thetreble

Second topic for me today...sorry! haha

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I just got my EAD and even though I am waiting a few week to apply for an SSN, I started to apply for some jobs.

The New Jersey Devils are debuting their 2007-2008 season in a brand new rink in Newark, NJ. Because of the new arena, there are 100 + jobs that have opened up. So I heard on tv about this and was like...hmm... I wouldn't mind working there!! So I applied for a plethora of administrative assisstant jobs. (ie. assistant to director of operations) and was quite pleased with myself. I figure, I've got my B.A. and a lot of office experience so I should at least get an interview. I'm also pretty experienced in hockey as far as my knowledge and contacts. My little brother starts his pro career this year after finishing in the QMJHL last year (first try out is with the AHL team the Hersey Bears on Sept. 18th) and my oldest brother just finished playing in the Southern Pro hockey league down in Georgia earlier this year. I played myself growing up as well as ringette. (yes thats right, ringette. a truly Canadian sport) So pretty much just grew up around this game and love it to death. So would love to get into the devils organization somehow.

Today on the news they were doing a story about how the new Prudential Centre (as they are calling it) is having a 2 day job fair which started yesterday. At the job fair, every one is entitled to an interview. I thought...Oh well, I have already submitted my resume and everything. Then I heard they had over 3,000 people show up. :lol: I mean it is Newark, NJ, which is the biggest city in New Jersey and probably has a staggering unemployment rate. But still....there are probably a thousand people applying for the same jobs I applied for. :lol: Not so sure about that interview now! Sacre Bleu!

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If ya don't apply or attend the interview, for sure ur chances are zero,lol Give it a go and be confident, I'm sure something good will come out of it. Any time you get to do an interview, one gets more confident at doing them. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Well I did apply over the internet. I spent like 3 hours yesterday morning sending in applications for about 6 jobs and sprucing up my resume. I just hope my chances aren't hurt because I didn't go to the job fair and get an automatic interview. I mean they are interviewing every one who shows up without even first going over their resume so I'm sure half the candidates will be ruled out any ways. Plus, some people waited 8 hours to just get interviewed. I'm not ready to feel like I am auditioning for Canadian idol. :lol:

My eyes filled with grit

Always good to attend the job fair. Good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

Well I would have went today but I left my keys in my husband's car by accident and he's already at work. (he works about 35 minutes away so no chance of him coming home..he doesn't let lunch breaks)

So..oh well! I guess I just didn't expect so many people.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
Well I would have went today but I left my keys in my husband's car by accident and he's already at work. (he works about 35 minutes away so no chance of him coming home..he doesn't let lunch breaks)

So..oh well! I guess I just didn't expect so many people.

I wouldn't have turned up for the 'Canadian Idol' interviews either :)

I wish you luck with your application though, sounds like your cup of tea!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
So I just got my EAD and even though I am waiting a few week to apply for an SSN, I started to apply for some jobs.

The New Jersey Devils are debuting their 2007-2008 season in a brand new rink in Newark, NJ. Because of the new arena, there are 100 + jobs that have opened up. So I heard on tv about this and was like...hmm... I wouldn't mind working there!! So I applied for a plethora of administrative assisstant jobs. (ie. assistant to director of operations) and was quite pleased with myself. I figure, I've got my B.A. and a lot of office experience so I should at least get an interview. I'm also pretty experienced in hockey as far as my knowledge and contacts. My little brother starts his pro career this year after finishing in the QMJHL last year (first try out is with the AHL team the Hersey Bears on Sept. 18th) and my oldest brother just finished playing in the Southern Pro hockey league down in Georgia earlier this year. I played myself growing up as well as ringette. (yes thats right, ringette. a truly Canadian sport) So pretty much just grew up around this game and love it to death. So would love to get into the devils organization somehow.

Today on the news they were doing a story about how the new Prudential Centre (as they are calling it) is having a 2 day job fair which started yesterday. At the job fair, every one is entitled to an interview. I thought...Oh well, I have already submitted my resume and everything. Then I heard they had over 3,000 people show up. :lol: I mean it is Newark, NJ, which is the biggest city in New Jersey and probably has a staggering unemployment rate. But still....there are probably a thousand people applying for the same jobs I applied for. :lol: Not so sure about that interview now! Sacre Bleu!

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

Sorry, I think my web browser is taking Friday off. I'm sure that you'll get the job, after all someone's got to be Martin Brodeur's backup. :)

IR5

I definitely wouldn't have gone to the "Canadian Idol" fair either, Amanda! :lol: I think you did just fine applying over the 'net. Let's hope that someone at least takes notice of your application so you can get the chance to wow them in person.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

I'm not ready to feel like I am auditioning for Canadian idol. :lol:

:lol: Good a good chuckle out of that one

I hope you will hear from them!

I hear you on the job application thing. I have been looking for work since August 15th, and have made about 20 applications so far. One if them is really getting on my nerves. Its a job that I meet 90% of their requirements and I applied when I saw the job posted in the first time at the end of july. They told me the job was filled. Then 2 weeks later they posted the exact same job. Sent them an e-mail again and got an answer saying it was filled and the e-mail of the supervisor if I wanted to ask myself....Which I did. She told me the job was filled. Then THIS WEEK, the SAME job got posted again....I e-mailed her again and she said no we are not looking for that anymore but for a supervisor...

So right now I feel the need to post her the link so she could read it herself cause they don't seem to know what they are doing.... That's stupid.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Timeline
I definitely wouldn't have gone to the "Canadian Idol" fair either, Amanda! :lol: I think you did just fine applying over the 'net. Let's hope that someone at least takes notice of your application so you can get the chance to wow them in person.

Yes I shall wow them with my dance moves and jazz hands! :lol: I hope I an interview than I Can get you all free hockey tickets! haha

Mephys..that crappy about the job. I hate when a company does stuff like that. It always seems either dishonest or really a lack of communication that looks bad on the company.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
I'm not ready to feel like I am auditioning for Canadian idol. :lol:

:lol: Good a good chuckle out of that one

I hope you will hear from them!

I hear you on the job application thing. I have been looking for work since August 15th, and have made about 20 applications so far. One if them is really getting on my nerves. Its a job that I meet 90% of their requirements and I applied when I saw the job posted in the first time at the end of july. They told me the job was filled. Then 2 weeks later they posted the exact same job. Sent them an e-mail again and got an answer saying it was filled and the e-mail of the supervisor if I wanted to ask myself....Which I did. She told me the job was filled. Then THIS WEEK, the SAME job got posted again....I e-mailed her again and she said no we are not looking for that anymore but for a supervisor...

So right now I feel the need to post her the link so she could read it herself cause they don't seem to know what they are doing.... That's stupid.

Memphys, I worked for an "organization" that did the same thing quite frequently (no, it wasn't the government) and I really need to wonder if you'd want to put up with that kind of insanity. Was the company located on rue de caca by any chance?

Thetreble, if your brother makes it on the Hershey Bears and then gets called up by the parent club (Capitals) who will you cheer for? At least the Caps aren't in the same division as the Devils.

IR5

Timeline
Thetreble, if your brother makes it on the Hershey Bears and then gets called up by the parent club (Capitals) who will you cheer for? At least the Caps aren't in the same division as the Devils.

I'm not a fan of either team! Probably the caps because I know a few guys on that team like Steve Eminger. We went to highschool together. But I'm a hockey nomad. Each year I seem to like a different team depending on new, fresh young talent. Like...the lightening...love them now.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

Employers are very.... weird... sometimes. So I know this person who applied for a job at Canada Olympic Park here in Calgary, in August.

It has to do with maintenance of the luge run. So person talks to them - job sounds ok BUT - since they didn't really need someone to maintain the run until September, they wanted him to lay bricks for a few weeks....?? He says no, thank you, doesn't sound like the job for me.

So a week or two later they are advertising basically the same job - but starting sooner. So he applies, they ask him in for an interview. They will train him over the 2 weeks leading up to the season, he will work with the foreman of the area therefore when they hire additional staff later in September he will be in a senior role, helping the guy out. All good.

So they hire him, he shows up for work, he carries scaffolding, sits around doing nothing a lot and does general maintenance work (nothing to do with the luge!!). He quit.

Anyway I just think it's weird, they knew he wasn't interested in being the brick layer guy or the maintenance guy - and the whole 'senior member of the team' went out the window the first day with some vague talk about - well it's whomever seems to show the most aptitude blah blah blah.

Granted there is a severe labour shortage in Calgary - but I still don't think the 'trick someone in to taking a job approach' is really effective - silly silly people.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.