trailmix

Adjustment of Status

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Basically:

1. You will be denied entry if INS at the border finds out you are just comming over to marry. You may even get a ban placed upon you. They are good at finding out things people hide when crossing. So if you were able to decieve them and get across then yes you can marry and apply for AOS. At the GC interview, they will ask how you met, got married etc. They do have a standard of amnesty then so quite often that gets applied and they will allow the Green Card process to happen, but not in all cases. So you could be finding the interview part to be an issue when it comes up.

2. (can't see the original question) but you cannot leave the US until you get your AP. This is not your Green Card. The Green Card comes later. It's the AP that allows you to re-enter the US. If you are filing the AOS process this is one of the documents you are filling out along with the EAD...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT COMING TO THE US ON A TOURIST VISA OR VWP FOR A VACATION AND THEN AFTER YOU ARE HERE YOU DECIDED TO GET MARRIED AND REMAIN.....

IT IS ILLEGAL TO PLAN TO COME TO THE US ON A TOURIST VISA/ VWP WITH THE INTENT OF GETTING MARRIED AND REMAINING....

There are 1000's of people that do AOS from a tourist visa / vwp every year.... it comes down to when did you decide to remain in the US.... BEFORE or AFTER entry....

Everyone I have spoken to that has done AOS after getting married and filling for AOS say that they were never asked about intent at their interview....

As for all the mis-info about not being able to work for years.... NOT TRUE..... your AOS will be processed in the same timeframe as anyone else.... your EAD should take no longer than 90 days... you can apply for a SSN as soon as you have your EAD and the only people who should not leave the US until they have their greencard are those who entered on a VWP because you give up your right to appeal if you are refused re-entry...

Kez

Filed: Other Timeline

How exactly is it "misinformation" if we actually know someone it happened to?

I DO know of someone (a Canadian) who came to the US as a tourist, got married, applied for AOS, was denied AP and EAD until her AOS was completed about 2.5 years later. And I've read of a few other cases similar as well, some were denied just AP, some denied both AP and EAD, some received both with no question, and had their green card faster. Some have been through this forum at VJ, and some I've seen at other Can/Am forums. Some I've known through personal acquaintances.

Kez, I understand that you entered the US as a tourist, got married and successfully adjusted status, congratulations to you. However this is not necessarily the case for each and every person who does so. Each and every person must decide for themselves what avenue will be best for them to pursue, and it is much easier for them to make an educated decision if they have information about all possibilities.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think anyone here is arguing the legalities of coming as a visitor with no intent to stay and later after entry deciding to get married and stay.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

I agree that each person has to make a choice based on the information available to them.... I am just making sure that they know it can be done and done legally.... are you 100% sure that in the cases you quote that EAD and/or AP was delayed or denied because the applicant has filed for AOS from a tourist visa or any other non-immigrant visa.... there is nothing in either case law or the adjudicators manual that indicate entry on a tourist/vwp visa as a reason to delay or a denial for EAD and/or AP.... there are lots of other reasons for that to happen... like failure to submit initial evidence being one...

The only denials I have ever seen for people who have done AOS fron a tourist/Vwp visa have been because they were found out about having had intent on entry at their interview....

If you have other evidence to show that people were denied AOS or EAD just because they entered on a tourist visa/VWP or non-imigrant visa then please provide links so people can read it...

Kez

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We got married in the US and filed the I 130.

I went to Canada for what I thought was going to be a 2 week visit- I was denied entry back to the US and was told I would have to stay in Canada until I have my Visa.

I remember phoning Mel from the Airport- I told him the Customs guy said it would take about a month- he said when my I 130 is approved I needed to take it to Calgary and they would stamp it and I would be free to go. :lol: At that time me and Mel were pretty clueless about immigration. I struggled for the next few months trying to find out what we do next- I was getting conflicting advice from everyone I talked to. It wasn't until I found VJ that I really found the help I needed.

It was a tough 10 months (my K3 only took 5 months, but it took a while for us to make the decision to file for it) and I only saw Mel for 4 days during that time but I have to say I am really glad I did go through the Visa process in Canada. If I hadn't made that trip and stayed in the US- I honestly don't know if I would have ran into any problems. I didn't enter the US with the intention of staying but If I needed to show proof of this, I'm really not sure how I would have. Plus getting all the papers together I needed- extra Birth Certificates, Divorce Certificates, Police Certificates, etc was so much easier to get while I was in Canada.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
THERE IS NOTHING ILLEGAL ABOUT COMING TO THE US ON A TOURIST VISA OR VWP FOR A VACATION AND THEN AFTER YOU ARE HERE YOU DECIDED TO GET MARRIED AND REMAIN.....

IT IS ILLEGAL TO PLAN TO COME TO THE US ON A TOURIST VISA/ VWP WITH THE INTENT OF GETTING MARRIED AND REMAINING....

No there isn't, however, if your intent is really marriage and you get asked questions at the border, many people might then become nervous when the officer asks things like "Do you know anyone in the US", "Who are you staying with", "Oh your SO, are you guys going to plan to get married?" etc.

So in the situation of those types of questions that many times will get asked, then unless you can lie straight out without arising any suspescion (sp?) then you probably can get away with it. For most cases people will get nervous under that pressure and the truth generally will come out of the real intention and then you are caught and exposed which will make things a lot harder to cross the border even for a visit in the future until you actually get a visa in hand...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

If you have other evidence to show that people were denied AOS or EAD just because they entered on a tourist visa/VWP or non-imigrant visa then please provide links so people can read it...

Just as a point of clarification..... Canadians don't require a visa to enter the United States.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The only denials I have ever seen for people who have done AOS fron a tourist/Vwp visa have been because they were found out about having had intent on entry at their interview....

Kez

I might be missing a post or something but I don't know who you are directing your comments to? I think it was made clear very early on in this thread that it was about intent - not about whether you get married then do AOS or enter on a temp visa and get married.

I'm not saying this to be argumentative or confrontational I am confused about where you are picking this up from.

Edited by trailmix

Sorry I should have put the quote in there too....

How exactly is it "misinformation" if we actually know someone it happened to?

I DO know of someone (a Canadian) who came to the US as a tourist, got married, applied for AOS, was denied AP and EAD until her AOS was completed about 2.5 years later. And I've read of a few other cases similar as well, some were denied just AP, some denied both AP and EAD, some received both with no question, and had their green card faster. Some have been through this forum at VJ, and some I've seen at other Can/Am forums. Some I've known through personal acquaintances.

Kez, I understand that you entered the US as a tourist, got married and successfully adjusted status, congratulations to you. However this is not necessarily the case for each and every person who does so. Each and every person must decide for themselves what avenue will be best for them to pursue, and it is much easier for them to make an educated decision if they have information about all possibilities.

I agree that each person has to make a choice based on the information available to them.... I am just making sure that they know it can be done and done legally.... are you 100% sure that in the cases you quote that EAD and/or AP was delayed or denied because the applicant has filed for AOS from a tourist visa or any other non-immigrant visa.... there is nothing in either case law or the adjudicators manual that indicate entry on a tourist/vwp visa as a reason to delay or a denial for EAD and/or AP.... there are lots of other reasons for that to happen... like failure to submit initial evidence being one...

Kez

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.