dkrivosheyev

Time to schedule an interview?

38 posts in this topic

How long does it take Moscow embassy to schedule an interview? Our petition was sent out from NVC almost two weeks ago; I called the embassy today (their call center) and they still don't have an interview date, moreover they cannot tell me if they received the petition at this time. They said it can take up to 30 days to receive the petition from NVC. Is this typical? What was your experience with the interview scheduling?

Thank you!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
How long does it take Moscow embassy to schedule an interview? Our petition was sent out from NVC almost two weeks ago; I called the embassy today (their call center) and they still don't have an interview date, moreover they cannot tell me if they received the petition at this time. They said it can take up to 30 days to receive the petition from NVC. Is this typical? What was your experience with the interview scheduling?

The state department will know the date before them embassy will. You can call them in DC and ask, they will probably know by now. Otherwise, it will be on the moscow website. You can guess when it will be posted based on the appointments already there (the date is encoded in the case #).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Typically, it takes a little over a month or so to get an interview scheduled. You can call and check the website daily, or you can sit back and relax and check on it once a week or even less. Either way, you're going to know the date well in advance. The only difference is the amount of stress you put on yourself.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Typically, it takes a little over a month or so to get an interview scheduled. You can call and check the website daily, or you can sit back and relax and check on it once a week or even less. Either way, you're going to know the date well in advance. The only difference is the amount of stress you put on yourself.

What happens if the approval notice expires before the interview is scheduled? Do they automatically extend the approval notice? If it takes over a month to schedule and then another 2 months to the interview, it will be past the expiration date...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

They automatically extend it but if it makes you feel better you can e-mail the embassy requesting an extension. Most everyones expires before the interview. Mine expired 4 months before the interview.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
They automatically extend it but if it makes you feel better you can e-mail the embassy requesting an extension. Most everyones expires before the interview. Mine expired 4 months before the interview.

We been approved on 26th of June.But the sealed packet I recieved was issued june 7!!!Interview was in August 17!

So make sure she expects her packet soon!tell her to check with a post office my letter was waiting for me whole month,because they did not sent me the notice!

I see... It appears that we will have to ask for an extension since it's taking up to 1 month for the embassy to schedule, but it makes me feel better that it is a common fact. There was someone here recently whose interview in Moscow was scheduled in approximately 1 week from the date the petition left NVC. But that is probably just an exception...

We been approved on 26th of June.But the sealed packet I recieved was issued june 7!!!Interview was in August 17!

So make sure she expects her packet soon!tell her to check with a post office my letter was waiting for me whole month,because they did not sent me the notice!

Was your K-1 visa approved on June 26th or I-129F? I am confused - what sealed packet do you mention here? Is it a packet that comes with the K-1 visa? How can they issue this packet before the visa is approved... Also, did you see your interview date on the Moscow Embassy website? This is a way to check on it even if you don't have a letter.

Thank you!

The state department will know the date before them embassy will. You can call them in DC and ask, they will probably know by now. Otherwise, it will be on the moscow website. You can guess when it will be posted based on the appointments already there (the date is encoded in the case #).

I called the state department, and they could not tell me - said I need to check with the embassy. I am curious how can you "decode" the date out of the case #? What date is encoded there?

Timeline

Was your K-1 visa approved on June 26th or I-129F? I am confused - what sealed packet do you mention here? Is it a packet that comes with the K-1 visa? How can they issue this packet before the visa is approved... Also, did you see your interview date on the Moscow Embassy website? This is a way to check on it even if you don't have a letter.

Thank you!

Sorry to confuse you.I been approved for K1 on august 17.

she must recieve packet with instructions.sorry made mistake calling it sealed:)

We had a stupid lawyer we relied on and she was kind of updating us.I found this page just week before the interview and it saved us lives.We had to re-do bunch of papers.We got our date from packet i recieved.so unfortunately I am not sure.But I know there was on website somewhere info.My fiance checked right week before and it was there.

Sorry to confuse you.I been approved for K1 on august 17.

she must recieve packet with instructions.sorry made mistake calling it sealed:)

We had a stupid lawyer we relied on and she was kind of updating us.I found this page just week before the interview and it saved us lives.We had to re-do bunch of papers.We got our date from packet i recieved.so unfortunately I am not sure.But I know there was on website somewhere info.My fiance checked right week before and it was there.

Thank you, that explains it. We also have an attorney as our case is not straightforward, but I got most of paperwork information and guidelines from VJ. This is a great site!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So you are saying that the embassy in Russia sends the packet via regular mail not via DHL?

So you are saying that the embassy in Russia sends the packet via regular mail not via DHL?

Yes, the Moscow embassy sends the packet via regular mail. Only the actual visa is sent via DHL

As far as the approval notice and it's expiration date.... I've never even heard of that, so that's how important that is. I wouldn't waste any time worrying about it. Your sweety is going to get assigned a date and then sent a packet of information. As long as she complies with what's in that packet and shows up on the date assigned, she's A-OK.

Decoding the date -

You'll see the "code" as something like MOS2007905004 or something like that. (This is the NVC case number that you'll be assigned from NVC shortly after receiving the NOA II from your area service center.)

Basically, the 2007905 is the date it was assigned to MOScow embassy at NVC. (Not fact, just my theory!) Soon, within a month or so, you'll see that number (it may be along with your service center number LIN0708551980) on the embassy's website along with the date of the interview.

You can use your NVC case number to compare to the case numers (and dates) of interviews already assigned on the website to ballpark figure your interview date.

Example:

Your NVC case number- MOS2007905012

Embassy website list-

MOS2007804001 - Dec 12

MOS2007901006 - Nov 28

MOS2006505123 - Dec 08

MOS2007923008 - Dec 16

MOS2007826002 - Nov 26

You can take a guess that your interview is going to be somewhere between the end of November and the middle of December. This is in no way a scientific process, but it does work. Sometimes! Good luck, and if you still don't understand, just wait. Eventually, you'll see your number on there as well.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Yes they send via normal mail.But when they send passport its through dhl and you pay for it in advance before the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.