ashp

RFE on I-485 holding up my EAD

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Argh, I'm so frustrated right now. I just got an RFE for more documents from my joint sponsor, and they have started holding up EADs based on this RFE. There's a lawsuit being filed in Texas over this because it's unfair to hold up a totally seperate application over a RFE for something else, but this claims I won't get my EAD for 90 days post RFE receipt. Is this really the case or is this wording just covering their ###?

I hope this makes sense to you, I'm really upset about this because it's hard to go 7 months without working when I'm the primary breadwinner, how the hell do they expect people to survive? This whole system is so insane.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iceland
Timeline
Argh, I'm so frustrated right now. I just got an RFE for more documents from my joint sponsor, and they have started holding up EADs based on this RFE. There's a lawsuit being filed in Texas over this because it's unfair to hold up a totally seperate application over a RFE for something else, but this claims I won't get my EAD for 90 days post RFE receipt. Is this really the case or is this wording just covering their ###?

I hope this makes sense to you, I'm really upset about this because it's hard to go 7 months without working when I'm the primary breadwinner, how the hell do they expect people to survive? This whole system is so insane.

I got the same ####### letter yesterday, and I also have the same story, that my salary is something we're counting on getting.

I sent them all they are asking for now, when I mailed the application in September, but now ofcourse have to do it again. This at least postpones my case for 3 weeks, as it took their letter 1 week to get to me, it'll take my father in law at least a week - 10 days to send me this stuff again (he's a busy man) and then a few days for my mail to get to them.

I hope my employer will look the other way when my work stamp expires on Nov. 16th, but if not then I guess I'll be sitting at home for a few weeks, the worst is that I can not go shopping around for a more permanent workplace since I don't have the EAD, but only a stamp close to expiration.

I think I've seen that this 90 day ####### is not real, but it is a nuisance threat, and I could totally see USCIS sending these out to save their own asses, when they're running late in processing and feel that they need to get themselves additional time.

They are required to give out the EAD within 90 days, by law, but hey if they send out an RFE then they can get themselves 90 additional days for slacking! (Yippee)

Ofcourse it is a totally bogus way to do processing.

Edited by pervez

--

See my Profile -> Signature&Story -> Story for further timeline info.

I-131 AP - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-September-18 - Mailed to Chicago

2007-November-16 - Application Approved

I-485 AOS - Status: Completed

2007-September-20 - Delivered in Chicago

2007-September-25 - Date of NOA1 for Application

MORE DETAILED TIMELINE INFO MY PROFILE UNDER "SIGNATURE & STORY"

2008-January-31 - Green Card Production Ordered

2008-February-01 - Welcome Notice Mailed

I-765 EAD - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-November-20 - Application Approved

Timeline

I got the same ####### letter yesterday, and I also have the same story, that my salary is something we're counting on getting.

I sent them all they are asking for now, when I mailed the application in September, but now ofcourse have to do it again. This at least postpones my case for 3 weeks, as it took their letter 1 week to get to me, it'll take my father in law at least a week - 10 days to send me this stuff again (he's a busy man) and then a few days for my mail to get to them.

I hope my employer will look the other way when my work stamp expires on Nov. 16th, but if not then I guess I'll be sitting at home for a few weeks, the worst is that I can not go shopping around for a more permanent workplace since I don't have the EAD, but only a stamp close to expiration.

I think I've seen that this 90 day ####### is not real, but it is a nuisance threat, and I could totally see USCIS sending these out to save their own asses, when they're running late in processing and feel that they need to get themselves additional time.

They are required to give out the EAD within 90 days, by law, but hey if they send out an RFE then they can get themselves 90 additional days for slacking! (Yippee)

Ofcourse it is a totally bogus way to do processing.

I don't even have a work stamp, I was told it wasn't worth applying for as I was applying for my EAD and that it would expire 90 days after my K-1 was granted (I arrived at the end of July, so it would be expired already). Luckily my father is supporting me while I'm here as he can afford to, but it still puts our entire married life on hold. they want me to provide all kinds of evidence of our relationship together but we can't afford to do more than hole up in the house and watch TV. So disappointing. :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Same thing happened to me. If it is really a 90 day delay I am so hooped. It's only been about 43 days, so I am halfway there. But it says on my AOS I should hear back within 60 days of receipt so thats 17 days away. Here's hoping the 90 days is just an estimate.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iceland
Timeline
Same thing happened to me. If it is really a 90 day delay I am so hooped. It's only been about 43 days, so I am halfway there. But it says on my AOS I should hear back within 60 days of receipt so thats 17 days away. Here's hoping the 90 days is just an estimate.

Yes, same here.

I am to write a final thesis next spring from my Bachelors studies, for that I will need a work permit, as it technically is work.

So if no EAD on february 1st, not only will we be strained financially from me not being able to work, but also my bachelors will be postponed from June 15th 2008 to January 15th 2009. Now that would also truly suck as I already postponed it half a year to move over to this site of the pond(should've been writing it now)

Edited by pervez

--

See my Profile -> Signature&Story -> Story for further timeline info.

I-131 AP - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-November-16 - Application Approved

I-485 AOS - Status: Completed

2007-September-20 - Delivered in Chicago

2007-September-25 - Date of NOA1 for Application

MORE DETAILED TIMELINE INFO MY PROFILE UNDER "SIGNATURE & STORY"

2008-January-31 - Green Card Production Ordered

2008-February-01 - Welcome Notice Mailed

I-765 EAD - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-November-20 - Application Approved

Timeline

We may have a new group of people here. Can you fill in time lines so we can keep track of progress?

July 5 - EAD/AOS Received

July 23 -RFE

Sept 10 - USCIS Received RFE, Case online reflects receipt in AOS but not EAD

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

I'm sorry to hear about the RFEs and hope that your process will be back on track soon.

The RFE pertaining to your joint sponsor is relevant to the processing of your EAD. Your EAD is based on your eligibility to apply for Adjustment of Status. The joint sponsor document is a requirement to prove that you are eligible for Adjustment of Status. If the evidence is not complete in order to ascertain your eligibility for AOS, then they cannot ascertain your eligibility for EAD also.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

I had my Biometrics Appointment a week ago and now the lawyer is requesting w-2s, 1099s, tax returns, I-864....

I am upset about this because my lawyers already HAVE copies of these except for the I-864. But hell they could have had me fill that out before and kept it on file if they knew I would HAVE to send that in.

I quit my job almost a month ago and Things have been frugal without me working.

I have to get back to work soon. This is a human issue food, water, and sleep. NOT PAPERWORK. I am tired of IRS paperwork, INS paperwork, and all other paperwork. Sometimes I feel we are only defined by a piece of paper.

Sorry I had to vent. But I am trying to stay calm and just send them what they ask for as quick as it can get there. I just do my part and put the rest in gods hands.

So I wish you all the best. Gather up the paperwork and Mail it out.

1999 met now hubby

2002 started dating

2006 got married

08/07 Found a lawyer I like!

09/07/07 AOS Package Mailed out

09/20/2007 INS received the file.

09/24/2007 Lawyers office receives the receipts.

09/26/2007 I create an online account at uscis.gov and can view all my forms.

10/01/2007 biometrics appointment notice.

10/17/2007 BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT

10/23/2007 Lawyers requested I-864, copy of tax return and copy of w-2s and 1099. Also evidence supporting 245I (I don't know what that is).

I am in the same situation as you guys.

AOS: mailed overnight July 23, 2007

Date Filed : 2007-07-30 according to NAO receipt

NOA Date : 2007-09-04

Bio. Appt. : 2007-09-12

RFE(s) : 2007-09-18

The response to RFE was received October 5, 2007 and now the processing continues.

The EAD application was sent in the same time as the AOS application and it has been 90 days and I still cannot check the status online, and I have not received anything in the mail about my EAD. Should I call to find out about my EAD?

We may have a new group of people here. Can you fill in time lines so we can keep track of progress?

July 5 - EAD/AOS Received

July 23 -RFE

Sept 10 - USCIS Received RFE, Case online reflects receipt in AOS but not EAD

Timeline

I'd just love to know who has 7-12 months of 'savings' to live off after paying all these fees on top. It's like they are trying to force us to leave the country. Very xenophobic to restrict everyone from working for months and months in an attempt to whittle down those of non-independent means.

Timeline

Iyahata: Calling won't get you anywhere, the toll free number is now useless for checking case information. All you can do is go to infopass and hope the officers have some sort of insight.

ashp: Very few do. We are relying on my wife's income which is very little and living with her mother. The situation is volatile to say the least and I need to work before I lose it.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline

I called USCIS and the officer stated my EAD is well outside processing times. They are currently working on cases from July 30th. So I am to wait 6 more days and then call back and they can check into it or expedite it apparently.

So if you are 31 days (or 30 days he wasn't clear and mentioned both) before July 30th, then you can call in for EAD/AOS as he said that is for both. We shall see, I'll be calling in next thursday/friday.

Just wanted to let you all know. I hope this helps.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

I called USCIS and the officer stated my EAD is well outside processing times. They are currently working on cases from July 30th. So I am to wait 6 more days and then call back and they can check into it or expedite it apparently.

So if you are 31 days (or 30 days he wasn't clear and mentioned both) before July 30th, then you can call in for EAD/AOS as he said that is for both. We shall see, I'll be calling in next thursday/friday.

Thanks "bradcanuck" for posting that information. I will wait until the end of the month to before I made some contact about my EAD. My receipt notice is dated July 30th. I would have felt more reassured if I was able to check my EAD online but even though my biometrics was done since September, my information has not been entered into the system.

Thanks "bradcanuck" for posting that information. I will wait until the end of the month to before I made some contact about my EAD. My receipt notice is dated July 30th. I would have felt more reassured if I was able to check my EAD online but even though my biometrics was done since September, my information has not been entered into the system.

I just checked the website and my receipt number finally works. Card production for my EAD was ordered yesterday. Goodluck to everyone who is still waiting after getting an RFE. It has been 3 weeks since I sent in the evidence they required and card production.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.