Chuckles

Money transfer from Russia to USA

40 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I was reading the thread about sending money to Russia, and it got me thinking, maybe one of you can help me a dilema I have, but in the oppisite.

My wife would like to transfer some money from Russia into her American bank account. We do not want to use West. Union as the fees are ridiculous. We are not travelling to Russia anytime soon, and we want a way to do this with minimum fees.

Anyone with experience or ideas??

Thanks

K1 Visa Process long ago and far away...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

AOS Process a fading memory...

01/31/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD package for Olga and Anya

06/01/07 - Green card arrived in mail

Removing Conditions

03/02/09 - Mailed I-751 package (CSC)

03/06/09 - Check cashed

03/10/09 - Recieved Olga's NOA1

03/28/09 - Olga did biometrics

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

How big is the sum of money? Just do the math. Ask your bank and her bank what their money transferring service costs are. The beauty of wire transfer is that it is one flat sum on both ends. Around $20 to $40 total depending on the bank. But again this only justified with a sum of money in excess of say $500. Otherwise the ATM method and Western Union seem more practical in terms of saving on fees.

Timeline
How big is the sum of money? Just do the math. Ask your bank and her bank what their money transferring service costs are. The beauty of wire transfer is that it is one flat sum on both ends. Around $20 to $40 total depending on the bank. But again this only justified with a sum of money in excess of say $500. Otherwise the ATM method and Western Union seem more practical in terms of saving on fees.

Well, it is a few thousand. The other particulars are it is not in a bank, as my wife didn't like dealing with banks in Russia. They tend to somehow fold without notice. Anyway, not to debate that, because I do not fully understand her posistion either. It was also my understanding that the 'Western' bank system and the 'Russian' bank system do not do business with each other. I.E. no money transfers.

I may be completly wrong in my assumptions. I suppose 40$ is not too much to pay, if it is possible. Maybe there are a few 'western' banks that do business in Russia outside Moscow? A trip to Moscow by a friend or relative would be too expensive as well.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

Removing Conditions

03/06/09 - Check cashed

05/11/09 - Anya recieved NOA1 (took a call to USCIS to take care of it, oddly, they were helpful)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Wiring the money might be the easiest way. The other option you might look at is e-moneygram. It is just like western union except a fraction of the cost. I would guess they are about 1/3 or 1/4th the price. You could probably send a few thousand cheaper than a wire. They don't have quite as many locations as Western Union but there are more than enough that finding one should not be hard. In my gals hometown there are 3 moneygram places vs maybe 20 WU but fortunately one of the 3 is more conveniently located than any of the WU locations.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
It was also my understanding that the 'Western' bank system and the 'Russian' bank system do not do business with each other. I.E. no money transfers.

That's wrong - they do it.

My parents used to send me money all the time before I got married. You can try a wire transfer from Vneshtorgbank (they're not only in Moscow) or Promsvyazbank (I'm not sure if they exist outside of Moscow, I hope they do). Sberbank, i think, does it too, but we never used it. It is possible to wire money without opening a bank account in Russia, btw.

Vneshtorgbank charges $20 or 1%, whichever is greater, for an outgoing transfer. Time for the money to be credited - 3 business days. Promsvyazbank - I don't know how much they charge (probably about the same - $20 or 1%), but the money arrives into your U.S. account the next day.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline
It was also my understanding that the 'Western' bank system and the 'Russian' bank system do not do business with each other. I.E. no money transfers.

That's wrong - they do it.

My parents used to send me money all the time before I got married. You can try a wire transfer from Vneshtorgbank (they're not only in Moscow) or Promsvyazbank (I'm not sure if they exist outside of Moscow, I hope they do). Sberbank, i think, does it too, but we never used it. It is possible to wire money without opening a bank account in Russia, btw.

Vneshtorgbank charges $20 or 1%, whichever is greater, for an outgoing transfer. Time for the money to be credited - 3 business days. Promsvyazbank - I don't know how much they charge (probably about the same - $20 or 1%), but the money arrives into your U.S. account the next day.

Cool! Thanks for the information!

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

Removing Conditions

03/06/09 - Check cashed

I have the same problem and my bank (Citibank in Moscow) does not allow money wires overseas without documents substantiating the transfer (agreement etc). WU is out of question - I have just wired 2K to my friend in Canada and paid $95 commission on it. Cash on board is limited to... 3K? 10K?

Any other options? Can I gift the money to my fiance and if so, how does that work?

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Timeline
friend in Canada and paid $95 commission on it. Cash on board is limited to... 3K? 10K?

You can take unlimited cash into and out of the US, though you must tell US Customs about.

Russia may have its own limitations on the export of currency though.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

You guys are acting like a hundred bucks for a transfer is going to kill you.

Come on. Sign your name, list an address, make a call to pass a security number and in a matter of hours, you're thousands of dollars richer.

Thousands of dollars. If it costs you $100 to gain several thousand, are you really getting a bad deal? I'll put $100 up right now for anyone that wants to send me several thousand. As a matter of fact, I'll come pick it up!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Thousands of dollars. If it costs you $100 to gain several thousand, are you really getting a bad deal? I'll put $100 up right now for anyone that wants to send me several thousand.

To WU up to 6K costs almost $300, and I have 15K to send. And it's not my guy who will be "gaining" these 15K but WE, OURSELVES and OUR retirement/ car/ house /whatever.

Yes, the expense is going to kill me and yes, I'd rather avoid it.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Timeline
I have the same problem and my bank (Citibank in Moscow) does not allow money wires overseas without documents substantiating the transfer (agreement etc). WU is out of question - I have just wired 2K to my friend in Canada and paid $95 commission on it. Cash on board is limited to... 3K? 10K?

Any other options? Can I gift the money to my fiance and if so, how does that work?

I asked my mom about substantiating the transfer - she said that all she had to do is tell the bank that the money is for personal expenses and not for some business purposes. But I won't be surprised if different banks have different regulations.

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Timeline

Thousands of dollars. If it costs you $100 to gain several thousand, are you really getting a bad deal? I'll put $100 up right now for anyone that wants to send me several thousand.

To WU up to 6K costs almost $300, and I have 15K to send. And it's not my guy who will be "gaining" these 15K but WE, OURSELVES and OUR retirement/ car/ house /whatever.

Yes, the expense is going to kill me and yes, I'd rather avoid it.

I would have to agree, 100 dollars or more is alot of money. It doesn't make you 'gain' anything, you are losing the money anyway you look at it.

The money is for savings anyway, and my wife worked really hard for her money, considering the differences in currency exchange and the difference in average income through the years, and does not want to part with any of it that easily... actually Slim neither should you! Your wife needs to make you think more like a Russian me thinks...

02/09/06 - NOA1 date

12/17/06 - Married!

Removing Conditions

03/06/09 - Check cashed

... actually Slim neither should you! Your wife needs to make you think more like a Russian me thinks...

It's my wife that has me thinking like this! She's so crazy about money. She wants us to party like rock stars and spend money we don't have like we're millionaires, but then when it comes down to saving money, she makes me scrounge together my pennies to convert into dollars to deposit into the joint account.

Example: We're walking down the street. I see a nice, shiny penny, lean down to grab it, and she pulls me back and says "FOO!!!! You never touch this dirty stuff because it will change your energy and you will spend your energy to get this one cent and cancel your energy that keeps you open for one million dollars to come to you." (Feng Shui? Far East mumbo-jumbo, maybe?)

On the flip side, she tells me that I must spend money, like buying the more expensive clothes or the nicer home furnishings, or eating in nice restaurants and leaving big tips because if I spend money like I have money, more money will come to me.

More money is coming to me now, but I'm not fully convinced it's because I'm leaving 20% tips at "fashionable" restaurants when we go out, I think it has something to do with the 32 hours of over time I'm working each week. She's convinced that making more money is directly related to how we spend it.

We're due to win the lottery pretty soon. I'll let you guys know when that happens. Until then, we'll be looking up at the moon and holding my ATM cards....

"Myesits, Myesits......"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
It's my wife that has me thinking like this! She's so crazy about money. She wants us to party like rock stars and spend money we don't have like we're millionaires, but then when it comes down to saving money, she makes me scrounge together my pennies to convert into dollars to deposit into the joint account.

On the flip side, she tells me that I must spend money, like buying the more expensive clothes or the nicer home furnishings, or eating in nice restaurants and leaving big tips because if I spend money like I have money, more money will come to me.

Is she still under the impression we are all millionares here? Money grows on trees, etc. America is rich nonsense?

If my wife had this mentality it we'd never stop arguing.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

You guys so funny:)Its just russian mentality to live fully:)

Maybe she thinks this way:why he married me if he cant provide?lol

you guys sound fun anyway:)looks like you still happy together:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.