md&sok

what exactly do the uscis timelines mean?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hiya everyone, this is my first post on here and just have a couple of questions that you may be able to help me with...ok, here goes.....

we applied to Vermont for a k1 for me in mid Oct this year, cheque was cashed and notice was sent by the end of Oct.

I have seen the 6 month wait posted on the uscis own website.....question is, is the 6 months they estimate the total time until the visa is approved or is this the time it takes to process and send on to the embassy here (Ireland), and if that is the case how much longer is it likely to take? I have been reading a lot of posts and i know its impossible to say as every case is different but me - like most here are just looking for good news as we wait.

We foolishly didnt think it would take this long to process and had a bit of a shock when our lawyer told us how long it would take and as we are expecting a baby in April every day counts.

Upon meeting our lawyer the very first thing he told us, the very first was....... "under no circumstances must I travel to the U.S. until the visa was granted" .... then i came across this site and have read thru some of the threads and it seems that some people DO TRAVEL and with no real consequence.

Thing is I do want to travel over for xmas and just wanted to put out some feelers as to what can happen to interfere with the application if i do travel.

Ireland does come under the VWP but I think I would rather make an appt. with the embassy here and apply for an holiday visa with full disclosure as to the application we have made. I own a business here that I can be away from, no police record or anything like that and am reasonably "well off" with ties to home here in the way of property I own. Is it worth the risk to travel or is there really any risk at all?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any help you guys might have.

OOOOH and great site, wish I came across it months ago.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Welcome and good luck with this process..not sure about the travel as my SO cannot do this from his country...however others may have direct experience...as far as the timelines....the USCIS has 6 months to process the K1 and send the NOA2....it may not take as long...however currently it has been taking about 5 months or so...I have been waiting 5 months and filed on June 15 at VSC and just received an RFE - - others that filed around my time have been approved........good luck!!

“Hold on to the center and make up your mind to rejoice in this paradise called life.” ~ Lao-tzu

4374690_bodyshot_175x233_1205371236499.gif4572850_bodyshot_175x233.gif

I dont know your case, so maybe your lawyer has a reason to recommend no travel. However, my fiance came from the UK during the process and walked right through immigration. He had no convictions etc. and brought plenty of evidence of his return. He came over on VWP. I'm pretty sure that if you were denied entrance to the US for whatever reason, that would not have an effect on your visa application. Good luck with whatever you decide

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I've visited too with no problems. We filed the I-129F on 3rd July and I visited at the end of September. I took lots of ties to the UK but wasn't asked for anything. The POE officer just wanted to know my reason for visiting (I said vacation) and how long I was staying for.

I do believe that if you are from a country that can use the VWP it is very difficult to get a B2 visa from the Embassy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Gillian

I would just use the Visa Waiver program but bring proof of ties with you such as letter from employer, tenancy agreement, mortgage documents and such. It has taken us around 7 months from filing to approval but we had a smooth process without any RFE's and we applied before the July rush of petitions.

17th March 2010 - Started the removal of conditions process

22nd March 2010 - Application received by CSC

30th April 2010 - Biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.