sarakosova

Filing new W4 as a married woman

9 posts in this topic

I just got married at the end of January and believe I am supposed to file a new W4 with work. Correct? As my husband currently can not work, I was going to claim 2 exemptions. However, hopefully in a few months, he will be working. Will I need to fill out another W4 once he starts working to give to my employer? I just don't want to get in trouble with the IRS!

Also, can someone explain to me in laymans terms what the "marriage tax" refers to? I understand it isn't really a tax, but just a higher tax rate you pay once married. Doesn't that seem counteractive, almost like punishing people for getting married?

Thanks for any help or advice! Best, Sara

Sara and Muhamed's timeline since he arrived Oct. 26, 2005 on K-1

Jan 30 2006-Send AOS off

April 15-EAD arrives

September 20-Interview---told we were approved

Dec 2006-Called USCIS to find out where green card was

Jan 9-Received request for I-693 vaccination supplement

Filed: Timeline
I just got married at the end of January and believe I am supposed to file a new W4 with work. Correct? As my husband currently can not work, I was going to claim 2 exemptions. However, hopefully in a few months, he will be working. Will I need to fill out another W4 once he starts working to give to my employer? I just don't want to get in trouble with the IRS!

Also, can someone explain to me in laymans terms what the "marriage tax" refers to? I understand it isn't really a tax, but just a higher tax rate you pay once married. Doesn't that seem counteractive, almost like punishing people for getting married?

Thanks for any help or advice! Best, Sara

Form W-4 is used so that the employer can withhold the appropriate federal income tax from your paycheck. In the event that not enough federal tax is withheld, at tax filing time you and your spouse might have to pay tax with your return. Many people follow the worksheet on the W-4 to figure out the correct number of exemptions to be sure, but there are also many that purposefully manipulate those declarations to either have more tax withheld or less tax withheld, per their own needs. Since IRS does not pay interest, some feel it makes little economic sense to pay more than necessary throughout the year. I'm one!

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Since IRS does not pay interest, some feel it makes little economic sense to pay more than necessary throughout the year. I'm one!

IIRC, the IRS does levy fines if it believes a taxpayer is purposely withholding too little tax.

I found this on Yahoo Taxes

Underwithholding costs: If you haven't paid your taxes or paid too little during the year, the IRS will charge interest on the money it decides you should have sent in earlier. The interest is compounded daily and begins on the day the taxes were due and continues until the agency gets the money. The interest rate is variable, based on the federal short-term rate plus 3 percent, and is recalculated every three months.

In addition to the interest charged on unpaid taxes, the IRS also can hit you with a penalty if it decides you were really bad. There is a late payment charge of 0.5 percent of the tax owned for each month -- or any part of it -- that your tax is unpaid after its due date. This penalty can increase up to 25 percent and can increase in 1 percent increments if you don't pay after getting several notices from the IRS.

There is a $500 civil penalty for underpayment of withholding if you claim W-4 allowances you knew you weren't entitled to and those allowances reduced the tax taken out of your pay.

And you could face criminal charges if you enter false W-4 information. This charge also applies if you fail to change your W-4 when necessary to appropriately increase your withholding. If convicted, you could be fined as much as $1,000, be jailed for up to one year, or both.

These penalties apply to intentional falsification of a W-4 in an attempt to reduce or eliminate withholding taxes. If you make a simple error -- an honest mistake – you won't face prosecution. For example, a person who has tried to figure the number of withholding allowances correctly, but claims seven when the proper number is six, will not be charged.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/basics/withhold/under.html

Edited by Agent Smith

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

Be very careful when switching from single to married on the W4 when deciding number of exemptions. When I was single I was getting back $3-4k per year which actually acted as a "forced" savings plan for me and worked out good. Then I got married and changed the W4 to married and kept 1 exemption, which is fine, but what got us this year was that my wife had 2 part-time jobs and a small business on the side and she was paying hardly any federal taxes by claiming 1 exemption on the W4 for both jobs. Per the insturctions which I didn't read closely enough, she should have been claiming zero on one of them to pay more taxes during the year.

This year we are only getting back like $300 which isn't much of a savings plan and a big pain in the you know what when you were expecting like $3,000!!:)

We live and learn...

Dave

Thanks to all for the guidance and support and speedy processing to all!

Our Visa Journey Timeline

Marina's parents Nicolai & Galina I-130

01/20/2009 I-130 Petitions package mailed to Chicago Lockbox (priority mail)
01/31/2009 NOA1's rec'd for both petitions
03/16/2009 Approval notices dated 03/10/09 rec'd in the mail for both petitions (no on-line update)
03/30/2009 NVC DS-3032 packets received by petitioner
03/31/2009 Paid $70 AOS (affadavit of support) fee on-line (one fee for both petitions)
04/10/2009 Marina's parent's e-mailed DS-3032 to NVC for both petitions
04/15/2009 AOS documents for both petitions mailed USPS Priority to NVC
04/21/2009 Rec'd e-mails from NVC for approval for Marina to be designated agent for both
04/25/2009 Paid $400 IV (immigrant visa) fee on-line for each petition ($800 total for both parents)
06/04/2009 DS-230 & supporting documents for both petitions mailed USPS Priority to NVC
06/22/2009 Both cases completed at NVC (per automated phone line message on 06/30/09)
07/10/2009 Interview notification e-mail received; both interviews scheduled for 08/11/09
08/11/2009 Interview(s) completed for both parents in Bucharest; visas in hand!
12/21/2009 Nicolai & Galina arrived in the United States as scheduled! (Chicago O'Hare)

Marina's parents Nicolai & Galina N-400

10/21/2014 N-400 applications mailed to Phoenix Lockbox (priority mail)

11/03/2014 NOA1's received for both

11/07/2014 Biometrics letters received for both

11/17/2014 Biometrics completed for both

11/22/2014 Received "yellow letter" for both

01/06/2015 Received "in-line" e-mail for both

01/12/2015 Received interview letter for both (scheduled for 2/10/15)

02/10/2015 Interviews passed for both; waiting for oath ceremony date(s)

03/03/2015 Oath Ceremony in Chicago; two new US Citizens!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

There's a better way to get forced savings that having the government do it for you. Just get an ING Orange Account. There they can take out so much per paycheck and you'll actually get some interest on it...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Since IRS does not pay interest, some feel it makes little economic sense to pay more than necessary throughout the year. I'm one!

IIRC, the IRS does levy fines if it believes a taxpayer is purposely withholding too little tax.

I found this on Yahoo Taxes

Underwithholding costs: If you haven't paid your taxes or paid too little during the year, the IRS will charge interest on the money it decides you should have sent in earlier. The interest is compounded daily and begins on the day the taxes were due and continues until the agency gets the money. The interest rate is variable, based on the federal short-term rate plus 3 percent, and is recalculated every three months.

In addition to the interest charged on unpaid taxes, the IRS also can hit you with a penalty if it decides you were really bad. There is a late payment charge of 0.5 percent of the tax owned for each month -- or any part of it -- that your tax is unpaid after its due date. This penalty can increase up to 25 percent and can increase in 1 percent increments if you don't pay after getting several notices from the IRS.

There is a $500 civil penalty for underpayment of withholding if you claim W-4 allowances you knew you weren't entitled to and those allowances reduced the tax taken out of your pay.

And you could face criminal charges if you enter false W-4 information. This charge also applies if you fail to change your W-4 when necessary to appropriately increase your withholding. If convicted, you could be fined as much as $1,000, be jailed for up to one year, or both.

These penalties apply to intentional falsification of a W-4 in an attempt to reduce or eliminate withholding taxes. If you make a simple error -- an honest mistake – you won't face prosecution. For example, a person who has tried to figure the number of withholding allowances correctly, but claims seven when the proper number is six, will not be charged.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/basics/withhold/under.html

Agent Smith are you an IRS agent? :lol:

Yes, of course IRS will penalise a taxpayer if he/she is not paying adequately. What I was suggesting is why pay in so much that at the end of the year you receive a sizeable refund? IRS will not invest that money for you and return a dividend. It's better to carefully check to see what your estimated tax burden will be and pay throughout the year accordingly. For example, say one is earning $55,000 and let's say that the tax table suggests that the Federal WT should be $15,000 per year (I haven't looked at that rate, BTW) and employer is withholding $15,000 (you can compute this from one paycheck) bearing in mind the standard personal deduction a taxpayer would be due several thousand dollars at the end of the year. Why leave it in the hands of the IRS. Why not place it in some sort of interest bearing account instead?

"diaddie mermaid"

Why leave it in the hands of the IRS. Why not place it in some sort of interest bearing account instead?

I don't disagree with you at all. I was just pointing out that someone who isn't aware of the penalties of underwithholding may interpret your advice the wrong way. So I threw that in there for balance.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Why leave it in the hands of the IRS. Why not place it in some sort of interest bearing account instead?

I don't disagree with you at all. I was just pointing out that someone who isn't aware of the penalties of underwithholding may interpret your advice the wrong way. So I threw that in there for balance.

Oh, ok. :blush:

"diaddie mermaid"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.