutiny at the PoE and could be denied entry if they feel that he intends to stay. He may be asked to show ties to the UK.

THANK YOU!

Met - online April 2006

Got engaged - July 2007

APPROVED - Dec. 22, 2008

You bet. Have fun!

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Check out the following thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67796

Lots of members have shared their experiences of visiting whilst a K1 is in process. Its very informative.

I'm in the US, my fiance is in the UK. We are getting ready to file the K-1 so that we can get married here and live here. Question is: once we have filed the forms here in the US, is he still allowed to come over and visit me? Does he have to wait alone in the UK until he gets the letter from the British Embassy? We want to be here in the US together and Christmas and for 90 days following that.

Coming from he UK shouldn't be a problem. Just bring ties from home just incase and be honest. You should be fine.

Timeline

Coming from he UK shouldn't be a problem. Just bring ties from home just incase and be honest. You should be fine.

Met - online April 2006

Got engaged - July 2007

APPROVED - Dec. 22, 2008

Timeline

Thanks for the answers. I have one more question -- We're right at the beginning of the K-1--is there a chance that the embassy might want to contact him before he goes back? Do we tell them that he can be contacted HERE? or do they send correspondence to his home address? If it goes to his home address, no one's there -- how do we handle that?

Met - online April 2006

Got engaged - July 2007

APPROVED - Dec. 22, 2008

Thanks for the answers. I have one more question -- We're right at the beginning of the K-1--is there a chance that the embassy might want to contact him before he goes back? Do we tell them that he can be contacted HERE? or do they send correspondence to his home address? If it goes to his home address, no one's there -- how do we handle that?

Since you don't have your timeline filled in, I don't know how far into the process you are (please take the time to do this. it helps others on the site quite a but), but I'm guessing it will still be several months before the embassy will try to contact the overseas fiancé. I filed in June and my fiancée probably won't get a thing from the embassy until January.

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

The I-129f is the US citizen's petition for a fiancé visa - they (the USCIS) won't have any reason to contact him before the petition has been approved (3-4 months) and the petition has been forwarded to the consulate/embassy in his country so no, from the sounds of it, they won't need to contact him for several months. :thumbs:

Edited by Karin und Otto

Make sure he has a return ticket as a one way ticket would probably raise red flags. It would also be a good idea to bring proofs of ties to the UK such as tenancy agreement, letter from employer etc. just in case.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.