Helen&Dougie

Needing Help with K3 Visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006 here in the US. He is English. We plan on filing the I-130 here in a few weeks. I just want to make sure I have this right. I don't know anyone who has done the K3 before, and I dont know what to expect from any of it. I have a million questions and have no idea who to turn to for answers.

We file the I-130 and supporting documents and mail them to the USCIS Service Center. Then wait for the NOA1. Once we receive the NOA1 for the I-130 we file I-129F and the supporting documents and mail them to the Chicago CIS Office. Then we receive a NOA1 for the I-129F and then we will receive a NOA2 for the I-129F. Then they will schedule an interview or will there be more paperwork to file? Will he find out if he is approved or denied at the interview? What happens after the interview if he is approved for the K3?

Can he go ahead and do the medical examination or does he have to wait until he is told to do so by the immigration people?

Do we file the I-864 or does he take it with him to the interview? I have to have a joint sponsor for the I-864. Does he (my joint sponsor for the I-864) just fill out the I-864 form and check the box saying joint sponsor and thats that or is there a seperate filing process for the joint sponsor?

What all does he need to take to the interview with him? Do I have to go to the interview (which I am assuming will be in London)?

I'm sorry there are so many questions, and I'm sure as we go along this I'll have more. I just want to make sure we're going about this the right way and would like to know a little of what to expect once we get all this going. We've been together for nearly 3 years now, and we are just looking forward to settling down together and starting the rest of our lives together as a family.

Feb 2005: We met

April 2005: Began dating

Dec 16 2006: We got married in Texas

Sept 6 2007: Mailed I-130 to TSC

Sept 10 2007: TSC receives I-130

Dec 28 2007: I-130 NOA1 mailed

Dec 31 2007: Received I-130 NOA1

Feb 24 2008: Put into system case now at VSC

April 29 2008: Touch

April 29, 2008: Approved - Case Status Online message of approval

April 30, 2008: Last updated date & message changed. Still approval message, but a different one

May 01, 2008: NVC Received & Case Number Assigned

May 12, 2008: DS-3032 & AOS Bill Generated

May 17, 2008: DS-3032 emailed to NVC

May 27, 2008: DS-3032 received by NVC

April 24, 2009: Interview at London Embassy - APPROVED!!!!!!

May 05, 2009: Received Visa (IR-1)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
My husband and I got married in Dec 2006 here in the US. He is English. We plan on filing the I-130 here in a few weeks. I just want to make sure I have this right. I don't know anyone who has done the K3 before, and I dont know what to expect from any of it. I have a million questions and have no idea who to turn to for answers.

We file the I-130 and supporting documents and mail them to the USCIS Service Center. Then wait for the NOA1. Once we receive the NOA1 for the I-130 we file I-129F and the supporting documents and mail them to the Chicago CIS Office. Then we receive a NOA1 for the I-129F and then we will receive a NOA2 for the I-129F. Then they will schedule an interview or will there be more paperwork to file? Will he find out if he is approved or denied at the interview? What happens after the interview if he is approved for the K3?

Can he go ahead and do the medical examination or does he have to wait until he is told to do so by the immigration people?

Do we file the I-864 or does he take it with him to the interview? I have to have a joint sponsor for the I-864. Does he (my joint sponsor for the I-864) just fill out the I-864 form and check the box saying joint sponsor and thats that or is there a seperate filing process for the joint sponsor?

What all does he need to take to the interview with him? Do I have to go to the interview (which I am assuming will be in London)?

I'm sorry there are so many questions, and I'm sure as we go along this I'll have more. I just want to make sure we're going about this the right way and would like to know a little of what to expect once we get all this going. We've been together for nearly 3 years now, and we are just looking forward to settling down together and starting the rest of our lives together as a family.

Where is your husband now? Did he return to the UK?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

As a ex K3 filer I recommend just filing a I-130 for a CR or IR [Depends on how long you have been married].

If over 2 years do a IR for SURE and forget about the K3.

Both the CR and IR may take a couple months longer than a K3 but they are way easier, cheaper and less stressful than a K3.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Where is your husband now? Did he return to the UK?

Yes he returned shortly after the wedding, he had to.

April 30, 2008: Last updated date & message changed. Still approval message, but a different one

Timeline
As a ex K3 filer I recommend just filing a I-130 for a CR or IR [Depends on how long you have been married].

Both the CR and IR may take a couple months longer than a K3 but they are way easier, cheaper and less stressful than a K3.

we've been married 8 months. I thought the CR/IR took alot longer than the K3, which was why the K3 was created?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

we've been married 8 months. I thought the CR/IR took alot longer than the K3, which was why the K3 was created?

That IS the reason it was created and for some countries the above still holds true. However, you'll want to take a hard look at the pros and cons before deciding to go the K3 route. There's plenty of previous discussion about it here.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

After approval of the I129f the embassy will send out a packet with instructions to fill in and return to them. They will then issue a interview date. If approved at interview you receive the visa in your passport and have 6 months to enter the US.

Wait for the instruction packet from the embassy before organising the medical.

You will need a I 134 for yourself and one for your joint sponser. The I 864 comes into play when adjustment of status is filed in the US. Also note that the I 134 is not legally binding whereas the I 864 here is.

The interview letter from the embassy will state what is needed to take to the interview but basically make a copy of everything you have submitted to the USCIS plus whatever they require.

Also make sure that when he does have his medical, that he gets a copy of any vacinations given as it is so common to be asked for a vaccination supplement be filled in here in the US by a civil surgeon.

Usually, it can take an extra 3 months or so for the process through the NVC to get a CR or IR interview but the benefits of this are that when he lands in the US he is already a legal permanent resident and as such can apply for a SSN DL etc. As a K3 non immigrant visa holder, he will have to wait until he receives employment authorisation (approx 90 days from filing) or the greencard before applying for a SSN. Also the fees for AOS are now over $1k so this might also be soemthing to think about when decieding which way to go.

I 130 & I129F (K3) and AOS info in timeline

Yep that's why so families could be reunited sooner. Known as the LIFE ACT.

However at that time and until recently CRs and IRs were taking a lot longer than K3s.

Processing times on CR/IRs have speeded up quite a bit if the paperwork is done correctly.

"Some" are getting interview dates for both K3 and CRs within a month of each other.

I guess it's a ####### shoot tho as no one knows if USCIS will continue their current processing.

For sure USCIS isn't consistant in what they do!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.