pnrmbr975

You or your spouse's fiirst job in the US

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hey, feather, good luck with the job. I hope your customers tip at least 20% every time... :D

I am starting to think that I should get off my bum and look for work. I am keeping my eyes open but I am fairly limited here in Greencastle. Small town, small jobs, paying no where near what I was making in the UK... :(

Thanks, Mags... and yeah, 20% sounds good to me! Right now I'm just grumpy that I'm going to be working (training) all bloody weekend so won't get to hang out with my boy AND won't even be getting any tips, what with only being trained and all. Bah.

Hope you can find something you like the look of (and get them to give you the job, obviously!), I have to say I'm (mostly) looking forward to starting work again after having nearly five months of sitting on my ####### doing, um, nothing.

You have a FAR better chance of getting 20% in a big city like Cincy than in my little town where the average tip is approximately $2...

Anyhoo, no one has said it yet so.....the drinks are on feather! :dance:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm my very first job when I migrated in US is rolling hot dogs on the grill, replacing french fry shortening, wrapping chili dogs @ weinershnitzel fastfood restaurant and working as a carwash boy on weekend making $4.25 per hour. I was 17 then .. still in High school........eventhough I graduated high school in phil. Now I work as technician/administrator ...here in silicon valley..I'll still wanna go back to school...if I had a chance (changing career). Now my priority is to bring my wife and son here..since my wife work as a Nurse for 3 years......trying to encourage my wife to review NCLEX and take exam. so she will find a job what she loves.....and not to go through experienced that I have....

Hey, feather, good luck with the job. I hope your customers tip at least 20% every time... :D

I am starting to think that I should get off my bum and look for work. I am keeping my eyes open but I am fairly limited here in Greencastle. Small town, small jobs, paying no where near what I was making in the UK... :(

Thanks, Mags... and yeah, 20% sounds good to me! Right now I'm just grumpy that I'm going to be working (training) all bloody weekend so won't get to hang out with my boy AND won't even be getting any tips, what with only being trained and all. Bah.

Hope you can find something you like the look of (and get them to give you the job, obviously!), I have to say I'm (mostly) looking forward to starting work again after having nearly five months of sitting on my ####### doing, um, nothing.

You have a FAR better chance of getting 20% in a big city like Cincy than in my little town where the average tip is approximately $2...

Haha - they probably will be... I'm a clumsy cow like that, y'know! :lol:

But yeah... gin & tonics all round! :thumbs:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Filed: Timeline

If it's that bar behind you, on 3rd, I know the owner's GF! ;)

If it's that bar behind you, on 3rd, I know the owner's GF! ;)

What, that sports bar place? Nope, not that one... we only spotted that place on the way to the airport to get my mum the other week, had no idea it was there before. Was thinking we should check it out! But anyway, my new place of employment is over the river in Newport - the Irish(ish) one... looks like they get pretty busy, which can only be a good thing! :thumbs:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Filed: Timeline
What, that sports bar place? Nope, not that one... we only spotted that place on the way to the airport to get my mum the other week, had no idea it was there before. Was thinking we should check it out! But anyway, my new place of employment is over the river in Newport - the Irish(ish) one... looks like they get pretty busy, which can only be a good thing! :thumbs:

Ah! Gotcha. Maybe I'll come visit at Xmas!

That sports bar is great. Divey but fun. Just don't go when it's gameday.

Ah! Gotcha. Maybe I'll come visit at Xmas!

Yay!! Sounds like a plan to me. :D

That sports bar is great. Divey but fun. Just don't go when it's gameday.

'Divey but fun' is my kind of bar... will definitely have to wander down there soon. Can't believe it took me 4 months (and C. 8 months) to realise it's right there behind us. Duh! :blush: Will make a change from the constant Tina's/Plum Street Cafe rotation when we're after a quick drink of an evening...

Oops, serious thread derailment! (But how are you, anyway, D...?)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Software engineer. They gave me about 40% more that I earned at a university in Ireland. And cost of living seems to be lower here :)

Edited by brtlmj

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Data Administrator. Started as a temp and got hired 8 mths later. Manager pulled me aside two months ago to tell me she's really happy with how I have been working and pulling my weight around here. I am on track for a promotion and raise during our performance evaluation at the end of the year.

I NEVER thought I'd enjoy a career in numbers, but here I am thoroughly convinced I am in the right place. And for the first time in my life, I actually care about the success of the company I am working for. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Data Administrator. Started as a temp and got hired 8 mths later. Manager pulled me aside two months ago to tell me she's really happy with how I have been working and pulling my weight around here. I am on track for a promotion and raise during our performance evaluation at the end of the year.

I NEVER thought I'd enjoy a career in numbers, but here I am thoroughly convinced I am in the right place. And for the first time in my life, I actually care about the success of the company I am working for. :thumbs:

So you committed without benefits for your first 8 months, my wife can also do this since she's covered by my insurance. It is imperative that the new immigrant be added to the spouse's insurance policy/plan so she/he can have the flexibility of career choices.

I'm glad to know you're part of an organization (of people & system) that you actually enjoy working with. Isn't it extra nice to be working for a company that has a good set of initiatives that also mirrors your own goals in life in general? That way you can live in a manner that's consistent with your values, and earn a great income at the same time.

So thanks & congrats with that wonderful experience, my wife and I are happy to read about it.

Edited by pnrmbr975

Timeline
Update:

My wife didn't get a call today. Oh well...........It's hard to say "maybe tomorrow". I don't want to set her up for a disappointment.

I did tell her "Maybe tomorrow."

:( Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, it's the employer's market right now - job search can take a long time... She should keep trying.

Thank you for the encouragement. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline
So you committed without benefits for your first 8 months, my wife can also do this since she's covered by my insurance. It is imperative that the new immigrant be added to the spouse's insurance policy/plan so she/he can have the flexibility of career choices.

I'm glad to know you're part of an organization (of people & system) that you actually enjoy working with. Isn't it extra nice to be working for a company that has a good set of initiatives that also mirrors your own goals in life in general? That way you can live in a manner that's consistent with your values, and earn a great income at the same time.

So thanks & congrats with that wonderful experience, my wife and I are happy to read about it.

I was not on my husband's insurance when I started working. Because of his health problems at that time, we decided not to 'muddy the waters' where his insurance was concerned. I chose to buy my own short-term insurance from Anthem through the temp agency that gave me the job assignment. We're still not on each other's health insurance at this point in time because of the hike in premiums we'd have to fork out. We are on our own individual insurance plans with the companies we work for coz it's cheaper to do so. He's the beneficiary of my life insurance policy, though. :P

Thank you for the kind words on my job. It IS very nice to work for a company that actually values the work I do. It's great to wake up every morning to go to a job that is positive. Granted, the environment here is not perfect (we could do with a smarter and less gossipy sales team), and sometimes there is a lot of pressure because my job is time-sensitive. But I have very little to complain about. I still wonder some days if this bubble is gonna burst. lol.

Timeline

As I was enjoying my second cup of coffee I heard from my wife. So she did get the job. YAY! I, the husband, is her fan. It's her first job interview too in the US so you can imagine how ecstatic (I went ballistic with her during the call, while at work) we are right now. They are willing to give her a rate far more than what she initially bargained for.

I hope she'll still have time for me and this thread to share her experiences with us. Why not? ;)

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Woohoo! congratulations!

===========================

2008-08-16 Sent N-400

2008-08-18 Application Received

2008-08-19 Check Cashed

2008-09-18 Biometrics

2008-12-09 Interview

2009-01-XX Oath (Yay! I'm a citizen)

==========================

07/19 - NOA2 approval

08/20 - Case received at NVC

08/23 - emailed DS-3022

08/25 - mailed AOS

08/27 - received AOS

08/31 - AOS Accepted

09/04 - Received confirmation of DS-3022

09/05 - Received IV invoice

09/05 - Pay IV bill

09/06 - IV showed as paid

09/06 - Send DS-230 packet

09/10 - Received DS-230 packet by NVC

09/17 - DS-230 Accepted/Case Complete

09/28 - Transfer to Manila Embassy

10/02 - Medical Exam at St. Luke's

10/08- 10/10 - Sputum Test

10/09 - Received by Manila Embassy

10/12 - Result of Sputum Test (Need to repeat)

10/16-10/18 - Repeat Sputum Test (Negative)

12/13 - Sputum Final Result (Negative)

12/21 - Interview at Embassy (Approved)

12/28 - Visa Picked Up from 2GO

12/28 - CFO

12/30 - POE (LAX)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.