-almonds

MMMMM-------------------------TO GARNISH------------------------------

Mint sprig

Heat half the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the rice and

saute for 5 minutes, stirring gently. Add the saffron, if using, the

apricots, spices, 1 teaspoon salt and the water. Bring to a boil,

then cover tightly and leave to cook over very gentle heat for 45

minutes. Then turn off the heat and leave covered. Saute the onion in

the remaining oil for 10 minutes, until softened and lightly browned.

Add to the rice, together with the raisins and nuts. Check the

seasonings and stir lightly with a fork. Garnish with a mint sprig to

serve.

YUM

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yea I know at our Arabic store there are different gradients? of semolina. I usually use the finer one for making bread, the courser one for harira and other things. Here's the recipe for our iftar meal tonight:

Mechoui

INGREDIENTS:

1 leg of lamb

3/4 cup ghee or melted butter

3 tablespooms kosher salt

2 teaspoons rosemary

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cumin

PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.Trim of excess fat from lamb cut and discard. Sprinkly kosher salt over meat. Place in roasting pan.Combine remaining ingredients to make a baste. Lightly baste the leg of lamb.

Cover with aluminum foil, like a tent. Cook for 2 1/2 hours, basting ever 30-45 minutes.Increase temperature to 375 degrees, remove foil, baste and allow leg of lamb to cook for 3 hours, or until skin is golden brown. Continue to baste each hour. Remove from oven and serve!

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Yea I know at our Arabic store there are different gradients? of semolina. I usually use the finer one for making bread, the courser one for harira and other things. Here's the recipe for our iftar meal tonight:

Mechoui

INGREDIENTS:

1 leg of lamb

3/4 cup ghee or melted butter

3 tablespooms kosher salt

2 teaspoons rosemary

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon cumin

PREPARATION:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.Trim of excess fat from lamb cut and discard. Sprinkly kosher salt over meat. Place in roasting pan.Combine remaining ingredients to make a baste. Lightly baste the leg of lamb.

Cover with aluminum foil, like a tent. Cook for 2 1/2 hours, basting ever 30-45 minutes.Increase temperature to 375 degrees, remove foil, baste and allow leg of lamb to cook for 3 hours, or until skin is golden brown. Continue to baste each hour. Remove from oven and serve!

This sounds really good and very similar to the one we make at home. The only difference is we pierce the leg of lamb and insert garlic cloves in the meat. We usually put around 9-10 cloves inside the leg of lamb. Its super yummy!

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

omg I have to stay out of this thread!!! :blink::blink:

:lol: Even the raw chicken looks good, doesn't it? :blush:

:crying: Somebody should have put a warning label on this thread

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I just finished making a big pot of Chorba frik. It's killing me cause it smells sooo good. I am also making 2 loaves of home made french bread. I use the dough cycle on the bread machine, then remove the dough to make the loaves, let them rise and cook them in the oven.

Meriem (F)

Edited by Meriem_setif

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline

Ok Holly, I had chicken thawed, so I am making the Lemon saffron chicken. It is in the fridge marinating now. Thanks for posting. :star:

If you have a bread machine, this is a very good an easy recipe for french bread. Goes great with chorba. I hope you enjoy it. :thumbs:

Meriem (F)

French Bread

Yields: 1 loaf

Ingredients:

* 9 ½ ounces (1 cup 3 Tbsp.) water, 90-100 degrees F

* 3-1/2 cups bread flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar

* 1-1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1 tablespoon butter or margarine

* 2 teaspoons active dry yeast or

* 1 1/2 teaspoon bread machine or fast rise yeast

* 1 egg white, slightly beaten

* 1 teaspoon water

Add lukewarm water to pan. Add bread flour, sugar and salt to pan. Tap pan to settle dry ingredients, then level ingredients, pushing some of the mixture into corners. Place butter into corners of pan. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add yeast. Lock pan into bread maker.

Program for DOUGH. Program TIMER if being used. Start bread maker. When done, remove pan from bread maker. Place dough onto floured surface. Let rest 15 minutes.

Roll dough into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle. Roll up tightly from long side, seal and taper ends. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 45 to 55 minutes or until nearly doubled in size. With sharp knife, make 3 or 4 ¼-inch deep diagonal cuts on top of loaf. Combine egg white with water and brush mixture on top of loaf.

Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing.

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Ok Holly, I had chicken thawed, so I am making the Lemon saffron chicken. It is in the fridge marinating now. Thanks for posting. :star:

If you have a bread machine, this is a very good an easy recipe for french bread. Goes great with chorba. I hope you enjoy it. :thumbs:

Meriem (F)

French Bread

Ingredients:

* 3-1/2 cups bread flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar

* 1-1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon water

Add lukewarm water to pan. Add bread flour, sugar and salt to pan. Tap pan to settle dry ingredients, then level ingredients, pushing some of the mixture into corners. Place butter into corners of pan. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add yeast. Lock pan into bread maker.

Program for DOUGH. Program TIMER if being used. Start bread maker. When done, remove pan from bread maker. Place dough onto floured surface. Let rest 15 minutes.

Roll dough into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle. Roll up tightly from long side, seal and taper ends. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 45 to 55 minutes or until nearly doubled in size. With sharp knife, make 3 or 4 ¼-inch deep diagonal cuts on top of loaf. Combine egg white with water and brush mixture on top of loaf.

Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing.

This sounds great Meriem. I also have a fast and easy recipe for french bread.

Drive to Safeway, park the car. Walk to Bakery dept. Squish all the bread loaves until you find the one you like the best. Stand in line, pay. Drive home. Eat bread. :lol:

VJ Hours - I am available M-F from 10am - 5pm PST. I will occasionaly put in some OT for a fairly good poo slinging thread or a donut.

Timeline

Meriem (F)

French Bread

Ingredients:

* 3-1/2 cups bread flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar

* 1-1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon water

Drive to Safeway, park the car. Walk to Bakery dept. Squish all the bread loaves until you find the one you like the best. Stand in line, pay. Drive home. Eat bread. :lol:

:lol: Yes that one's more up my alley!

Timeline

I second that!!!

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Timeline

Meriem (F)

French Bread

Ingredients:

* 3-1/2 cups bread flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar

* 1-1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon water

Hey Meriem... you've probably posted it before (and I'm too lazy to look in the Sultan's Kitchen) but what is chorba and could you please post the recipe??? Thanks! :thumbs:

I second that!!!

Pillsbury makes a decent one that you can pop out of the can & into the oven.... it's *almost* homemade! ;)

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline
Hey Meriem... you've probably posted it before (and I'm too lazy to look in the Sultan's Kitchen) but what is chorba and could you please post the recipe??? Thanks! :thumbs:

Isn't Chorba sort of like a type of Chicken Soup? At least that is what it looks/taste like to me.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Timeline

Meriem (F)

French Bread

Ingredients:

* 3-1/2 cups bread flour

* 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar

* 1-1/4 teaspoon salt

* 1 teaspoon water

HAHAHAHA!!! :lol: You are so funny!!! If only I had a safeway. Only thing we have is Walmart and their bread is terrible. Hachemi and I like the Pillsbury french bread in the can. I cook it almost everyday. But occasionally I like to make the home made one.

Chorba is a soup, like the minestrone, but has lots of flavor. It is tomato based with chickpeas and spices. Some variations use vermicelli instead of chickpeas. My MIL made this everyday I was there during Ramadan. When I was cooking it today, the smell brought back so many memories of when I was in Algeria.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 lb. lamb loin chops or beef stew meat

* 2 onions, finely minced

* 2 or 3 cloves of garlic minced

* 3 tomatoes, peeled seeded, then crushed

* 3 carrots, thinly sliced

* 3 medium sized potatoes, chopped

* 2 small zucchini

* 2 celery stalks

* 1/4 cup fresh parsley with stems,

* 1/4 cup cilantro with stems.

* 2 tablespoon tomato paste

* 1 teaspoon black pepper

* 1 teaspoon kosher salt

* 1/4 cup lemon juice

* 1/4 teaspoon tumeric

* 1/4 teaspoon saffron

* 1 1/2 cup dried chickpeas or garbanzos, soaked overnight

(I add some cinnamon and some paprika too)

( Sometimes I add Frik to the soup instead of Garbanzo beans. Frik is something like Bulgar wheat. I add it at the very end and cook for a few more minutes.)

(Some people use vermicelli instead of the garbanzos.)

PREPARATION:

I brown the meat in Olive oil first then add the onion and garlic. Cook those for about 3 mins then add the veggies(except tomatoes) in a large saucepan. Add about 10 cups of water. Using kitchen string, tie the parsley, cilantro and celery together and add that too. You will remove it after cooking. bring to a boil.

Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Be very gently and don't stir vigorously. You want the flavor to escape the tomatoes slowly.

Add chickpeas, spice and lemon juice. Slowly stir.

Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 30-35 minutes covered or until meat and chickpeas are done.

I have one of those small electric food choppers. looks like a miniature processor. I put the onions and the garlic in it and chop them very fine before I add them. I then put the tomatoes in and process until they are almost liquid.

Another thing I do is grate the potatoes, zucchini and the carrots instead of chopping them. I also will throw in a whole pepper, maybe a Jalapeno pepper if you want a little kick. Just remove it when the chorba is done.

I cook mine in a pressure cooker. If you dont have a pressure cooker, I dont think 30 to 35 minutes is enough. You may have to cook it longer.

post-18316-1189721037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Meriem_setif

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline
HAHAHAHA!!! :lol: You are so funny!!! If only I had a safeway. Only thing we have is Walmart and their bread is terrible. Hachemi and I like the Pillsbury french bread in the can. I cook it almost everyday. But occasionally I like to make the home made one.

Chorba is a soup, like the minestrone, but has lots of flavor. It is tomato based with chickpeas and spices. Some variations use vermicelli instead of chickpeas. My MIL made this everyday I was there during Ramadan. When I was cooking it today, the smell brought back so many memories of when I was in Algeria.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 small zucchini

* 2 celery stalks

* 1 teaspoon kosher salt

* 1/4 cup lemon juice

* 1/4 teaspoon tumeric

* 1/4 teaspoon saffron

( Sometimes I add Frik to the soup instead of Garbanzo beans. Frik is something like Bulgar wheat. I add it at the very end and cook for a few more minutes.)

PREPARATION:

I brown the meat in Olive oil first then add the onion and garlic. Cook those for about 3 mins then add the veggies(except tomatoes) in a large saucepan. Add about 10 cups of water. Using kitchen string, tie the parsley, cilantro and celery together and add that too. You will remove it after cooking. bring to a boil.

Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste. Be very gently and don't stir vigorously. You want the flavor to escape the tomatoes slowly.

Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about 30-35 minutes covered or until meat and chickpeas are done.

I have one of those small electric food choppers. looks like a miniature processor. I put the onions and the garlic in it and chop them very fine before I add them. I then put the tomatoes in and process until they are almost liquid.

Another thing I do is grate the potatoes, zucchini and the carrots instead of chopping them. I also will throw in a whole pepper, maybe a Jalapeno pepper if you want a little kick. Just remove it when the chorba is done.

I cook mine in a pressure cooker. If you dont have a pressure cooker, I dont think 30 to 35 minutes is enough. You may have to cook it longer.

To me that looks more like Harira soup. Sounds good though!

The Chorba I have had looks more like this..

100807103505.jpgpic12sNtw.jpg

Edited by carshel

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 small zucchini

* 2 celery stalks

* 1 teaspoon kosher salt

* 1/4 cup lemon juice

* 1/4 teaspoon tumeric

* 1/4 teaspoon saffron

PREPARATION:

To me that looks more like Harira soup. Sounds good though!

The Chorba I have had looks more like this..

100807103505.jpgpic12sNtw.jpg

it's look good :thumbs: i am going to add something too :D

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Update,

Kabab Fingers.

53eu6o3.jpg

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.