Wendy-Henry

Taking the Czech Last name: Goc/Gocova

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

My Czech fiancé’s name is Jindrich Goc. If I were Czech then my last name would be Gocova. Are there any American ladies out there that have taken the feminine version of the male's last name? I could be Wenona Goc or Wenona Gocova. Then when we have children the boys would have the last name of Goc and the girls would have the last name of Gocova. Any comments or thoughts out there? Thanks.

July 27, 2007: I-129F Sent

August 23, 2007: I-797C/NOA1

August 26, 2007: Touched

August 27, 2007: I-797C/NOA1 Received

August 27, 2007: Check cleared for $170.00

August 30, 2007: Touched

January 7, 2008: Called USCIS Customer Service at (800) 375 – 5283

January 10, 2008: Touched

January 11, 2008: Touched

January 14, 2008: Received I-797/NOA2 Approved 1/10/08

January 31, 2008: Received Approval 1/28/08 from National Visa Center

February 13, 2008: Fiance received Packet 3 from US Embassy - Dublin Ireland

February 15, 2008: Fiance requested Irish Police Certificate from Guarda in Navan County Meath

February 18, 2008: Fiance receieved translated copy of Czech Police Certificate and Birth Certificate

February 19, 2008: Fiance had medical exam

February 19, 2008: Fiance received his Irish Police Certificate via AnPost

February 20, 2008: Fiance returned Packet 3 (DS-230, Checklist/Notification of Readiness) via AnPost

February 21, 2008: Fiance picked up medical exam results

February 29, 2008: Fiance received appointment notice Packet 4 for March 13, 2008 1:00 pm

March 10, 2008: Fiance purchased Irish postal money order for 94.32 Euro

March 13, 2008: Visa Interview 1:00 pm, told to return next day at 1:00 pm

March 14, 2008: K-1 Fiance Visa in hand! Yippee!

April 2, 2008: Dublin-Chicago-Denver on American Airlines! Arrived on time and no problems :-)

April 3, 2008: Legally married Denver, Colorado

My Czech fiancé’s name is Jindrich Goc. If I were Czech then my last name would be Gocova. Are there any American ladies out there that have taken the feminine version of the male's last name? I could be Wenona Goc or Wenona Gocova. Then when we have children the boys would have the last name of Goc and the girls would have the last name of Gocova. Any comments or thoughts out there? Thanks.

i think Gocova sounds nicer with your name, thats just me though

i have never heard of this before, but its interesting...hopefully in about six months i will be susan miceli :wub:

Removal of Conditions NOA: 2/24/11

Biometrics Appt: 8/15/11

ROC Approval: 9/30/11

Card Production Ordered: 10/11/11

Card Received: 10/15/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I also like Gocova better, it has a nicer ring to it. This reminds me of my friend who's from Iceland and her dad's name is Erling so her last name is Erlingsdottir (daughter of Erling), her bother's last name is Erlingsun (son of Erling). Pretty cool, huh?

Mine will be boring... Lopez. Diana Lopez, D.Lo if you will. -_-

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

My wife is from CZ and we had the same dilema. However, think about this...Where will you live? If you will both live in the US you can image how having a different last name then you husband will go over in any kind of paperwork, banking etc etc. My wife ended up taking my last name as is no "ova" at the end. When you go to the Czech Rep they will probably add it to the end sometimes for her but they understand and it won't be a big deal. Obviously my opinion is keep the same last name. Then again my credo is 'make life simple so, you can enjoy it more'

:)

My updated signature is:

Married on January 25th 2006

Moved to Finland for 6 months

Now back in the US before her 6 month limitation occured

Just had a brand new baby September 28th 2007!

I-751 Receipt July 28, 2008

Second child due October 28th 2008

New link to our website: http://kateandrandy.blogspot.com/

My husband is Slovak, but same situation with us. I kept his last name "Vanco" instead of "Vancova". I think it will be easier for you in the US if you keep his last name without the ova. It will probably cause some unneeded hassle if you add the ova.

I also have an another friend who kept off the ova as well.

But keep in mind it's your decision, and do what you want.

I did have to fill out an extra paper in the Czech Republic when we got married though that said I wanted to just be Vanco and not Vancova. But if you get married in the States it won't matter.

Hope this helps.

Jill

June 1, 2007: I-130 delivered at Embassy

June 1, 2007: Received packet 3

June 10,2007: Sent DS-230 part 1 by email

July 26, 2007: Applied for SVK police cert. at embassy in Warsaw

July 27, 2007: Applied/Received Polish police certificate.

August 7, 2007: Applied for CZK police certificate at embassy in Warsaw

September 5, 2007: Received SVK police certificate

September 5, 2007: Medical examination

September 13, 2007: Received CZK police certificate

September 14, 2007: Emailed form IV/F04 (checklist) to embassy saying we have all documents and are ready for interview.

September 28, 2007: Received email saying they couldn't open the attachment so I sent IV/F04/checklist by fax.

October 10, 2007: Received email confirming they have received fax

October 16, 2007: Received Packet 4

November 15, 2007: Interview, (had to have two police certs translated to English instead of Polish)

November 16, 2007: Two police cert. brought to embassy. Visa approved!!!!!

November 19, 2007: Visa in hand.

March 23, 2008: POE Chicago, IL

• 5 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.