Nanusia & Lukaszek

New Social Security card after getting EAD

10 posts in this topic

My husband received his EAD a couple weeks ago. He's going to the Social Security office tomorrow to get the new social security card without the "requires authorization from dept of homeland security" part written on it. I'm working so I can't go with him. I just want to find out, will they ask to keep the current SS card? Will they take the I-94 out of his passport or anything like that? What else besides ID card, EAD should he bring with him?

Just want to make sure, so that any language barrier issues don't turn this into a mess.

12140.gif

They will not remove that demarkation from the card until you get your green card.

Hmm, then most of the HR depts that my husband has been applying at are complete idiots. Some have told him that he needs to go get a new card. Some see the "requires authorization" part and freak out cause they never have seen it on a SS card before.

I was under the impression that since he has the EAD that he has authorization from homeland security and that he could get that removed.

12140.gif

No. All the EAD card does is tell an employer that he is eligible for work - that is the DHS authorization that is referred to on the card.

The green card removes the need for EAD, and thus for further authorization from the DHS that he can work. He will then be a Legal permanent resident, and LPRs are free to work without any further documentation from DHS (beyond the green card itself).

Perhaps this link will help explain it to an employer:

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/fed_pro...er/ssnumber.htm (particularly the question 'Are there different types of cards?')

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

When an individual was previously issued an SSN card with “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT” or “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS (or DHS) AUTHORIZATION” printed on it and has been granted permanent residency, he or she can apply for a replacement SSN card that reflects the new immigration status.

An alien granted permanent residency status is eligible to be issued an unrestricted SSN card and will retain the originally assigned SSN.

An alien issued temporary authorization to work, i.e. I-766, will be issued an SSN card with “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION,” printed on the card.

An alien applying for a work-authorized replacement SSN card must present evidence to establish identity and employment authorization.

When requesting an SSN card, the documents presented, as evidence must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept uncertified or notarized photocopies as evidence.

The documents acceptable as evidence of identity are based on three factors: (1) the applicant’s age, (2) the applicant’s citizenship/alien status, and (3) the relative probative value of documents.

Primary Identity Evidence for an alien:

-- Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (includes temporary I-551

stamp/machine readable immigrant visa (MRIV) in combination with an

unexpired foreign passport when the I-551 Permanent Resident Card

has not yet been issued)

-- Form I-94, Arrival/departure Record in combination with an unexpired

foreign passport

-- Form I-766, Employment Authorization card

-- Form I-688B, Employment Authorization card

Note: Document must be unexpired

You can find detailed information regarding evidence of identity on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203200#E

Employment Authorization Documents (unexpired):

-- I-688B

-- I-766

-- I-94 (With visa status that allows work in the U.S.)

-- I-551 (Stamp or card)

-- Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) with temporary I-551 language

Documents that establish lawfully admitted for permanent residence (LAPR)

-- I-551 card

NOTE: Some LAPR aliens have conditional 2-year I-551s (Alien Registration Receipt Card), subject to the limitation that they must apply for removal of the conditional basis 90 days before the second anniversary of the admittance date to the United States. A conditional I-551 is identified by an expiration date 2 years later than the admittance/adjudication date is acceptable proof of permanent residency.

-- Temporary I-551

Temporary evidence of immigrant status is issued for an alien to use

until the permanent I-551 card is received. This may be a stamp in the individual's passport or on the I-94.

-- Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV) with temporary I-551 language

Note: The MRIV shows the alien's identification number (“A” number) as the “Registration Number” in the upper right-hand corner of the MRIV.

The MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport that shows the statement “UPON ENDORSEMENT SERVES AS TEMPORARY I-551 EVIDENCING PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR 1 YEAR and is endorsed with an admission stamp is the same as a valid Temporary I-551 stamp and is valid for one year from the date of endorsement by the admission stamp.

Example:

If the admission stamp shows a date of entry into the U.S. as January 4, 2004, the expiration of the temporary I-551 status will be January 3, 2005. The expiration date on the MRIV should not be used to determine when the temporary I-551 status expires. The expiration date on the MRIV only shows how long the MRIV is valid not how long the alien's temporary I-551 status is valid.

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

SSA cannot accept a filing receipt or notice of action as proof of permanent residency or work authorization.

Note: An alien applicant can use the same unexpired work authorization/LAPR document as proof of identity.

Take the required documents to the nearest Social Security office and you can obtain the address and directions to the nearest Social Security office from the Social Security Office Locator, which is available on the Internet at:

http://www.ssa.gov/locator

Note: People who live or receive mail in the Brooklyn, NY, Queens, NY, Phoenix, AZ or Las Vegas, NV area must apply in person at one of the Social Security Card Centers.

Card Center Information:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cf...hp?p_faqid=1412

Normally, an SSN card should be received in the mail within two weeks after the application and document(s) have been received and verified.

However, when an alien requests an SSN or replacement card, SSA must verify his or her documents/current status with the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security. If the initial online verification is not possible through the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) system, SSA may need to send a Form G-845 to the appropriate Bureau of the Department of Homeland Security for manual verification.

Since 01/06/2007 Social Security field offices can submit an additional electronic online verification, which in the majority of applications eliminates the need to send a Form G-845 along with copies of the applicant’s immigration documents.

However, some applications still require a copy of the immigration document(s) being verified to be sent at the request of the Department of Homeland Security along with the Form G-845 for manual verification.

All cards are mailed from Social Security Headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland to the postal address provided on the application.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I applied for my SSN using my EAD almost four weeks ago and nothing so far, I’ve already received my Green Card in the mail. Does anybody here think I should go back with my GC? When I applied for the SSN my AOS was already approved but didn’t have the stamp on my passport “They no longer do that” I assume they’ll know my permanent status when checking my file. Any ideas? :blink:

AOS Filed (06-25-07)

Biometrics (08-03-07)

Received EAD (09-20-07)

AOS Interview "Approved" (09-21-07)

Applied For SSN (09-24-07)

Received CGC (10-01-07)

Received SSC (10-29-07)

I-751 Mailed to VSC (08-21-09)

Check Cashed (09-01-09)

Received NOA1 (09-10-09) "Receipt Dated 08-31-09"

Biometrics (09-23-09)

I-751 Approved (12-11-09)

Received PGC (01-07-2010)

I applied for my SSN using my EAD almost four weeks ago and nothing so far, I’ve already received my Green Card in the mail. Does anybody here think I should go back with my GC? When I applied for the SSN my AOS was already approved but didn’t have the stamp on my passport “They no longer do that” I assume they’ll know my permanent status when checking my file. Any ideas? :blink:

I would do it for two reasons, one being if you applied with an EAD card and now have an I-551, the status response SSA gets back is probably going to say your a permanant resident and you provided an EAD card. The other being with the I-551 you will be issued an unrestricted SSN card.

Timeline
I would do it for two reasons, one being if you applied with an EAD card and now have an I-551, the status response SSA gets back is probably going to say your a permanant resident and you provided an EAD card. The other being with the I-551 you will be issued an unrestricted SSN card.

Thanks for your reply I Quit! I Just got back from SSA and turns out SSA mailed my restricted SSC on October 1st but for some reason as of yet didn’t receive it... Weird! :blink: SSA will now mail my unrestricted SSC in 2-4 weeks. Where’s my previous SSC, is SSA pulling my leg? Some people here waited 6 + weeks for their SSC, so there’s hope! If my SSC goes missing do I have to report it? I’m worried sick now. :unsure:

AOS Filed (06-25-07)

Biometrics (08-03-07)

Received EAD (09-20-07)

Received CGC (10-01-07)

Received SSC (10-29-07)

Check Cashed (09-01-09)

Biometrics (09-23-09)

Thanks for your reply I Quit! I Just got back from SSA and turns out SSA mailed my restricted SSC on October 1st but for some reason as of yet didn’t receive it... Weird! :blink: SSA will now mail my unrestricted SSC in 2-4 weeks. Where’s my previous SSC, is SSA pulling my leg? Some people here waited 6 + weeks for their SSC, so there’s hope! If my SSC goes missing do I have to report it? I’m worried sick now. :unsure:

Well I assume you were given your SSN and normally you would received your card within a few weeks after it was issued. It's out of SSA's hands once it goes into the mail. You positive they entered you correct mailing address on the application? The Post Office is supposed to send undeliverable SSN cards back to SSA so that they can be destroyed. It's only the 19th tomorrow, so it might still show up. I would have asked for an SSN Verification Printout, that would give you some proof of your SSN until you receive a card. If they told you 2 to 4 weeks on the replacement card I assume they couldn't verify your I-551 status through the initial SAVE query?

If you do have your SSN and want to be sure the card was issued on 10/01/2007, call the SSA 800# 800-772-1213 and ask what is the CYD date on your SSN record. If the replacement was issued they can tell you that was well.

Timeline
Well I assume you were given your SSN and normally you would received your card within a few weeks after it was issued. It's out of SSA's hands once it goes into the mail. You positive they entered you correct mailing address on the application? The Post Office is supposed to send undeliverable SSN cards back to SSA so that they can be destroyed. It's only the 19th tomorrow, so it might still show up. I would have asked for an SSN Verification Printout, that would give you some proof of your SSN until you receive a card. If they told you 2 to 4 weeks on the replacement card I assume they couldn't verify your I-551 status through the initial SAVE query?

If you do have your SSN and want to be sure the card was issued on 10/01/2007, call the SSA 800# 800-772-1213 and ask what is the CYD date on your SSN record. If the replacement was issued they can tell you that was well.

Again thanks for your reply I Quit! I was indeed assigned a SSN and did ask for the Printout, I also double checked my mailing address, it’s the correct one. Today’s the 19th and still nothing, I spoke to my mailman this morning and he said “I don’t remember…” I’m going to wait a while longer to see if it shows up, if it does not I’m gonna call SSA’s 800#... If anything I hope it was sent back.

AOS Filed (06-25-07)

Biometrics (08-03-07)

Received EAD (09-20-07)

Received CGC (10-01-07)

Received SSC (10-29-07)

Check Cashed (09-01-09)

Biometrics (09-23-09)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.