sroberts3000

Sending Money to Canada from the US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry if I am rehashing an old topic, I did see something on this a few weeks ago.

However, has anyone done any reasearch on quick, cheap ways to get cash up to Canada when needed. We are leaving our kids in Canada in School and will need to be sending them money. I guess the question is two-fold. 1) is there a quick way just to get cash up to them directly, or 2) is there a way to get money into their bank accounts. Typically here in Canada we e-mail the money directly from our Candian bank, anything similar to that in the US???

By cheap I mean: Western Union is $15; E-mail money transfer is $1.50. (I like the latter much better).

SR

SR

Timeline: For IR-1 - DCF

Aug. 28/07 I-130 delivered and approved at Calgary Consulate

Sept. 7/07 I-130 Forwarded to Montreal from Calgary

Oct. 10/07 Packet 3 Received in the mail (reglular snail mail)

Oct. 11/07 DS-230 Returned to Montreal (regular snail mail)

Oct. 15/07 Checklist Returned to Montreal (regular snail mail)

Feb. 11/08 Received email with interview date set for March 12/08

Feb. 20/08 Medical in Vancouver

Feb. 21/08 Received interview letter in mail with correct address on it - finally

Mar. 12/08 Interview in Montreal, Visa approved

Mar. 17/08 Visa arrives in mail

Mar. 29/08 Crossed the border at Sweetgrass, Montana: Set up residence at Williston, ND

April. 18/08 Green Card arrived in the mail

April 21/08 Social Security arrives in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Set up an account at www.customhouse.ca ... you will be able to send funds via EFT from your American account and into a Canadian one and the exchange rate is reasonable ... and there are no fees (other than the exchange rate of course). It takes a bit to set it up but after that it's a breeze

Met in Cleveland 07/07/05 ... Fireworks!!!

Emails and phone calls until first visit back September '05

Many trips to Cleveland and overnight stays in New York

Engaged 05/07/06

07/18/07 - Interview yeeehaaa .. approved

07/26/07 - received Visa from Montreal (should have received 07/24)

07/26/07 - POE Buffalo, NY (Peace Bridge) .. No EAD stamp

07/27/07 - Beautiful marriage .. now you may call me Mrs. :)

07/28/07 - Filed AOS,EAD, and AP for me and AOS and AP for my son via UPS .. received 08/01

08/16/07 - applied for ssn

09/03/07 - received ssn card

11/07/07 - AP approved and received 11/12/07 :)

11/19/07- EAD approved online and received same day (actual approval 11/07/07) :)

12/27/07 - AOS transferred to CSC

02/26/08 - 485's approved without interview

01/14/09 - Sent I-751 - removal of conditions

02/23/10 - Biometrics

03/17/10 - Removal of conditions approved .. card production ordered

"Life is not measured by the amount of breaths that we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.customhouse.com/ actual log in page is https://vantage.customhouse.com/cgi-bin/Login.cgi

I use it to send $$ to Canada (when going back for vacation) and as well from Canada to the USA. Have been using it since 2005 with great success. As long as you do it electronically (EFT) there are no fees, but it takes 3-4 business days to complete a transaction. One can do it wire, but then it charges u fees!!! Customer service is top notch!!! Actually based out of Victoria BC, down by the waterfront!! Walked by their office numerous times when i resided there. Awhile back I posted step by step instructions for signing up. using the VJ search engine search custom house,. best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

My husband and I have joint bank accounts in both countries (WellsFargo on U.S. side and TD Canada for the Canadian). We just deposit money on one side of the border and the other takes it out via ATM on the other.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.