rouguewave

Moving your cellphone from PI to US

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can any of you share what your experiences were regarding the changes in cellphone service, usage, and equipment when you moved from PI to US? This is the latest discussions between honey ko and I. I understand a little of the technology and will be reading and researching more, but just thought I'd ask on the forum to see if there were any particular "nuggets" that members could offer. Things like:

Did you just bring your phone here (US) and sign up for a service, or have to buy a new one?

Any problems getting your cellphone to work with US provider, if you tried?

Did you find (or try to find) a plan that allowed you to exchange txts with Phil friends & family?

If this is covered elsewhere, I apologise for the duplicate. I did a quick look, but didn't see anything specific to this. Thanks.

K1 Visa Process
USPS Express Mail I-129F Package sent to USCIS VT Service Center 07/05/07
NOA-1 Received: Notice Date 07/11/07
NOA-2 Received: Notice Date 11/20/07
Medical conducted 12/21, 26, 28/07, 01/02/08
USEM Interview conducted 01/04/08
Visas picked up at USEM (request non-delivery) 01/08/08
Family (Mom & kids) arrive Washington, DC 01/13/08

AOS Process
USPS Priority Mail package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 03/14/08
Arrived Chicago Lockbox 03/16/08
Checks Cashed for AOS fees 04/24/08
NOA1s received 04/25/08
Biometrics (spouse & 3 kids) 05/14/08
AOS transferred to CSC 05/23/08

This thread might help you a little bit.

Smart phone, roaming in USA, how

To cut it down to short, you can only use the sim cards from the Phils for text only when in the states.

You can use a sim card from Cingular, T-Mobile, etc that is compatible with the the service bands on the phone. So you wouldn't have to purchase a new phone, but with the cellular deals now a days, you typically get the phone for nothing or next to nothing.

Removing Conditions

11/29/09 - I-751 Sent

11/30/09 - I-751 Received

12/01/11 - NOA

08/24/12 - Approved, no interview, card ordered

AOS/EAD/AP

06/11/09 - AOS/EAD/AP Sent

12/29/09 - AOS Approved, no interview, card ordered

01/04/10 - LPR card received

-------

Please update your time-line, it benefits us all.

This thread might help you a little bit.

Smart phone, roaming in USA, how

To cut it down to short, you can only use the sim cards from the Phils for text only when in the states.

You can use a sim card from Cingular, T-Mobile, etc that is compatible with the the service bands on the phone. So you wouldn't have to purchase a new phone, but with the cellular deals now a days, you typically get the phone for nothing or next to nothing.

Go with the new service. I got Claudeth a nice camera phone by just adding her onto my account.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

I got Kathlene a new RAZR v3XX for free after rebate by adding her to my Cingular/AT&T/INSERT NEW COMPANY HERE account. and for about $15 got an unlock code off eBay. Sent her the phone and for some reason, it gets a good signal with the AT&T sim, but her Touch Mobile sim only picks up in the city. (TM says she is too far from the tower) but I digress . . .

That way when she leaves for the US, she can just put the AT&T sim back in and be ready to give me a call once she lands in Detroit after she gets done with immigration. That way she will feel a little more comfortable as she travels and has to change planes in Detroit to meet me in Nashville.

Do ask about reception though, I have held my cheap LG phone next to the latest Motorola and I have 3 or more bars and they have no signal with the same provider. :(

Edited by Dogwood_Poet

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Did you just bring your phone here (US) and sign up for a service, or have to buy a new one?

I left mine in the PI cause my fiance sent me one before my flight, I used it to contact him during my layover and before we get out from the plane....

besides there are lots of phone company here that you can both get the service with free call between the users.....

K2 ROC Time line
08/31/11 - package sent to CSC
09/02/11 - package delivered(Labor day weekend)
09/07/11 - check cashed
09/21/11 - requested NOA replacement
09/29/11 - received replacement of NOA(no NOA date)
02/03/12 - email received card production ordered!!!
02/09/12 - GC received

N-400 Time line
09/05/12 - package sent to Phoenix AZ
09/07/12 - package received
09/10/12 - NOA sent
09/11/12 - check cashed, email and text received
09/13/12 - biometrics sent
09/14/12 - received NOA(took 4 days to received!!!)
09/15/12 - biometrics letter received
09/26/12 - finger print done
09/28/12 - placed in line for an interview schedule
11/21/12 - interview scheduled
11/28/12 - received interview letter
12/26/12 - INTERVIEW DAY at 2pm
12/31/12 - scheduled for oath ceremony
01/17/13 - OATH CEREMONY

I-30 Petition for Father

6/23/16 - sent application

6/29/16 - NOA1

8/03/16 - NOA2

9/19/16 - NVC approved notice thru email

9/25/16 - AOS fee paid online

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Did you find (or try to find) a plan that allowed you to exchange txts with Phil friends & family?

I brought my razorv3i cellphone to the U.S. with me and put the sim card in at my POE at Minneapolis and it worked fine. The reason that it worked fine is because it is a GSM/QuadBand phone which is the same technology used by AT&T which is the carrier that my fiancee uses. If you use sprint or nextel and your fiancee uses globe or smart in the philippines it will not work due to the different technology (unless you sign up with AT&T, Verizon, Rogers, or the like).

CG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Can any of you share what your experiences were regarding the changes in cellphone service, usage, and equipment when you moved from PI to US? This is the latest discussions between honey ko and I. I understand a little of the technology and will be reading and researching more, but just thought I'd ask on the forum to see if there were any particular "nuggets" that members could offer. Things like:

If this is covered elsewhere, I apologise for the duplicate. I did a quick look, but didn't see anything specific to this. Thanks.

This my experience. I brought along my phone from PI because as what other told me , if i have the roaming activated i can receive text from my families from PI. When i got here in Las Vegas my phone didn't work at all even with the roaming account activated. International Roaming is not available in this area (that sucks). Second thing is our phone from PI are built with 220V battery pack and the US voltage input is 110V, so when the battery runs out you have way to recharge it. So my phone is setting there inside my drawer, its useless, i can't even take out the phone numbers stored on its phone book. I am using Chikka for texting, for me it costs nothing but it cost 2.50 pesos / text for someone in PI to reply.

everybody's saying here are right :thumbs: when i got here i had my roaming phone plus another US phone line. so i was bringing 2 phones everywhere i go lol... then i gave it up after 2 months and sent my roaming phone back to phil... at&t or other services will give you free phone if you're in a family plan so phone here is easy to get... good luck and God bless

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for all the helpful responses. This is all good information.

K1 Visa Process
USPS Express Mail I-129F Package sent to USCIS VT Service Center 07/05/07
NOA-1 Received: Notice Date 07/11/07
NOA-2 Received: Notice Date 11/20/07
Medical conducted 12/21, 26, 28/07, 01/02/08
USEM Interview conducted 01/04/08
Visas picked up at USEM (request non-delivery) 01/08/08
Family (Mom & kids) arrive Washington, DC 01/13/08

AOS Process
USPS Priority Mail package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 03/14/08
Arrived Chicago Lockbox 03/16/08
Checks Cashed for AOS fees 04/24/08
NOA1s received 04/25/08
Biometrics (spouse & 3 kids) 05/14/08
AOS transferred to CSC 05/23/08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.