DJandUJ

Affidavit of Support worries

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I hope someone can offer some words of wisdom and set our minds at ease here.

My OH is worried about our affidavit of support. Sadly I do not qualify to sponsor her alone. I started a new business last year and am self-employed. It hasn't taken off as quickly as I thought it would.

We met in 2005 when she was visiting her friends in the US - friends who also know me. We happened to all be in the same place at the same time and well... from the start I was a goner over her. The rest is history.

I now live in a garage apartment at our friends' house, where she will live too when she arrives (hopefully very soon!). They are happy to help us any way they can. One of them has offered to sponsor her but my fiance is concerned the interviewers won't like this - her sponsor being at the same address where she and I will live. She's also concerned because it looks like most co-sponsors are family members or friends of the USC, NOT the foreign spouse.

But, she doesn't want to ask any of MY friends or family to take on this risk for her. Her friend knows her very well and knows my fiance won't take advantage of her.

These things never occurred to me as potential problems but now I'm worrying too.

I was so calm in the beginning but now I'm a nervous wreck and second-guessing everything. And now the stupid postal strike when we're waiting to get our date!

Timeline

Also posted this on the General discussion forum but wanted to make sure my UK buddies see it too!

I hope someone can offer some words of wisdom and set our minds at ease here.

My OH is worried about our affidavit of support. Sadly I do not qualify to sponsor her alone. I started a new business last year and am self-employed. It hasn't taken off as quickly as I thought it would.

We met in 2005 when she was visiting her friends in the US - friends who also know me. We happened to all be in the same place at the same time and well... from the start I was a goner over her. The rest is history.

I now live in a garage apartment at our friends' house, where she will live too when she arrives (hopefully very soon!). They are happy to help us any way they can. One of them has offered to sponsor her but my fiance is concerned the interviewers won't like this - her sponsor being at the same address where she and I will live. She's also concerned because it looks like most co-sponsors are family members or friends of the USC, NOT the foreign spouse.

But, she doesn't want to ask any of MY friends or family to take on this risk for her. Her friend knows her very well and knows my fiance won't take advantage of her.

These things never occurred to me as potential problems but now I'm worrying too.

I was so calm in the beginning but now I'm a nervous wreck and second-guessing everything. And now the stupid postal strike when we're waiting to get our date!

Any thoughts? Thanks!

DJ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

First of all, there's really no issue with the sponsor being at the same address. The only requirements for the co-sponsor is that they meet the poverty guidelines for the household size and that they are a permanent resident or USC. As long as your co-sponsor meets those criteria, you're fine.

Relax; it's easy to see problems where there aren't any!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
First of all, there's really no issue with the sponsor being at the same address. The only requirements for the co-sponsor is that they meet the poverty guidelines for the household size and that they are a permanent resident or USC. As long as your co-sponsor meets those criteria, you're fine.

Relax; it's easy to see problems where there aren't any!

Ditto

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
we lived with the person who sponsored neil and it was no problem at all

Thanks for the replies. It helps so much to set my mind at ease and I will make sure she reads this as well.

BTW, I called the state department on Monday 15 Oct and found out her interview is scheduled for 31 Oct at 8:30am. Yikes! It's sooner than we expected! She still hasn't received Packet 4 so we keep our fingers crossed it arrives soon. I wonder if the interviewers will be in costumes... or are they scary enough without them?!

Thanks again to all you wonderful people who share your information, opinions and experiences so generously.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.