~krakatoa~

Can someone please explain it better to me?

9 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to start this topic but anyway here's what happened. I just came home from a DMV office (CA). I applied for a DL, Basic Class C. I filled up the application form, went ahead and paid the corresponding fees, was made to take the vision test and passed it. Right after that, I took the written test and passed. I was expecting some instructions for a road test to pass later in the course of the application process. Instead, the DMV representative asked for my foreign DL (I was hesitant at first to give him the DL because I'm afraid that he would void it), and I dutifully handed him what he needed from me. After fiddling with the keys of his computer and typing codes & returning the foreign DL, he printed out on a DMV paper a notification that says: Temporary Driver's License, Class C and the DL number and my name, address and expiration of the this temp. DL and my biometrics.

Further below, it states: "This license is issued as a license to drive a motor vehicle; it does not establish eligibility for employment, voter registration, or public benefits." He made me sign the paper, then said "You may now drive home and alone without problems."

So is this it? No road test? It seems like I can drive now, am I not dreaming? I know I should be calling the DMV hotline(s), and I will, but I am not sure if I missed something and I'm hoping someone can explain things better to me. I did try to ask the DMV rep/agent but he called on to the next person in line nonchalantly and made his point that I should get going so he can move on finishing his business for the day.

This is a new experience again for me so I am a bit confused. I was expecting more drills. So, many thanks to those who can understand my experience and help me understand what have had just happened. :thumbs:

Edited by mysticbluerose

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

In NYS the temp drivers license is issued by the DMV office, the permanent one is mailed to your residence a week or so later. Temp is the paper one without a photo on it, permanent is a Photo-ID card.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I did see something about it too in their official website. Thanks YuandDan for the input! If that's the case, I should be expecting the permanent DL (photo ID) soon. That's comforting to know, really. I have to drive myself to work. Commuting is not helping anymore.

(I was hesitant at first to give him the DL because I'm afraid that he would void it),

He did - in a way. You won't be able to use your foreign license in CA again.

Further below, it states: "This license is issued as a license to drive a motor vehicle; it does not establish eligibility for employment, voter registration, or public benefits." He made me sign the paper, then said "You may now drive home and alone without problems."

So is this it? No road test? It seems like I can drive now, am I not dreaming?

Slightly weird - my experience was very similar, except I was told that I "could make an appointment for a road test now". The DMV guy might have made a mistake. What you described would usually happen if you had a license from another state.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In Virgina.. they take your picture and ask you to be seated. about 10 or 15 mins. later they call you up and give you your Driver License.

So every State is differnt. Calif. does give a Temp. one and will mail your Driver License in the mail.

Take care

In NYS the temp drivers license is issued by the DMV office, the permanent one is mailed to your residence a week or so later. Temp is the paper one without a photo on it, permanent is a Photo-ID card.

It is your temp license until the photo license can be printed and mailed to you. Doesn't it say on there somewhere that if you haven't received your photo license within a certain amount of time you need to return to the DMV? Been so long since I've had a temporary so don't remember.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

He did - in a way. You won't be able to use your foreign license in CA again.

In that sense, yes, agreed.

Slightly weird - my experience was very similar, except I was told that I "could make an appointment for a road test now". The DMV guy might have made a mistake. What you described would usually happen if you had a license from another state.

Yes, that was what I was thinking too. I forgot to add, that this DMV rep went to his supervisor, and showed my foreign DL, and they talked for a bit before returning to his seat and started typing away. The first representative who did my vision exam and handed me the form asked me "have you ever been issued a DL from another state?", I replied a clear & loud no (the place was so busy and some kids were crying & wanting to go to McDonalds :P).

She asked further, "How about a DL from your country?". Naturally, I said so. Then she typed away and continued to instruct me where to get seated for the written test and afterwhich, where to go for the correction of the exam and final processing (for written).

I wouldn't mind taking the road test, it is, after all, for my own safety and for others sharing the road with me. I just hope these reps are consistent and competent. It's confusing enough to navigate my roads the first time. ^_^

Yes, that was what I was thinking too. I forgot to add, that this DMV rep went to his supervisor, and showed my foreign DL, and they talked for a bit before returning to his seat and started typing away. The first representative who did my vision exam and handed me the form asked me "have you ever been issued a DL from another state?", I replied a clear & loud no (the place was so busy and some kids were crying & wanting to go to McDonalds ).

She asked further, "How about a DL from your country?". Naturally, I said so. Then she typed away and continued to instruct me where to get seated for the written test and afterwhich, where to go for the correction of the exam and final processing (for written).

I wouldn't mind taking the road test, it is, after all, for my own safety and for others sharing the road with me. I just hope these reps are consistent and competent. It's confusing enough to navigate my roads the first time.

I coudn't edit my previous post, I forgot to add too that I did have my photo and fingerprint taken after the vision exam.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I did see something about it too in their official website. Thanks YuandDan for the input! If that's the case, I should be expecting the permanent DL (photo ID) soon. That's comforting to know, really. I have to drive myself to work. Commuting is not helping anymore.

Well, you will get your permanent license in the mail, but... it is weird, and I agree with brtlmj - they should have given you a driving permit, tell you to make an appointment for a road test and explain that permit only allows you to drive with an adult over 21 who has a valid CA driver's license. This is how it was in the old days (2005), and unless the laws have changed, that's what should have happened.

Hopefully they won't find out they made a mistake. If they do, they'll make you take a road test, which is a piece of cake and the most simple of all road tests ever administered anywhere in the world :D

Good luck!

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.