LDora

Fee Waiver - Where to send?

11 posts in this topic

Okay. So I just recently moved to the states from Canada in August, and my husband and I were married on Oct 1 at Disney. Due to a really stupid oversight on my part (idiot that I am I didnt even look at what the fee would be), there is absolutely no way we can afford the AOS fee right now. We are still paying off the wedding and honeymoon, and I am not working yet. (I was planning on filing an I-765 with all my other AOS forms) So right now my husband is supporting us both. We're by no means scrabbling in the dirt, but we are strapped for cash right now, and we don't have any relatives we can borrow from.

In a panic, I called USCIS directly. The man I spoke to was extremely nice and helpful, and said that we should file a Fee Waiver. Since I am unemployed and dependant on my husband, he said he thought we had a good chance, especially considering all our other bills as well (the cost of living here in Florida is amazingly high to me). He gave me the address of a place in Chicago to send it to, but I'm wondering.

I thought I was supposed to send it to Texas? Do I send it along with all my AOS forms, or seperately and just include a copy with information for Texas?

Any information is really appreciated. We just got back from our honeymoon two days ago and this is basically all we need before we file. The date on my K-1 visa for filing is by Nov 6.

Thanks in advance guys. I've never posted here before, but I do a lot of reading, and you all helped me through the K-1 process and my interview with the consulate in Vancouver earlier this year. :)

"Your mom is in my head right now, and she's saying don't do that."

"For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You don't have to file before Nov 6th. It sounds like you were married within the 90 day timeframe and that is all you have to do, obvioulsy the quicker you can file for aos the better. I don't know much about fee waiver but if you don't qualify maybe you can save al ittle until you can afford the fee. I did hear you say you are strapped for cash, but as a last resort maybe you have to wait. Good luck anyway.

Yes, I have, thanks. :)

You don't have to file before Nov 6th. It sounds like you were married within the 90 day timeframe and that is all you have to do, obvioulsy the quicker you can file for aos the better. I don't know much about fee waiver but if you don't qualify maybe you can save al ittle until you can afford the fee. I did hear you say you are strapped for cash, but as a last resort maybe you have to wait. Good luck anyway.

Reading the FAQ on this site, it sounds as though it needs to be filed within the 90 days. Or am I missing something? It's possible -- I'm not that bright after days as stressful as this. :help: Can you explain what you mean?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Regarding your question on why you have send your AOS to Chicago instead of your Texas, I can explain that. Texas may be what you thought was your district but most Adjustment of Status' go through the Chicago Office. Then they are distributed to the other offices, until finally you go for you interview at your local office, which is probably not Texas. Take are closer look at the I-485 directions for mailing, it is very complicated that is for sure. My husband and I filed ours to the Chicago center, then later we had mail more evidence to Missori or something like that later, then go for biometrics in Jacksonville, FL, and finally have our interview in Atlanta, GA! (we live in southeast georgia)

Filed: Timeline

You need to file everything to Chicago LockBox not the Chicago office....

AS for having to file before your I-94 expires..... not true..

As long as you were married within the 90 days allowed you can file for AOS whenever you want.... Most people want to file as soon as they can so they are not out of status and to get their EAD and AP as soon as possible... however there are couples on VJ who because of financial difficulties have had to wait years to file... it is not a problem other than if more than 12 months have passed since you had your medical at the time you file for AOS then you will need to have another medical done...

There are other downsides to waiting to file... you can not leave the USA under any circumstances without having to refile for a spousal visa from outside the US.... and you can not legally be employed...

Over the years I have seen others try to get a fee wavier and not succeed... USCIS claims that unless you have had a event that has left you penniless then you should be able to meet the cost or how will you meet the requirements for the affidavit of support... but saying that it is a while since anyone has tried that I know of..

Good Luck

Kez

Thanks a lot guys. You're really helping to ease my mind. Just to clarify:

The main requirement for staying in the US right now after my K1 visa has expired was just to be married. Filing for AOS basically makes it so that I can travel and become employed and all that other good stuff. But if we do NOT file AOS right away, instead waiting until we have more cash (say, March right now), nobody from immigration is going to call me up and tell me I need to get out of the country, as long as I explain that we ARE going to file it ASAP? Is all that right?

Sorry for being such a pain. This has all been so crazy, I just don't want to make any mistakes. I really would like to not have to file for that waiver if at all possible.

Edited by LDora

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
The main requirement for staying in the US right now after my K1 visa has expired was just to be married. Filing for AOS basically makes it so that I can travel and become employed and all that other good stuff. But if we do NOT file AOS right away, instead waiting until we have more cash (say, March right now), nobody from immigration is going to call me up and tell me I need to get out of the country, as long as I explain that we ARE going to file it ASAP? Is all that right?

:yes: Right. I moved to the US from Canada on November 1st, 2006, got married November 17th, 2006 and didn't file for AOS until the end of May 2007 and everything was fine. ;)

Thanks a lot! :) It's a big relief to hear that from another fellow former Canadian. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow just to be sure -- and so, in case there are any problems in the long run, I can go "What do you mean, that's not right? Your agent named _______ told me I could do it!" That's one thing I've learned from this whole experience is always, always get names.

Thanks guys. If you have any other similar experiences -- hearing about each successful one lets my throat unclench a bit -- or anything else you think I should know, feel free to post or let me know. I really appreciate it.

Filed: Timeline
Thanks a lot! :) It's a big relief to hear that from another fellow former Canadian. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow just to be sure -- and so, in case there are any problems in the long run, I can go "What do you mean, that's not right? Your agent named _______ told me I could do it!" That's one thing I've learned from this whole experience is always, always get names.

Thanks guys. If you have any other similar experiences -- hearing about each successful one lets my throat unclench a bit -- or anything else you think I should know, feel free to post or let me know. I really appreciate it.

I would not bother calling the 1800 number to get info on anything.... it is called the miss-info line because you could call 5 times and ask the same question and get 5 answers and still none of them will be right.... the people who answer the 1800 lines are NOT immigration officers, they are a call center...

If you were to follow any advice given by them and it all went badly wrong and you say to the immigration officer well I was told that by Joe Blogs from the 1800 line, they will ask if you got it in writing..... if not its your word against theirs... if you want advice that you can hold someone accountable to then go see a immigration lawyer, but make sure you get it all in writing and make sure that the lawyer you go to see does actually know what they are talking about... we see so much wrong info given from so called immigration lawyer its unbelievable...

Save up the money for your AOS and file as soon as you can... you have nothing to worry about...

Kez

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

You won't get deported.

Hell, my husband was out of status for over 4 years and never got deported.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.