ohmy

I-130 or K-3 Visa

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello to all the VJ folks.

I have a few questions and I am hoping that someone will have the right knowledge and can respond as soon as possible.

I am a Canadian Citizen and I met my love Jan 2006 and got married on December 14th, 2006. We now have a 6 month old USC son and we are UNFORTUNATELY apart because when I crossed into Canda and crossed back to the US after a few weeks, they denied me entry, until I file paperwork.

My questions are:

1-Do I apply for a K-3 Visa or I-130???

2-How ####### are the USCIS, NVC, or whomever else we come into contact with in regards to dates, including short overstays?

3-On the application, they ask my residency? However; after graduating school and before meeting my husband, I went across the US to travel, do I have to state all the places I stayed or could I consider my parents home my residency because all my belongings were there????

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME, I AM SURE LIKE EVERYONE, WE DONT WANT TO BE APART ANY LONGER.

Thanks in advance,

Signing off,

Dying inside

:help:

Edited by ohmy
3493.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Today there were a few posts that highlited why most considering the K-3 should consider it carfuly.

CR-1 (I-130)

Pro:

• Gets a green-card upon entry, no waiting 90 days or more for an EAD in order to work.
  • Less paperwork to file, no I-129F
  • Costs less, NO filing AOS to get green-card and paying $1010
Con:
  • Takes a little bit longer to process.

Example of someone wanting to work on the K-3

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=90617&hl=

Example of mishandling the I-129F for K-3

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=90611&hl=

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=90609&hl=

Lawyers LOVE recommending the K-3, they can charge more for the extra paperwork, and hope to get involved when the couple goes to adjust status later, more paperwork and fees, like $1010 now for AOS.

With the crazy increase of AOS to $1010 this past July, the K-3 is an expensive idea.

Use the timelines here on VJ and compare NVC received to Interview for K-3, and CR-1 to get an idea of the difference.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a few questions and I am hoping that someone will have the right knowledge and can respond as soon as possible.

I am a Canadian Citizen and I met my love Jan 2006 and got married on December 14th, 2006. We now have a 6 month old USC son and we are UNFORTUNATELY apart because when I crossed into Canda and crossed back to the US after a few weeks, they denied me entry, until I file paperwork.

My questions are:

2-How ####### are the USCIS, NVC, or whomever else we come into contact with in regards to dates, including short overstays?

3-On the application, they ask my residency? However; after graduating school and before meeting my husband, I went across the US to travel, do I have to state all the places I stayed or could I consider my parents home my residency because all my belongings were there????

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME, I AM SURE LIKE EVERYONE, WE DONT WANT TO BE APART ANY LONGER.

Thanks in advance,

Signing off,

Dying inside

if I remember correctly, you only need to include places that you have lived for over 6 months

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Poor girl :(

Have you been living in the US with your husband all this time without having filed any paperwork?

Supposedly, a CR1 (i-130) is "better" and a K3 (i-129f) is "faster." However, nobody has a clue as to how things will be in the future. Currently, K3s are going a lot quicker than CR1s.

I think it depends on how long you overstayed, if anyone cares about it or not.

Residency is where you lived, not visited. I am unsure if they asked for proof of residency... can't remember.

Good luck to you. Hopefully your husband can visit you and your baby often. I would have to guess that your name is flagged at the border and you'd have a hell of a time crossing to the States without your visa. :(

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What province do you currently live in? If in Manitoba or west you would interview for a K3 in Vancouver. If in Ontario and east, it would be Montreal (for a K3). Vancouver is months faster for interviews. Right now Montreal times for CR-1 and K3 are probably around the same -- it's a long wait.

If you're going for a CR-1 then you have no choice but to go through Montreal.

Be prepared for a bit of a wait whichever you decide though. USCIS is still pretty backed up with petitions. Good luck with whatever you decide.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Be prepared for a bit of a wait whichever you decide though. USCIS is still pretty backed up with petitions. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Good point, it's apparently taking forever at USCIS now, too. I will share what I have learned in this past year of hell. If I had to do it all over again, I would have applied for PR in Canada out-of-country (goes faster than if you live in Canada with your spouse), then once I got that, filed for DCF.

However, if I were the OP, I would have your hubby come to Canada and apply for PR within Canada since you have a baby. Spouses are allowed to live with their spouse while waiting for the Canadian PR process to go through. At the moment, it is your only choice if you want to be together right now. Missing out on a year of a child's life, waiting on the government.... not a great option. Babies grow so fast.

Good point, it's apparently taking forever at USCIS now, too. I will share what I have learned in this past year of hell. If I had to do it all over again, I would have applied for PR in Canada out-of-country (goes faster than if you live in Canada with your spouse), then once I got that, filed for DCF.

However, if I were the OP, I would have your hubby come to Canada and apply for PR within Canada since you have a baby. Spouses are allowed to live with their spouse while waiting for the Canadian PR process to go through. At the moment, it is your only choice if you want to be together right now. Missing out on a year of a child's life, waiting on the government.... not a great option. Babies grow so fast.

Completely agree with this....come to Canada.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

Thank you all for responding with great advice. Not sure how do reply properly so I will attempt to reply one at a time

YuandDan, totally agree with most lawyers intentions in filling out a number of forms and charging so much!

Edited by ohmy
3493.gif

Timeline

Thank you all for responding with great advice.

DJC- From the time I found out that I was having a baby, we decided for me to not go home (Canada) until after we have our son. My hubby will be coming in a week for the first time but due to his job, he can only stay for one week. I feel this will be a VERY VERY long, depressing process but in the end, it will be worth it!- I hope it doesn't take a year!

Edited by ohmy
3493.gif

Timeline

MarilynP on the G-325A, it does not give the number of months but I still overstayed by 3-4 months...wonder if that could cause friction on my paper work??? i have filled it out UMPTEENTH times and everytime i make a minor mistake i fill out a new one!!

3493.gif

Filed: Timeline

You overstayed and believe you are just going to flip a petition through the system?

My questions are:

Thanks in advance,

Signing off,

Dying inside

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.