wishforhumility

I-751 - Running out of time fast!

9 posts in this topic

My wife, now ex-wife, in Arkansas, divorced me July 30, for no clearly stated reason.

I knew she was going to, she gave up on our marriage after the first 6 wonderful months of our

married life. Things changed, and nothing I could try - was accepted, and I tried everything. In

a nutshell - without a long story:

She hated her mother, loved her father. Her father was dying. Two years' into her complacency,

I already knew I would be around until her father died, & then I would be no longer "needed".

As soon as her father died, she put her mother into a nursing home, got control of the house, the

car, the finances, and then I was the last piece of "garbage" that needed disposing of. As I knew

it would happen - to the letter.

She admits to me that she lied to the judge, in giving her "reasons" for the divorce, although to

no-one else. To them I am the scumbag, even though privately, in discussion, she acknowledges

I have done no wrong to her.

The only place I had to go - was to someone who opened their home to me in San Antonio, Texas.

Now I have questions, as I am really getting desperate right now:

* I understand I have to send "proof" that it was a 'bonafide' marriage to Immigration Authorities,

with photo-copies of my divorce decree.

But my one-year green-card runs out next MARCH, & it's my understanding that if they aren't

happy with my "proof" by then, that I will be deported - which also means an automatic 10-year

ban from the United States!

Of the 5 Service Centers that serve the USA, Texas has the *worst* reputation for back-logs,

and if I file with them and they don't do it in time - I get deported!!

I have nowhere to go, this is my home here..and frankly, the place I came from was hell. I will

much prefer to die than to be sent back. I love this country *deeply*.. more than many people

I've met do. (My father served in the US military, although the only proof of that I have, is on

my birth certificate) .. If I get sent back, my life is over.

Question 1:

With only a slim 6-month window (with me heading back to Arkansas - served by the Texas

Service Center, since I'm being asked on the I-751 for 2 people who've known both me and

my ex-wife, who are the only 2 people I know - a church friend there, and the postman who

has known her all his life .. what are my chances of this being successful? - That is, saving

my neck! .. My church friend has only met her once or twice, but knows me very well - and

has no idea what supporting evidence he can provide besides the affidavit that is asked for.

Question 2:

The 'change of address' say I can be deported for failing to provide a change of address

within 10 days of doing so. I didn't know this, and moved down to San Antonio, 1 month ago!

Anyone faced this or have any thoughts please on this?

Question 3:

With the evidence I'm sending in of our marriage - do I include photos? I ask - because none

of the photos I have - are dated at all .. How many should I send? Or in a separate envelope

with a letter explaining each pic, or just by themselves, or what? .. I am clueless here, and

on my own.

Question 4:

Do I have to make photo-copies of my paychecks from my job to prove I am working? .. My

employer will transfer me to any place in the United States, if I have to move to a more

northern state!

I am praying a lot more than I used to. I am very scared.

Thank you in advance, [From the UK]

wishforhumility.

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2004-02-23

I-129F NOA1 : 2004-03-02

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2004-04-27

NVC Received : 2004-05-03

NVC Left : 2004-05-04

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2004-05-12

Packet 3 Sent : 2004-05-17

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2004-06-25 Submit Review

Visa Received : 2004-06-25

US Entry : 2004-06-29

Marriage : 2004-07-04

Comments : Vermont was excellent and very fast! The London Counsulate was also very fast, nice

and worked very hard to correct a computer glitch that delayed the visa printing.

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 64 days.

Your interview took 123 days from filing.

Why was this moved? .. I reposted in the section that people told me to, now it gets moved.

I don't know how all this works, or where it was moved to. And still nobody answers it. No answers here. I give up.

Edited by wishforhumility

K-1 Visa

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Packet 4 Received :

Comments : Vermont was excellent and very fast! The London Counsulate was also very fast, nice

and worked very hard to correct a computer glitch that delayed the visa printing.

Filed: Timeline

Ok, I have not yet filed to lift conditions (yet), but I'll offer whatever information I can.

(this post seems to be in the right forum).

You can't file to lift conditions until the 90 day window prior to your conditional card expiring. So you could file sometime in December 07 (whatever day will be 90 days prior to your card's expiration date).

You send in your application with all the evidence and fees.

You seem to think they will suddenly deport you if you don't send in enough information off the bat. it doesn't work that way. If they feel that more eveidence is needed to support your application - then they will send you a request for more evidence and give you time to send in the additional documents.

You said you needed to return home because people who knew you were married reside there. I really don't see why you'd need to do that. If you need some letters from them to support your marriage, then call them and ask them to mail them to you or ask a trusted friend to collect them for you. (just my suggestion, maybe these options don't work well for you).

Start by reading the following FAQ section:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-re...conditions.html

I'm hoping that you can relax a bit and try not to be scared. Don't worry about being deporting at this point, just start preparing your application and gathering the documents you will need to send in with it in December.

Hope this helps you a bit. I'm sure there are many other members in the same situation as you are who will offer better advice and support too.

Take care,

Jane

Edited by sian2

Sorry, I just realised that you are divorced. being divorced you can file at anytime and won't need to wait until December.

I also wanted to add that I believe USCIS will send you an extension letter, that will extend your conditional residence status for one year, if your application is going to take a while. So while your card might expire, you will be given extended status.

Hi, wishforhumility! I am sorry to hear about your situation. I am not as familiar with what you need to do as other members here but I think Jane (sian2) has given you good advice. If your divorce is finalized now, you can file for removal of conditions as soon as you gather the paperwork. Also, I agree that you do not need to move in order to ask your friends for affidavits. Just call them and explain to them what you need (there are wonderful examples of affidavits on this forum) and they can mail it to you (ask them to include how they knew both of you, how often they used to see you, etc.). As far as pictures are concerned, we sent some from different locations- some from a ski resort, some from the beach, some from home, etc. Include pictures with yours or her relatives if you have any. What we did was write on the back of the picture itself who is in it and where it was taken- I don't know if it right - we have still to find out! About the change of address- I don't think you will be deported for being late. Don't worry about that - other members, please correct me if I am wrong. I don't think you have to prove to them that you are working- that has nothing to do with the removal of conditions. However, if you have paychecks at the same address your wife received mail when you were together, send photocopies of those. That would help establish that you lived together.

I hope you find your way out of this complicated situation! I wish you all the luck and don't worry about being deported! As Jane said, before any action is taken against you will receive a NOA that extends your stay for 1 year, then you may be asked for more evidence (if what you send is not enough), and even if they reject your application you have the right to appeal (right??).

Good luck again!

08/15/2007- I-751 sent to CSC via Express mail

08/20/2007- received at CSC

09/12/2007 - money order cashed

09/13/2007- received NOA1 dated 08/20/2007

09/20/2007- received Biometrics letter for 10/04/2007

10/04/2007- Biometrics completed

10/15/2007- Card production ordered!!!!

10/18/2007- Approval notice sent

10/20/2007- Approval notice received

10/22/2007- Card received

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Why was this moved? .. I reposted in the section that people told me to, now it gets moved.

I don't know how all this works, or where it was moved to. And still nobody answers it. No answers here. I give up.

I moved it because this is the better forum for your question... and you might get more answers here ...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I can't give you a lot of help... but I can tell you this - calm down! Once you get your paperwork into the Service center your A$$ (scuse the French) is covered until they finish processing it. They'll send you a letter of receipt when they open your envelope, and that letter shows that you have done your part (and therefore you're still legal until they say otherwise.) They are NOT going to turn around on March 6th and say 'get out of the country today!' Even if they did decide to refuse your application and kick you out, it still wouldn't be instant. You're not an illegal immigrant and they have to follow due process...

I knew a person who's AOS was refused because she screwed up the paperwork and didn't clean up the mess, but even after they said 'sorry, you can't have it' she still had a right to appeal and was given a certain amount of time to do it in.

Edited by Kajikit

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Ok - there is a lot of very comforting information here and I really appreciate it .. It's easy

for me to panic because suddenly I find myself alone - in a very large nation - where I know

nobody. She has everything, and I am just the scum she scraped off from under her foot.

'shrugs.

I started having nightmares about the country I came from again, due to stress, it is the

way it is. I love this country deeply, I loved her also, but still, all this all gives me a little

more time.

So..photos with details on reverse (separate envelope?) and all documents in different

envelopes - so it's easy for them to see what's what, right?

The reason why I am moving back up to the state I ws originally in, in order to get the

affidavits, is because I don't have the phone number or address of one of the people I need

to contact, and don't know anybody up there who could do it for me. The guy in question is

the postman - who's known her all his life.

My employer has been wonderful in transferring me a second time, because of these things,

even though I will be living out of my car for a while, until I can find some accommodation

up there.

Please forgive me for panicking, but frankly - I have no confidence to feel that anybody

would take my side in this. Because of her travelling nurse job, and then her rejection and

complacency toward our marriage, that cut me off socially - from knowing and/or sharing

any of her friends or the same people we know, with her - I've been living as a single man in

the same house with her, for the last 2 years.

We slept in separate beds..she never wanted to talk, to touch, to share or even look at me..

and there was nothing I did or could do so now..living on my own, for the first time - I am

*really* beginning to find out about how life here is - instead of a very sheltered version.

(People are not as they have been painted, to me, I'm finding! :o))

K-1 Visa

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

Consulate Received :

Packet 4 Received :

Sorry to hear thing did not work out for you.... you can file to remove the conditions at anytime now your divorce is final.... you will need to send as much evidence as you can showing your joint life with your ex-wife, so joint bank account statements, health insurance, utility bills, mortgage or lease in joint names. you would benefit from a meeting with an immigration lawyer who has experience with removing conditions after divorce... this is not something you should have a go at doing without good legal advice....

Kez

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.