trailmix

Canadians and Americans - do you celebrate Oct or Nov?

Canadian or American Thanksgiving?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Thanksgiving for Canadians in the U.S.

• We Celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving
    • When in Rome...we Celebrate American
    • We like Turkey so we do both
    • Neither - turkey smurkey
    • I'm not a Canadian in the U.S.
  2. 2. Thanksgiving for Americans in Canada

• We Celebrate U.S. Thanksgiving
    • When in Rome...we Celebrate Canadian
    • We like Turkey so we do both
    • Neither - but we do like to drink a lot
    • I'm not an American in Canada

52 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Mom said to me yesterday that as her Grandmother was an American (and her Grandmother raised her) they always celebrated American thanksgiving even though they lived in Canada. Just wondering what other people do?

Also, what are you up to for Thanksgiving this year?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mom said to me yesterday that as her Grandmother was an American (and her Grandmother raised her) they always celebrated American thanksgiving even though they lived in Canada. Just wondering what other people do?

Also, what are you up to for Thanksgiving this year?

We do both!!! Last year was the first time we were together for Canadian Thanksgiving, and I wanted hubby to feel at home, so I made all his favorite dishes. We actually went to Canada for American Thanksgiving, and his family made me a nice feast!!! We're doing the same thing this year too!!!

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

Filed: Timeline

Well, I'm not an American in Canada but I do like to drink a lot so that's what I answered. :P

I will be in Canada for Canadian Thanksgiving but my husband will not be with me due to work obligations. For American Thanksgiving we will be at his parents' house in NC.

Last Canadian Thanksgiving I was preparing to leave my family and friends, my home and my life. It was not a happy Thanksgiving. Two Canadian Thanksgivings ago I was here in the US visiting because a lot of my family had made other plans and were away that weekend. While my husband (then fiancé) was at work, I made a quasi-Thanksgiving dinner even though he did not realize it was our Thanksgiving. Anyway, because I was only cooking for 2 and not for 17, I just bought a small chicken. I could not find a turkey and that made me sad. Cooking it made me sad. Not being with family made me sadder. Sitting at the dinner table and having to tell him it was Canadian Thanksgiving made me saddest. I'm not going through that again. I'm going home.

Last American Thanksgiving we had a wonderful time with his family in NC. Then his cousin had a stroke a couple of hours later. One minute we were joking and laughing with Chris, the next we were praying for him. Chris is still recovering but he's doing well.

This year's going to be much better. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

One of the stipulations for me marrying Bee was that we had to celebrate both Thanksgivings each year. Kidding, but that's how much I love my turkey. :lol:

I'll most likely be celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving alone with my boxes of stuff, since most of my family is on vacation in Hong Kong for a few weeks. Chances of me getting a turkey is pretty slim, because I don't think I could tackle a 18-pound turkey by myself :blink:

Luckily Bee's parents, despite them being vegetarians, are understanding enough to allow the rest of us kids our bird and fixings. Mmm, mashed potatoes, real brown gravy, brussel sprouts, corn, cranberry sauce...

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We usually have turkey sammiches on Canadian Thanksgiving and do the full blown turkey dinner in November, but this year my husband's mom and dad will be here for Canadian Thanksgiving so we'll do TWO big dinners...yummmmmmmmmm yummmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We celebrate American Thanksgiving, even though I think it's too close to Christmas.

I prefer to celebrate in October (Canadian Thanksgiving), but we actually do celebrate American Thanksgiving with my husband's daughter and her boyfriend's family.

I miss my sons (in Canada)!!!!! :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I voted neither. It's really only a day off for me whether Canadian or American. Plus I'm not close to my family and I don't eat meat so... hooray for statutory holidays!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Both.... Oct in Toronto w/Mary's family .... Nov in Milwaukee w/my family

Our Time line:

Met online in 1999

Met in Toronto May 2006

Engaged April 2007 Niagara Falls

K-1 Sent August 10th 2007 (CSC)

K-1 Received August 13th 2007

NOA1 September 26th 2007

NOA2 January 25th 2008

NVC Received February 1st 2008

NVC Sent to MTL February 5th 2008

Packet 3 Received February 19th 2008

Checklist Delivered to MTL February 29th 2008

Medical Exam March 6th 2008

Interview in MTL May 16th 2008 (Approved)

Received Visa May 21st 2008

Move from Canada September 1st 2008

POE @ Pearson Toronto - September 12th 2008

Wedding October 11th 2008

AOS Sent October 17th 2008 (REJECTED OCT 21st)

AOS RE-Sent October 27th 2008

NOA's Received November 6th 2008

RFE (No W2's/1099's) November 12th 2008

Biometrics Appointment November 24th 2008

Case sent to CSC December 3rd 2008

Bunch of Touches in January

Card Production Ordered February 27th 2008

Baby Adam born October 11th 2010 (2 year anniversary)

I-171 NOA Received December 17th 2010

We celebrate the Nov thanksgiving will be at my mom's place my hubby luvs to do it in OCT but has no voters inhis list :lol:

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Both! I love turkey too much. Going home for Canadian thanksgiving and I will be here for American thanksgiving.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Other Timeline

We celebrate both, but it has nothing to do with the turkey, so I didn't answer the poll. My hubby doesn't eat bird of any sort.

We go out for Canadian Thanksgiving with another VJ Can/Am couple who lives close enough that we meet half way, Alie and her hubby Steve. We actually haven't seen them since last Canadian Thanksgiving, so it'll be nice to see them again. We live about an hour apart, so we meet in Hickory at a restaurant which is half way.

American Thanksgiving last year I went all out and made a huge dinner for James, his brother and niece and a friend who was staying with us at the time. Dunno if we'll do that again, probably just me and James and his brother. I'll get a small turkey breast for me and Randy, and a small roast beast for James.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Both! Because we're both Canadian, and hopefully someday both American too, and because when you're separated, any and all long weekends for at least one of us is always a welcome chance to see each other. I like big family dinners when there is time and not other distractions from being able to participate.

Neither, in that any time we have available we now spend together, rather with any of the many sets of families produced from multiple marriages in different places... the pressure! Esp. the Canadian side -- there families who don't seem to be as used to having family members all over the continent or on more than one continent either... also, never been that keen on turkey though you have to have something bland to go with all always outweighed by all the yummy sweet potatoes or parnips, mashed potatoes, green beans, pumkins and pecans.

As for preference, probably American thanksgiving: extra day off, strong feeling of national history (even if bogus) and sharedness regardless of creed, college football something to do beside just eat and talk = good.

Canadian thanksgiving: not as much national feeling to it, way too early, makes you depressed about winter coming too early, it's before Halloween, you see Xmas decorations up too early as a result = weird. Can you tell I'm American first?

C&C

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since I am down here now I'll be celebrating in November.

It only sucks because I have to wait a whole other month just to have turkey.

mm I love turkey.

Donne moi une poptart!

Both if I don't have to work them. It's nice having two chances at it, if I do have to work one. It's even bettter if I get to work the Canadian one (a Stat holiday) cha ching $$$ and then I can still do the American one and get my turkey fix. I love turkey and all the trimmings! mmmhhh.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.