VisaJourneyLady

Did you get married in a hurry for the visa

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Gotta ask some sage advice of you guys, particularly those who got married sooner than they might have done to be together or so they could go to the US together. :help:

I've been with my USC partner for 5 yrs now. We've lived together in the UK for the last 3 (he was here as a student). Where we would end up, and how it would it be possible has always been an issue for us, and I kinda assumed that if we wanted to be together long term we would have to get married. (to my annoyance every tom, ####### and harry from the earliest stage in our relationship has felt entitled to ask us if and when that would happen). Because we've both thought about it more than maybe someone else would, we've come to the feeling that we really don't want our relationship which has progressed and developed without rings and white dresses to be suddenly defined by them. My partner feels this way very strongly.

Recently we got an EEA Family Permit (I'm Irish) for him :yes: , as unmarried partners, so we can stay in the Uk without getting married :huh: . However, the longer I stay here, the more I think that our quality of life would be a lot better in the US. The marriage can of worms was reopened. I talked to my family about it. At first they seemed fine, and happy for us, but I suspected they were dissappointed, and pressed the matter. It became clear that they'd be very disappointed that there wouldn't be a ceremony, and really couldn't let go of the idea that 'really we would be married'. Funny enough, my sisters were more affected than my parents who had a more 'well you love each other, that's all that matters' approach. Despite our protestations that yes legally we would be married, and we are happy with the legal protections that will give us as a couple. But we don't want them to think of us differently, or God forbid start asking when the grandkids are arriving. :bonk:

I know that how we feel is pretty specific, but really I would just like to hear stories about anyone that is going in to or has gone in to marriage a little quicker than they would have otherwise. How do you feel about it? How do your family feel?

We called the whole thing off, and said we would just stay here, but we think it's the right thing for us, and now are thinking about going ahead, and just lying about how I got the visa.

P.S. Moderator, I would be most grateful if this was kept in the UK thread (L)

The UK Wiki

Timeline

Forgot to mention, we passed through Vegas when we only knew each other for a few weeks, I've often thought we would have saved ourselves a lot of problems if...

Is it easier to be a little more carefree about the marriage thing, if it's earlier in the relationship?

Edited by Poiteen

The UK Wiki

I think you have to do what is best for you as a couple, and for your future. Unfortunately, in your case, that means getting married so that you can settle here.

If your family can't understand that is the only reason you're 'doing the deed', then too bad. I wouldn't want to 'hide' something like that the rest of my life just so they don't think I've gone against their 'wishes'.

You and your fiance don't need to have a big ta-do in order to make it legal. You don't even have to wear rings/exchange rings, or have any specific attire.

Its your life - do what you need to do, and let the rest fall away.

SA4userbar.jpg

My now husband and I had known each other for 15 years before we got married last year. We shared a lot of your feelings about not needing marriage to be together, and I was not crazy about the institution after having lived through by parents very acrimonious divorce after 30 years of marriage. But then I got the job offer back in the US, and the only way for him to come was to bite the bullet. We did things very low key - just us in Vegas (but still the best wedding ever). Now that it's done, I'm not sure why I made such a big deal about resisting it - it really is no different than before. Possibly, it may even be better.

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We probably married a little sooner then we would've had it not been for this whole stupid process. I don't regret one minute of it all so far.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We were lucky that my wife was able to live in the UK for two years before we got married. We weren't able to get married in the UK due to some technicality, so we got our finance visa and got married in Vegas. Vegas seemed the ideal choice as that is where we met and was a bit more glamorous than going to a courthouse. We are now planning on having a big wedding sometime next year where we will have all our family over. We both feel a bit peeved that we never had a proper wedding because of this process.

I am so glad that we had those two years in the UK, as we got all the living together issues over with before we moved over here and got married. I would say that if you are happy get married, do it in the UK and then go for a spouse visa so the non USC can work when he gets there.

Anyway do what you feel best for you and don't worry about everyone else.

P.S Our quality of life is so much better over here.

Edited by thesnowman

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The nice thing about getting married in the US, is it is a less defined process than the UK. You can really do just what you want or leave out what you don't want as long as the legal bit is covered. Do what is best for yourselves so you can get the visa, that's what we did so my wife could come to the UK. No partenr visa's in those days.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

We were another couple that had known each other for several years and lived together etc. I was way more anti marriage than him even though he had gone through a very messy divorce after 25 years of marriage. We did the Vegas route. No guests, no fancy stuff, just a quick trip to get it over with and continue with paperwork. Is it any different? It was until I just forgot about the whole thing and didn't make a big deal about it anymore. I don't refer to him as my husband, and he doesn't refer to me as his wife...and we're settled with that. We exchanged wedding bands, but I hardly ever wear mine as it gets in the way for work. I kept my name, and pretty much life is going on as it was before.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline
If your family can't understand that is the only reason you're 'doing the deed', then too bad. I wouldn't want to 'hide' something like that the rest of my life just so they don't think I've gone against their 'wishes'.

You and your fiance don't need to have a big ta-do in order to make it legal. You don't even have to wear rings/exchange rings, or have any specific attire.

Thanks for all the support, guys.

TracyTN, I absolutely agree, that's why at first I thought it was best to tell them about it. However, they are Irish and Catholic, and seem to be incapable of thinking about marriage in half measures. It seems like they might come round eventually, but at the minute, they would be less hurt by a lie. I'm struggling to think of something plausible though.

The UK Wiki

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't feel like we're getting married in a hurry, but we certainly aren't doing it the typical way. neither of us are obsessed with a ceremony or all the hoopla. but... my mother is a minister. So when i told her there probably won't be a typical traditional wedding she got back to me with this whole opinion. however she told me she wants me to do what will make me happy. so that's that!

K1 Timeline!

I-129F Sent - May 9, 2007

Recieved hard copy NOA1 - May 19, 2007

NOA2 !!! - August 10, 2007

Interview scheduled for Nov 6th, 2007 APPROVED weeee

Entry 11/24/07

Marriage: 1/14/08

(see timeline for full list of dates/info)

AOS

Sent package to Chicago - 1/23/2008

Recv'd - 1/25/2008

Notice Date for I-485, I-765, and I-131 - 1/30/2008

Transfer notice to Cali - 2/12/2008

Biometrics - 2/21/2008

EAD Card Production ordered 3/19/08

and again on 3/24/08 ??

AP approved 3/19/08

AP document received 3/25/08

Touched 3/27/08

Called to check case status 12/15/08 were told we are still in processing time

RFE email notice 1/9/09

Medical appointment 1/31/09. husband loses RFE paper same day.

New RFE paper requested on 2/4/09.

New RFE paper received 2/28/09..gee good thing that RFE isnt due til beginning of April!!!!!!

Send RFE reply 3/3/08

EAD Approval was NOT updated online. We had an infopass meeting for 3/6 and then the EAD shows up in the mail on 3/5!!!! cancelled appointment,

all i have to say is #######.

STILL WAITING in March 09

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We didn't tell our parents until AFTER and it was kind of fun!! Look at my timeline we were together 4 years before we tied the knot and even then between the proposal and actual deed there was less than 2 weeks! Go with the flow. Are you doing it for your family or for the two of you?

My Timeline or lack of:-

08-29-2000 First met

03-02-2004 He proposed

03-19-2004 Married Cincinnati, OH

03-25-2004 Forms filled waiting on Certified Marriage License.

03-29-2004 3 Copies of certified marriage license handed to me at the local probate court with the $2 per copy fee waived!!!

04-17-2004 FULL packet mailed off finally to Cincinnati Local office.

04-29-2004 Recieve NOA for I-130 and I-485 for our son.

05-01-2004 Recieve NOA for I-130, I-485 and EAD for me.

06-15-2004 Appointment for Fingerprinting and Biometrics at Cincy Sub office. - DONE!

06-17-2004 Cases status for AOS's and EAD updated on USCIS website.

06-21-2004 Fingerprinting review recieved by MSC for I-485's processing resumed.

07-06-2004 Change of addresses sent out to Nebraska, Kentucky and Cincinnati.

08-04-2004 EAD Approved.

08-16-2004 Applied for SSN card at local SSA, relatively painless but with a quirk.

01-30-2006 Interview Cincinnati, APPROVED pending Medical and Vaccination Supplement.

03-14-2006 We're PREGNANT!!

03-23-2006 AOS Notice recieved!!!!

04-03-2006 Cards recieved!

04-24-2006 Miscarriage 12w

04-01-2007 Miscarriage 6w

06-01-2007 Fertility testing begins

07-29-2007 First trip back to England in 4 years.

03-26-2009 DS2 Arrival 7lb 8oz

05-17-2010 We're expecting AGAIN!!

01-13-2011 DD Arrival 6lb 6oz

If David were living in the US, we would not be married now. I had no interest in being married again * ever*, but being without David was not an option. Since the only way we could be together was through marriage, we had no other choice. Not exactly romantic, but the story of how we met is romantic enough. :blush:

You have to do what's right for you. Try not to worry so much about other people's feelings. Easier said than done, I know.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Timeline

We had no other way to be together...we had 2 years in London then my visa ran out. :( But being married is growing on me now. You gotta do what you gotta do to be together. :yes:

I won't say our quality of life is better or worse than London - just different here.

We did a small Catholic ceremony (not mass) by an old family priest in the chapel at Mom's church - her, my sis-in-law/my bro, my sis, my Mom & us. We did a bigger shebang later but the 'real' marriage was in a church & even tho I am a lapsed Catholic & J is agnostic, Mom wanted it & I'm glad we did it there. It's one thing that made me Mom thrilled not to mention I adore that priest - he confirmed me back in the day!

Edited by devilette

Thanks for all the support, guys.

TracyTN, I absolutely agree, that's why at first I thought it was best to tell them about it. However, they are Irish and Catholic, and seem to be incapable of thinking about marriage in half measures. It seems like they might come round eventually, but at the minute, they would be less hurt by a lie. I'm struggling to think of something plausible though.

Well, maybe tell them that you did what devilette did - a small (non mass) Catholic ceremony performed by someone locally. That way they would know that you are married, but won't feel that you've done it 'half way' (who needs that grief from their families???!), but knowing how you both feel about marriage, they could surely understand you doing it on the 'down low'.

Lying is never optimal, but sometimes to do it in order to spare hurt feelings is the only way to go.

I hate that they put you in that position though. You two are grown adults (last time I checked)!

SA4userbar.jpg

When I was growing up, I was never interested in marriage. It was purely a bit of paper to me and that bit of paper isn't necessary to prove how much you love someone. My whole outlook on marriage was probably because my mum and dad never married but had a loving, long term relationship. If the visa process wasn't necessary in our relationship, I could have seen us living together, unmarried, indefinitely.

Josh and I knew after our first visit together that we wanted to be together permanently and, for that to happen, we would have to marry. We waited until my 3rd visit to the US to tie the knot. It was a small ceremony, with only his parents as witnesses. The judge that performed our marriage was wonderful, we chose a vow which had a rather long passage before the actual vows, that summed up exactly how we felt for each other :) But it was a small event and low key.. neither of us are particularly outgoing, so suited us perfectly :)

Edited by C and J

Cheryl

06/2005 Met Josh online ~ 02/2006 My 1st visit to the US ~ 09/2006 2nd US visit (Josh proposed) ~ 02/2007 3rd US visit (married)

04/2007 K3 visa applied ~ 05/2007 Josh's 1st UK visit ~ 09/2007 4th US visit ~ 02/2008 K3 visa completed ~ 02/2008 US entry

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

04/2008 AOS/EAD filed ~ 05/2008 Biometrics ~ 06/2008 EAD recv'd ~ 08/2008 Conditional greencard

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/2010 3rd wedding anniversary ~ 06/04/2010 Apply for lifting conditions ~ 06/14 package delivered ~ 07/23 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.