Nancy2015

B-2 visa for parents

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
The question was whether it is possible to enter the States with a passport and green card which have different names and I said yes, take a copy of your marriage certificate to show to the immigration officer at POE. I did it twice. Nobody was talking about using it in Russia.

You didn't understand the question.

Agreed. I was referring to entering Russia.

As for entering the US I can assure you that as long as your green card matches your photo and biometric information it will pass with almost any name on it. As for the passport they simply place a stamp in it. It has little or no value when entering the US as a green card holder. So I believe even if you didn't have the marriage certificate upon entering the US, you'd be just fine. As mentioned before, much different story in Russia, which has been a topic of much discussion here in the Russian forum, with one member being unable to leave Russia. See Below:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...34&hl=leave

You know, I don't get it - why do Russian officials at the border care where I'm going to, and if I can legally enter a country I'm going to? I think it's my own business - I can travel wherever I please, and if I run into any trouble at any POE in the world, it's my problem, not some stupid Russian immigration official's.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline
You know, I don't get it - why do Russian officials at the border care where I'm going to, and if I can legally enter a country I'm going to? I think it's my own business - I can travel wherever I please, and if I run into any trouble at any POE in the world, it's my problem, not some stupid Russian immigration official's.
It I think it is a remnant from the Old Soviet system, just like the propiska (registration) system. But, Israel also has exit passport control. But Russia has to be the only country besides maybe some Middle Eastern nations like Iran or Saudi Arabia that won't let its citizens out if something is wrong with their documents. But if anyone else has some insight, I'd love to know.

As for the legally enter part, the airlines care, because they face a huge fine, something like $10k plus they have to fly you back at their own expense ASAP. So they want to make sure no errors occur in that area.

Edited by Satellite

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have a question that is actually related to the k-1 and leaving Russia with it, hope no one minds me posting it in this thread. Sergei's passport expires in September 08, and he is planning to fly to the US at the end of January, so that means the passport will be valid less than a year. Could this be a problem? Should he get his new passport before he leaves? I know they give back the old passport with all valid visas...Any thoughts on this? Thanks very much!

-Milena

Участник Русского Форума

03/2003: Met Online

12/2003: I went to Moscow as an exchange student, we met in person.

20/09/2006: Sergey proposes to me!

21/02/2007: I-129F Package mailed from Wroclaw, Poland to California Service Center

28/02/2007: NOA1 issued

22/5/2007:Approved!!!!!!!!!

04/06/2007:NVC received case

11/06/2007:Left NVC for Moscow

23/08/2007: INTERVIEW, APPROVED :)

Timeline

I think the passport only needs to be valid for just 6 months. However, getting a new one will save you money by not having to update the passport here in the US. I think its something like $150 to do it in the US and only several hundred roubles in Russia. And yes you can enter with a good visa in one passport and a new passport.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

My mother-in-law (works newspaper), sister-in-law (works newspaper) and two niece-in-law (age 8 and 7) just visited for a month. Getting their visas was much easier than expected, not sure if it's an "easing" of the restrictions or just luck of the draw. Very long trip from Siberia to the Virgin Islands, not sure why they wanted to come in the summer rather than winter, lol. :wacko:

My wife just had her passport "adjusted" by the Russian embassy to where it added "this person is also known as.... (married name). I had read several horror stories of people not permitted to leave Russia with different names on documents.

Much easier and cheaper to get your Russian passport renewed before you leave Russia if time permits.

K1

07-18-05 NOA1

08-06-05 NOA2

11-02-05 Petition arrives NVC, lost 85 Days after NOA2!

02-15-06 Interview Moscow (Visa approved)

02-20-06 Visa received

02-27-06 Arrives USA - POE Dallas

AOS

04-03-06 NOA1

04-17-06 Biometrics

07-20-06 Success!

LIFE

03-04-06 Married!

02-07-07 Our daughter is born!

08-01-07 Inlaws visit for 26 days.

06-03-09 Our Son is born!

09-20-09 Mother in-law for 2.5 months.

Remove Conditions

05-13-08 NOA1

06-12-08 Biometrics

04-08-09 Success!

Naturalization

04-23-09 Mailed N400

04-29-09 NOA1

05-20-09 Biometrics

07-22-09 Interview Success!

09-23-09 Oath

Timeline

Yes, my wife had to renew her Russian passport here and had the "also known as (married name)" notation added to her passport at the same time. Took the embassy almost 6 months to do it at a cost of over $150.

When she was leaving this past Wednesday to fly to Russia they questioned her about maiden name in the passport vs the married name on the ticket. At first they wanted to see her marriage certificate (which she was carrying, also with a Russian translation and apostile) but when she told them about the stamp with her married name in the passport they looked at that and were happy and did not need to see the marriage document.

Interesting... I talked to her last night and she is a little sad. She says she never realized what a dusty, dirty, ugly place she had lived in for so many years until she returned after living here in the US. I tried to remind her that where we live in Florida is a bit of an exception and not representative of "middle America". Never the less she is homesick for the US now.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

But, Israel also has exit passport control. But Russia has to be the only country besides maybe some Middle Eastern nations like Iran or Saudi Arabia that won't let its citizens out if something is wrong with their documents. But if anyone else has some insight, I'd love to know.

South Korea has a system where you have to pay an "exit fee" prior to departure. I'm unsure if it's connected to an approval system or not. I know they check ID and travel documents prior to issuing the stamp. (They do a courtesy check on all U.S. military personnel to ensure they're on approved leave or transit orders prior to their departure as well. Can't sneak out without a pass!)

Most of the Middle Eastern countries I've visited do a customs and security check then check travel documents but don't stress too much about foreigners transiting through or out of their country. They do seem to be a little more intense on their own citizens.

Interesting... I talked to her last night and she is a little sad. She says she never realized what a dusty, dirty, ugly place she had lived in for so many years until she returned after living here in the US. I tried to remind her that where we live in Florida is a bit of an exception and not representative of "middle America". Never the less she is homesick for the US now.

You're spot-on, Neonred. My wife describes Cincinnati the way your wife describes her home town. I told her "middle America" is only an exception, and not representative of the nice places in the U.S. like Florida. Never the less, she can't wait to get back to a coastal community.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.