Misty1979

ANOTHER question...

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm trying to play my trip to Montreal...yes it's way off in December, but I like to plan waaay ahead lol. (Plus you save huge on plane tickets sometimes if you book early.)

Anyways, I'm already in the US visiting right now, and will most likely be here until the interview. (Yes it's a very long visit, but I'm going to be helping my MIL clean up and sell her place, plus we have all this new paperwork for the co-sponsor deal I have to help with, and I don't really have any pressing business calling me back to Canada, so why not?)

Anywhooo... the problem lies here: If I were to buy a plane ticket to Montreal, I would need to go back to my home city and wait for the visa in the mail afterwards, then have another ticket to come back here. I checked prices out, and a multi-city ticket like that is going to cost about $900. To put it gently, there is no way in hell we can afford that right now. We could rent a car and drive, but that is 15 hours of driving, and also my husband can't miss those particular days at school to drive me there. I wouldn't want to do that whole drive alone, because knowing myself, I will surely get lost and end up in Mexico.

After all that rambling, my question is this: Since I have to give them an Xpress post envelope anyways to mail out my visa in, could I just write my Montreal hotel address on there and wait for the visa there? I'm sure if I waited in Montreal it would only take a day or two to arrive, so the extra hotel days would be very cheap. That would at least save the plane ticket from Montreal to Victoria. My MIL also may be wanting to tag along for the trip, so we could end up driving there, so waiting for the visa there really would be the easiest option for me right now. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

yep!

ppl have done that in the past.. plus, since it's in MTl itself, you'll get it super fast!

(sorry I keep catching all your questions)!

I swear I disappeared from VJ for the last 2 hours!

(I ate lunch and watched Deal or No deal!!!!!!)

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

Timeline
yep!

ppl have done that in the past.. plus, since it's in MTl itself, you'll get it super fast!

Was that sarcasm I detected in the above phrase, or will Montreal really deliver it within 2-3 days? My interview is on a Thursday, so that only leaves a 2 day time-frame for them to have it delivered to me unless I want to pay big bucks to stay the whole weekend :blink: Or...maybe they would let me come in and pick it up myself? Has anyone ever tried that?

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

yep!

Was that sarcasm I detected in the above phrase, or will Montreal really deliver it within 2-3 days? My interview is on a Thursday, so that only leaves a 2 day time-frame for them to have it delivered to me unless I want to pay big bucks to stay the whole weekend :blink: Or...maybe they would let me come in and pick it up myself? Has anyone ever tried that?

no sarcasm

they WON'T let you come and pick it up

but you can't rely on them mailing it out to you that day or the day after

what if they just don't get around to it til monday?

you're gonna need a back up plan

there's a hostel in montreal that's close by and super cheap!

little ghetto but safe.

(although that might just be the princess in me; I have stayed there one night)

vj_sig-2-2_2.jpg

I would come up with another option. Yes, it can be delivered fast if you are in Montreal, but that all depends on how long it takes them to get your package together and off to the post office. It was 5 days after my interview, that my package was accepted at the post office in Montreal, then in Vanc 24 hours later. You could end up spending alot of money on a hotel room, just waiting for it.

I paid $800. for my flight to Montreal from Vancouver and I searched for 2 weeks straight. Your muliple city ticket sounds like a good price to me! But I know it sux having to go all the way there, spend the money, for a 5 min interview!!! Nothing like moving to another country and having more debt!!!

Aug/2001: We met, started dating long distance style and lots of weekend sleepovers!!!

May 16/2004: Married, and still doing weekend sleepovers

Mar 13/2006: Sent off I-130

Mar 28/2006: Rec'vd NOA1

July 7/2006: Rec'vd NOA2

Aug 29/2006: Rec'vd IV Bill

Sep 12-2006: Pay IV Bill

Mar 30/2007: Case Completed at NVC

Jul 18/2007: Case left NVC on way to Montreal

Aug 31/2007: Rec'vd 1st interview letter (the one they DIDN'T send me, due to NVC having my address tagged as bad---this one was hubby's that I got 5 weeks late.)

Aug 9/2007 : 1st Interview Date (of course I missed it)

Sep 15/2007: Rec'vd 2nd interview letter

Sep 26/2007: Medical Appt booked

Oct 5/2007: 2nd Interview scheduled in Montreal

Oct 5/2007: Approved!!!!!!!

Oct 11/2007: Recv'd Visa in hand after hearing doorbell ring

Oct 21/2007: Activated visa

Nov 20/2007: Applied for SSN because it wasn't done for me... UGH!!!

Dec 03/2007: Received SSN in mail... YAHOO!

Apr 11/2008: GC finally arrived

Timeline

Yeah, I've been searching around all night for other options, so I'm sure something will turn up. If my MIL does decide to come, we most likely will just end up staying there a week or so since she will want to see the city anyways, otherwise I will end up doing the multiple flight thing. Planes scare me, so three long flights in less than 2 weeks is going to be VERY interesting lol. Hellooooo alcohol and sedatives....

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

try www.sidestep.com

I was going to fly to Toronto from NC and home from Montreal and the cost was about $550

Mary

11/7/07 INTERVIEW 8:30 a.m. APPROVED!!!!!!

11/13/07 Visa Received ~*happy dance*~

12/28/2007 Trev's moving HOME !!!!!!!

Mary loses her job and doesn't want to lie to her gov't so we wait as long as we can and then..................

4/6/2008 Trev returns to Canada

8/30/2008 Trev is denied entry at the border

............to be continued once we file again.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I emailed Montreal inquiring if I could provide ANY Canadian address for my visa to be sent to (I've resided in VANC and am staying with family in the Maritimes until my interview date ) and they said YES; those who are already residing in USA usually wait in MTL for that visa and then promptly return to USA with it. It may be the best recourse to advise the hotel/motel you are at that you are expecting it within 2-3 days and HOW IMPORTANT that document is to you and that you must be alerted as soon as it arrives :-).

I have a question for you if I may:

It appears in the dates you have listed that for your " case completed " in June/07 - and then your interview is not until Dec 6, does that mean it actually takes approx 6 months for NVC to get that interview for us in MTL?

My case was completed Spt 21 and we've been told that there are no interview dates available in Oct and Nov but they have not given us a date. Did you have to wait several months to even get notification of that date or were you told it several months in advance? How long before the interview date were you notified of that date?

This would be MOST helpful to know. This waiting is so difficult, keeping one's life in limbo.

Kind Thanks & Regards

Lori

bcnaturalgal@gmail.com

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello,

I emailed Montreal inquiring if I could provide ANY Canadian address for my visa to be sent to (I've resided in VANC and am staying with family in the Maritimes until my interview date ) and they said YES; those who are already residing in USA usually wait in MTL for that visa and then promptly return to USA with it. It may be the best recourse to advise the hotel/motel you are at that you are expecting it within 2-3 days and HOW IMPORTANT that document is to you and that you must be alerted as soon as it arrives :-).

I have a question for you if I may:

It appears in the dates you have listed that for your " case completed " in June/07 - and then your interview is not until Dec 6, does that mean it actually takes approx 6 months for NVC to get that interview for us in MTL?

My case was completed Spt 21 and we've been told that there are no interview dates available in Oct and Nov but they have not given us a date. Did you have to wait several months to even get notification of that date or were you told it several months in advance? How long before the interview date were you notified of that date?

This would be MOST helpful to know. This waiting is so difficult, keeping one's life in limbo.

Kind Thanks & Regards

Lori

bcnaturalgal@gmail.com

My parents are IR5s and their cases were completed on July 27. On October 18 we received word, telephonically, that the interviews had been scheduled for December 19. That's two months in advance. I received the interview notice in the mail on the 22nd of this month for my father (two copies of the same letter) and on the 23rd (a copy of my mother's notice) and on the 24th (a second copy of my mother's notice). Some people have received word a few weeks in advance and others have had a more reasonable time to be be prepared for the interview.

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

As of late, it has been taking about 6 months to receive an interview. However, back in February, the norm was about 2 months from case completion to interview. They seem to have caught up quite a bit on their backlog now, so I'm *guessing* it won't take as long as six months anymore. Usually they give you notice of your interview about a month ahead of time (they do their scheduling at the second week of every month, for the following month.)

For some reason this time, they decided to schedule 2 months in advance, I think just to satisfy some of us who had been waiting so long.

And welcome to VJ! Nice to see some new members rolling in. We're a pretty friendly bunch around here, so feel free to ask away if you have any questions :star:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

yep!

A little late to answer that question, but I was living in Montreal. It all depends on how fast they mail it out, but to get it it's 1 day. I had my interview on April 4th 2007 (wednesday) and thought I would get it only the week after because they said they would mail it on the 5th, and the 6th through the 9th was the easter week-end and the post office would be closed. But they mailed it the same day, so the post office received it on the 5th ( I wasn't home to receive it) and fortunately they let me pick it up the same day, even though usually it's not before the next day at 12 pm. :)

So if they put it in the mail fast, should take you 1 day :)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
yep!

A little late to answer that question, but I was living in Montreal.

It's never too late to answer a question, besides I like the kittys. :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.