Nancy2015

B-2 visa for parents

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My parents went to the U.S. Embassy in Moscow yesterday and got their B-2 visas. They weren't interviewed, cause their old visas expired three months ago, and the Embassy in Moscow doesn't interview people who reapply for the same kind of visa within a year of expiration. They only had to get fingerprinted, and pay some additonal cash for a 2-year multiple entry B-2.

They should be visiting us around Thanksgiving for two weeks.

Just sharing the good news :)

Nancy

Edited by Sid and Nancy

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

That is cool!

How hard was it for them to get the original visas? (and when did they get them?)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
That is cool!

How hard was it for them to get the original visas? (and when did they get them?)

They got the original visas last year in June, I believe. It was super easy. I didn't do anything on my part - I just sent them an informal email in Russian, telling them that I can't visit them, so I would like for them to come here. That was it. When they had an interview, the Consul only asked them three questions - who they were going to visit, where they were staying and where my dad worked. That was pretty much it.

Filed AOS from F-1

Does your dad have a super-good job, or a "normal" Russian job?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

My dad's an executive for a big company.

Filed AOS from F-1

No surprise there.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
They got the original visas last year in June, I believe. It was super easy. I didn't do anything on my part - I just sent them an informal email in Russian, telling them that I can't visit them, so I would like for them to come here. That was it. When they had an interview, the Consul only asked them three questions - who they were going to visit, where they were staying and where my dad worked. That was pretty much it.
No surprise there.
See my addition, it helps bring out the punch line. :)

I never here on here, that someone from Russia who has an unstable average earning Russian job get it that easy if at all.

Timeline

Well, that's not true.

My mom is a scientist and she works for Russian Academy of Science. She doesn't make any money. She got her visa a couple of weeks ago with no problem. It was her first visa ever, she has never been abroad.

Edited by Lyuba

Drew (St. Louis, MO) + Lyuba (Moscow, Russia)

December 1, 2003 - met and fell in love in Moscow, Russia

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

September 14, 2004 - NOA2

December 2, 2004 - Interview

December 24, 2004 - Arrival to the USA

January 14, 2005 - Wedding

AOS

January 25, 2005 - applied for AOS, EAD and AP in person

June 29, 2005 - AOS interview

August 8, 2005 - Green card arrived

Lifting of conditions

April 17, 2007 - NOA1 (extension letter)

April 2, 2008 - case transferred to CSC

May 8, 2008 - 10 year Green card arrived

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

November 19, 2008 - Interview

January 9, 2009 - Oath

January 17, 2009 - applied for US passport

January 26, 2009 - US passport arrived

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

So what visa do the parents have to apply for? I have a conditional green card - I know I cannot file for them yet so what visa do they need to come here?

One more thing: has anyone changed their name on the green card and was able to enter the US with the new card and a passport with the old name? do these two documents have to have the same name?

Thanks a bunch!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.", Albert Einstein

catsworlda1.gif cathaira1.gif

CIS Office : Miami FL

Date Filed : 2007-03-30

NOA Date : 2007-04-05

Bio. Appt. : 2007-05-04

Interview Date : 2007-08-20

Approval Date : 2007-08-20

Got I551 Stamp : Yes

Greencard Received: 2007-08-31

THAT'S ALL FOR NOW :)

My mom is a scientist and she works for Russian Academy of Science. She doesn't make any money.

Scientists at public institutions in the U.S. don't make a lot of money either.

Русский форум член.

Timeline
My mom is a scientist and she works for Russian Academy of Science. She doesn't make any money.

Scientists at public institutions in the U.S. don't make a lot of money either.

So it proves the point that you don't need to be an executive to get a visa to America.

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

AOS

Lifting of conditions

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

January 9, 2009 - Oath

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Timeline
So what visa do the parents have to apply for? I have a conditional green card - I know I cannot file for them yet so what visa do they need to come here?

One more thing: has anyone changed their name on the green card and was able to enter the US with the new card and a passport with the old name? do these two documents have to have the same name?

Thanks a bunch!

They can apply for a tourist visa.

Yes, you can enter the US with different names on your green card and passport as long as you take a copy of your marriage certificate which shows change of name with you.

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

AOS

Lifting of conditions

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

January 9, 2009 - Oath

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Timeline
I never here on here, that someone from Russia who has an unstable average earning Russian job get it that easy if at all.
My mom is a scientist and she works for Russian Academy of Science.
Do you feel being a scientist with an official government job to be equivalent to the average Russian laborer? Who has no official job and gets paid cash on the side.

So what visa do the parents have to apply for?
B2 - tourist / visitor

Yes, no. My wife did it successfully two times.

as long as you take a copy of your marriage certificate which shows change of name with you.
Most US documents including marriage certificate are worthless in Russia unless they are translated, appostiled, and certified by a Russian consulate abroad. A better approach is getting an official amendment to the Russian international passport at a Russian consulate which will state this bearer also go by this (greencard) name.

Timeline
My mom is a scientist and she works for Russian Academy of Science.
Do you feel being a scientist with an official government job to be equivalent to the average Russian laborer? Who has no official job and gets paid cash on the side.

So what visa do the parents have to apply for?
B2 - tourist / visitor

Yes, no. My wife did it successfully two times.

as long as you take a copy of your marriage certificate which shows change of name with you.
Most US documents including marriage certificate are worthless in Russia unless they are translated, appostiled, and certified by a Russian consulate abroad. A better approach is getting an official amendment to the Russian international passport at a Russian consulate which will state this bearer also go by this (greencard) name.

The question was whether it is possible to enter the States with a passport and green card which have different names and I said yes, take a copy of your marriage certificate to show to the immigration officer at POE. I did it twice. Nobody was talking about using it in Russia.

You didn't understand the question.

K-1

June 24, 2004 - NOA1

AOS

Lifting of conditions

Naturalization

July 24, 2008 - NOA1

January 9, 2009 - Oath

DONE WITH IMMIGRATION

Timeline
The question was whether it is possible to enter the States with a passport and green card which have different names and I said yes, take a copy of your marriage certificate to show to the immigration officer at POE. I did it twice. Nobody was talking about using it in Russia.

You didn't understand the question.

Agreed. I was referring to entering Russia.

As for entering the US I can assure you that as long as your green card matches your photo and biometric information it will pass with almost any name on it. As for the passport they simply place a stamp in it. It has little or no value when entering the US as a green card holder. So I believe even if you didn't have the marriage certificate upon entering the US, you'd be just fine. As mentioned before, much different story in Russia, which has been a topic of much discussion here in the Russian forum, with one member being unable to leave Russia. See Below:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...34&hl=leave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.