DakotaK1

SSN Number

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi

I just got my K1 Visa today,was wondering if anybody can help me on this:

I am wanting to fly through JFK so that I can get the work stamp.

Can somebody tell me how I could possibly work if I get that stamp without an SSN Number???

I am confused would be thankful for any help

Hi, congratulations on your K1!! You need SSN To be able to work even though you got the temp EAD at JFK airport. I came through JFK airport end of april and got the temp EAD stamp. Fortunately, i got myself a part time job with that temp EAD before it expired. Here are the sequence of events i have gone through so far:

a. entry to US via JFK airport. Temp EAD stamped on passport

b. Applied for SSN after 2 weeks with maiden name

c. Received SSN card after 1 week of application

d. Found temp job

e. Got married and change name

f. Change name at SSN and receive new card with changed name after 1 week of application

g. file and AOS, EAD and AP

Hope it helps and best of lucks!

K1 Visa:

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Singapore

2006-09-25 - I-129F Sent

I-129F NOA1 : never got the hardcopy

2006-10-16 - I-129F NOA2 (*received hard copy on 2007-01-06 by snail mail)

2006-10-20 - NVC Received

2006-10-26 - NVC Left

2006-10-30 - Consulate Received

2006-11-01 - Packet 3 Received

2006-12-06 - Packet 3 Sent

2006-12-12 - Packet 4 Received

2006-12-26 - Interview Date

2007-01-02 - Visa Received

2007-04-27 - Enter US

AOS:

2007-07-06 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

2007-07-21 - NOA1: AOS/EAD/AP

2007-08-08 - Biometrics Appt AOS/EAD

2007-08-10 - RFE Received

2007-08-13 - RFE Sent

2007-08-17 - Able to Track AOS Online (response RFE Received, case processing resumed)

2007-08-20 - AOS Touch

2007-09-13 - EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-09-13 - AP Approved

2007-09-21 - AP Received in mail

2007-09-24 - EAD Card received in mail

2007-09-28 - started work

2007-10-16 - Case transferred to California for processing

2007-11-01 - AOS Card production ordered

2007-11-06 - Green Card in hand & AOS Aproval letter received --"Welcome Letter"

LIFTING CONDITIONS:

2009-09-12 - I-751 Removal of conditions filed

2010-01-08 - Approved for Permanent Green Card

You will probably not even need to wait two weeks to apply for your Social Security card. Just make sure that when you go to get your card your name is already in their system (all you have to do is ask), if it is not, then wait and come back another day. Because if it isn't in their computer yet, they need to send off for your immigration status and it will take too long. JFK got my fiancee's information in the system right away. Congragulations on K-1!!! Very exciting times for you!

May 8, 2006 - sent 129F

May 9, 2006 - USCIS rec'd 129F

May 19, 2006 - NOA1 rec'd in mail

June 29, 2006 - Received & sent IMBRA RFE

June 30, 2006 - RFE delivered at CSC at 7:46am signed by J Arnett

July 24, 2006 - NOA2 Approved!!!!!!!

July 28, 2006 - Petition received at NVC

August 1, 2006 - Petition leaves NVC

August 15, 2006 - sent packet 3

August 21, 2006 - Medical

August 30, 2006 - Rec'd packet 4

October 2, 2006 - INTERVIEW!!! APPROVED!!!

October 4, 2006 - Visa in hand!!!

October 7, 2006 - POE at JFK and got EAD stamp!

October 21, 2006 - Received Social Security card

October 28, 2006 - Married!!!!!!

AOS/EAD

November 10, 2006 - Sent off AOS/EAD

November 16, 2006 - NOA1 for AOS and EAD

December 2, 2006 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD

January 23, 2007 - Without any touches, we get letter for interview in March

January 26, 2007 - EAD card production ordered

January 29, 2007 - EAD touch - Approval Notice Sent

February 1, 2007 -received EAD card

February 8, 2007 - AOS touch

March 6, 2007 - AOS Interview - approved pending FBI checks

May 25, 2007 & May 29, 2007 - AOS touch- yay! it's been awhile

May 30, 2007 - email notice Welcoming New Permanent Resident

June 6, 2007 - Greencard in hand

REMOVING CONDITIONS

March 15, 2009 - Sent off I-751

April 10, 2009 - Biometrics

May 18, 2009 - APPROVAL LETTER RECEIVED!!! Without any online updates

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can get a job with the stamp, many employers will employ without the SSN, with the understanding that you will provide the SSN as soon as you get one. EAD not SSN authorizes work.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
You will probably not even need to wait two weeks to apply for your Social Security card. Just make sure that when you go to get your card your name is already in their system (all you have to do is ask), if it is not, then wait and come back another day. Because if it isn't in their computer yet, they need to send off for your immigration status and it will take too long. JFK got my fiancee's information in the system right away. Congragulations on K-1!!! Very exciting times for you!

Thanks for the congratiolations

Okay I need to call JFK before I fly there huh?

I did not quite understand who I should call I am guessing the SSN people????

You can get a job with the stamp, many employers will employ without the SSN, with the understanding that you will provide the SSN as soon as you get one. EAD not SSN authorizes work.

That would be great if I could find somebody to hire me without it to start off,cos the EAD stamp is only valid for 3 months and until I would get the SSN number those 3 months would almost be over.

Great that is alot of help.

So does it actually make sence to apply for the SSN now?? Cos I dont know if I will get the work stamp for sure at JFK yet.

You can't apply for the SSN now. Wait two weeks after you arrive in the US (if you go sooner than that, they will almost certainly not be able to verify your information in the system, which will mean it will have to be done manually... and you will end up waiting 6 weeks or more for your SSN), then go to your local SSA office with your passport, visa & I-94 (and marriage certificate if you've got married by that time and want to change your name), and you should be able to apply for your SSN without any problems. I had my card in the mail about 5 days after I applied. Good luck. :)

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

passport, visa & I-94

I am sorry but the I-94 is that the actual K1 Visa I have in my passport? *confused*

No, the I-94 is the little white card that you fill in on the plane on the way over... when you go through immigration at the POE, the immigration officer stamps it, tears off the bottom portion and (usually) staples it into your passport. You'll need to send copies of it with your AOS application (and will need to show it when applying for your SSN, if you get a driving licence, etc), so make sure you don't lose it!

Edited by featherB

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Timeline
No, the I-94 is the little white card that you fill in on the plane on the way over... when you go through immigration at the POE, the immigration officer stamps it, tears off the bottom portion and (usually) staples it into your passport. You'll need to send copies of it with your AOS application (and will need to show it when applying for your SSN, if you get a driving licence, etc), so make sure you don't lose it!

Thats kinda odd,I have never filled in that form before.

When I used to go an visit my fiance I had a greenish form to fill in which was the Visa Waiver programm thingy I think thats the I94W but I wont be filling that in this time due to me having my K1 Visa.

The other white thing I filled in was the customs form, but I cant remeber them tearing anything off.

Is this another card you are talking about that you only get when you have your K1 Visa?!?!?!?!?!

When I used to go an visit my fiance I had a greenish form to fill in which was the Visa Waiver programm thingy I think thats the I94W but I wont be filling that in this time due to me having my K1 Visa.

The other white thing I filled in was the customs form, but I cant remeber them tearing anything off.

Is this another card you are talking about that you only get when you have your K1 Visa?!?!?!?!?!

Hey, i read in the USCIS web page that they were not going to allow any more EAD for visas since Aug 17th. It is people going through JFK getting that stam? I read one post recently that someone did not get it!

K1 process

20-11-06 We sent our petition I129F

28-12-06 NOA1

14-02-07 NOA2

17-03-07 Packet 4 arrived

29-05-07 Successful interview. (We waited that long because my fiance travels a lot)

AOS

15-07-07 Wedding

14-08-07 Interview in OK City, AOS, EAD and AP

15-09-07 NOA for EAD and AP.(sep 13)and on 20-09-07 NOA for AOS. (sep 13)

13-10-07 AP received

17-10-07 Biometrics.

29-10-07 EAD received

28-11-07 Card production ordered

11-12-07 Green Card on hand.

Removing conditions

4-09-09 Send papers to VSC

8-09-09 Confirmation via FedEx (Same as NOA)

07-10-09 Biometrics appointment

20-10-09 Second biometric (29 was the date)

24-12-09 Approved green card

19-01-10 Green card on hand

Citizenship

09-29-10 Send papers to Dallas lockbox

01-18-2011 Interview

04-13-2011 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Dakota1,

congrats on your K1 visa :thumbs: how was our interview in Frankfurt?

Of course you have never filled out the white I-94 form before because when you visited your fiance in the past you came as a tourist, not on a K1 visa. Tourists fill out the green form, you, as an intending immigrant will fill out the white form when you fly to the US this time. And as said above, it is very important for you to keep that I-94 because you will need it for the AOS application after marriage.

About SSN:

You cannot apply for one while you are still in Germany. You have to do that once you are in the US. And no matter if you do get the stamp with the temporary work permit at JFK or not - I would recommend that you go to the Social Security Office to apply for a SSN about 2 weeks after your arrival in the US. Mine took only 8 days to be issued, so you will for sure not have to wait almost 3 months to get one, only about 3 weeks.

A friend of mine applied for SSN and started working without actually having it, but she had a letter from the Social Security Office stating that she applied and would be issued a number as soon as they updated their system. So it was no problem for her employer to give her the job and as soon as she had the number she provided him with it and things were fine.

Hope that helps you out.

View my Timeline

R.I.P. Diana

1982 - 2008

Timeline
Hi Dakota1,

congrats on your K1 visa how was our interview in Frankfurt?

Of course you have never filled out the white I-94 form before because when you visited your fiance in the past you came as a tourist, not on a K1 visa. Tourists fill out the green form, you, as an intending immigrant will fill out the white form when you fly to the US this time. And as said above, it is very important for you to keep that I-94 because you will need it for the AOS application after marriage.

About SSN:

You cannot apply for one while you are still in Germany. You have to do that once you are in the US. And no matter if you do get the stamp with the temporary work permit at JFK or not - I would recommend that you go to the Social Security Office to apply for a SSN about 2 weeks after your arrival in the US. Mine took only 8 days to be issued, so you will for sure not have to wait almost 3 months to get one, only about 3 weeks.

A friend of mine applied for SSN and started working without actually having it, but she had a letter from the Social Security Office stating that she applied and would be issued a number as soon as they updated their system. So it was no problem for her employer to give her the job and as soon as she had the number she provided him with it and things were fine.

Hope that helps you out.

Wow thank you sooooo much that helped me out a bunch.

Yes the interview in Frankfurt was not bad at all, all I got asked was "how long have you guys known eachother" and "Where did you guys meet". That was it :D

Okay well I will apply for one after 2 weeks of arrival, if I would get the Stamp it would still be great though.

Yeah, I used to fill in the green form, too... that's the I-94W for people coming on the VWP. But when you enter on your K1, you won't be using the VWP (obviously) so you'll fill in the I-94 instead - anyone entering on a visa of any type will be filling one of those in - you'll most likely be given the form on the plane, and they might try to give you the green form (in the incorrect assumption you're using the VWP)... make sure you get the white one!

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2009 - Conditions lifted

Timeline
Yeah, I used to fill in the green form, too... that's the I-94W for people coming on the VWP. But when you enter on your K1, you won't be using the VWP (obviously) so you'll fill in the I-94 instead - anyone entering on a visa of any type will be filling one of those in - you'll most likely be given the form on the plane, and they might try to give you the green form (in the incorrect assumption you're using the VWP)... make sure you get the white one!

Okay great thank you very much

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.