rebeccajo

Before a new post

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

When a member posts a question, there's the lovely little request above the window to "Please consider reading the FAQ's and Guides before posting" and the happy little smiley with his signage.

This obviously is not working.

Can we have something a bit more 'out there'? Could it be in RED? Could it also politely say "have you used the search function of this forum to find your answer?".

I can honestly say that today, I see soooooooooo many questions where the answer is EASILY obtainable just by scrolling down the first page of the forum. I know we don't want to be unfriendly to new members or someone with a legit question, but IMO something somewhere is broken.

I purposely have not answered any of those questions today.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the little request above the window to "Please consider reading the [FAQ's, Guides, and utilize the Search function] before posting" should be bigger and bolder. With the guide that I created for the Manila Embassy. I have essentially stopped answering questions and referred them to the section of the guide that is applicable to their question. For me, it's generally easier for me to look up the answer then to ask a question. However, it appears that is not the average person's mentality. Folks join and ask questions like this is a service and we're all here to answer their questions. Hehehehe! I'm now charging $4.95 per question and $9.95 per question that I have to look up. Please make checks payable to Capt Ewok. Unfortunately, my contract is under negotiation. Hehehehe!!!

Seriously, you are absolutely correct in that folks do not take the time to review the vast amount of credible information that VJ has to offer before asking questions that have been answered one hundred times over. What can you do? It's the nature of the beast. Lord knows how many questions I asked…

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe newbies should be required to read the guides and then take a test over what they read before they can post for the first time? :D

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

One comment. I find the search function on here, as on most forums not very useful. I've tried searching for things on here and not find what I was looking for. Is there a way to find the most commonly asked question on here for say the past year and put them in to the FAQ's? Or is it everyones opinion that the FAQ's already answer these most commonly asked questions already?

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

New people usually aren't familar with all the features of the site, give them some time to get up to speed.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
New people usually aren't familar with all the features of the site, give them some time to get up to speed.

I agree... I'm a newbie and I don't ask questions simply because I have been lucky enough to browse around and find all that I've needed to know, thus far... however, I think that the frustration and the anxiety that some of the new people feel leads them to just want to ask because they want to get an answer quickly and don't even think to look for past posts... besides, truth be told... ALL of the answers can be found SOMEWHERE...

I have finally met my love and my best friend... I can't thank God enough for this gift! After spending 17 days in Ghana with my love, I am even more consumed by him and all that he is.

Jim, I agree.

BUT today I saw several questions with similar topics already posted on the front page of the forum they were asked in. I know that you and I both used to look around for our answers before we asked. It's almost like people are not even trying.

Maybe if there were a bigger bolder announcement at the top of posting window, they'd go back and look? I mean, sometimes people get confused by the guides but they aren't confused by reading the forum. I'd like to help find a way to encourage them to do that.

Filed: Timeline
When a member posts a question, there's the lovely little request above the window to "Please consider reading the FAQ's and Guides before posting" and the happy little smiley with his signage.

Can we have something a bit more 'out there'? Could it be in RED? Could it also politely say "have you used the search function of this forum to find your answer?".

I can honestly say that today, I see soooooooooo many questions where the answer is EASILY obtainable just by scrolling down the first page of the forum. I know we don't want to be unfriendly to new members or someone with a legit question, but IMO something somewhere is broken.

I can only speak for myself, but having something in RED makes it pretty much irrelevant to me, and to anyone else who is colorblind. All in all I'm more likely to ignore red and/or green text because it makes my head hurt trying to read it.

Disclaimer: I am a smart-a55. Anything I say can and will be used against you in whatever forum I so choose. My posts are based on my own perspective, and should not be taken as anything other than my own opinion. Any resemblance to real people, living or dead, is coincidental. Minimum system requirements are a human brain, version 1.0. Suggested system requirements are a human brain version 1.0 with a sense of humor and a logical thought processor above 1.0 beta. Should not be used by children. Hazardous when wet.

B3 5C 0C E2 91 8B 91 F8 7A 2C 7E E4 17 79 FA D6

I can only speak for myself, but having something in RED makes it pretty much irrelevant to me, and to anyone else who is colorblind. All in all I'm more likely to ignore red and/or green text because it makes my head hurt trying to read it.

Ooooooooohhh, I never knew that!!

How about purple? What color works?

THAT'S A BOLD FACE LIE! THE REAL REASON IS BECAUSE YOU LIKE THINGS IN ALL CAPS! :lol::thumbs::dance::devil:

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

To be honest, you can make it as big as you want and people still won't read it, or won't understand what they read. Maybe we need to rotate our vets on a daily schedule so they don't get burned out (plus, if no one jumps up to answer their questions, then maybe the newbies will read.)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Who said anything about being 'burned out'?

Hey it was just a suggestion.

Really.

And I'm 'vet' enough to know if I am frustrated and that it is thus time to step away and not post. I'm sure Rj knows when she reaches that point, too.

SA4userbar.jpg

What? Caladan suggested being burned out, it wasn't said to be a needle in the side of the original suggestion. C - correct me if I am wrong, but I believe she was commenting on that people won't read it regardless of the color, etc.