NYGirl

Florida

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Can someone please tell me how is the weather in florida right now?

Is it warm enough, does it rain?

i want to go to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale with my fiance over the memorial weekends and i am afraid it will be a thunderstorm. Of course i understand that you never know with mother nature but still, am i taking a chance and risking it?

thanks!!!

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

Timeline

i want to go to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale with my fiance over the memorial weekends and i am afraid it will be a thunderstorm. Of course i understand that you never know with mother nature but still, am i taking a chance and risking it?

thanks!!!

sorry, i meant over labor day weekends

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

thanks!!!

Florida weather will be hot and steamy(er humid). Ft Lauderdale will be ok and so will miami as long as you like it hot. looks like it is in the 30's all week with some rain.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Timeline

thanks!!!

Florida weather will be hot and steamy(er humid). Ft Lauderdale will be ok and so will miami as long as you like it hot. looks like it is in the 30's all week with some rain.

30's or 80's?

if it's 30's it's toooo cold :) lol

when you say some rain, it's not something all day long non stop? is it just for few hours and then you can head back to the beach? :)

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

It's gonna be more like 90s!

Miami is great, definitely go for it! Don't be afraid of rain, it rains in FL pretty much every day in summer for 20 minutes and than it's sunny again. No major hurricanes are supposed to hit the coast this season so don't worry!

Have a great time!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
No major hurricanes are supposed to hit the coast this season so don't worry!

It is a bit early to predict that - 3 months of hurricane season left. On average, though, there is only 1 hurricane every 2 years. Odds are you will not have your plans impacted. It will be hot, low 90s. Very humid (but you are going to the beach, you will be fine).

Typically there are short (half hour) thunder storms every day in the summer. They aren't a big deal, but it does cool the temperature down by about 10 C in the afternoon (which is nice).

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It's hot and the sun is still intense. Wear sun screen regardless of your skin pigment. Flirting with melanoma you should avoid.

The big question is really what do you want to do? There are many answers to that and that should guide where you want to go here in Florida. Once you answer that, then decide where you want to go. There are great places from the panhandle [Emerald Coast] to Key West and everywhere in between. The first question is what do you want to do and how much time do you have. Then there's how rich do you feel ... or are you.

Do you like to be among many tourists? Or do you like more laid back and quiet? Figure out what then where then how much.

I moved here because I wanted to be here; not because someone told me or offered me a job here; other than that, I made it work because I'd been here while exploring FL over a decade on vacations and this is where I love to be.

Have fun!

Larry and Maria

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Do you like to be among many tourists? Or do you like more laid back and quiet? Figure out what then where then how much.

As a tourist, "local knowledge" can greatly change the experience of where you go in Florida. Here's a list:

Orlando: Theme parks, not much else to see.

Tampa: Bigger city, mostly working class. No beaches. Ybor city - okay nightlife. Channelside - slightly better. Not ideal as a tourist.

St Pete: Downtown is quirky, but nice. One of the few places where you can walk everywhere. Bars, baseball, water, sailing. Few good restaurants. Beach is great - Fort Desoto/St Pete Beach/Clearwater Beach. Better to do beaches during the day, stay elsewhere.

Pensacola: Panhandle, "redneck riviera." Nice beaches. Not much else.

Naples/Marco Island: Super expensive, nice beaches and fishing. If you are on a budget, go somewhere else. No nightlife.

Miami: Plenty of nightlife. South Beach is great if you have never been. Other parts of the city can be poor/dangerous/etc. Miami Beach is the best place to consider as a tourist, hotels are relatively cheap - good beach. You also won't need a car on Collins/Ocean Drive.

Daytona: Spring break atmosphere - year round. Cheap motels, seedy bars. Beach is okay.

Saint Augustine: The most "Southern" city in Florida. (it is the most northern, but feels more like GA or SC.)

Jacksonville: More working class, probably not what you are looking for.

Satellite Beach/Melbourne/Merrit Island/Cocoa Beach: Quiet, nice beaches.

Key West: Wild, expensive, different. Kind of an expensive tourist trap these days. Worth the trip if you have money to spend.

There are a million other places, but unless you have some reason to go there - I would stick with Miami Beach, St Petersburg or Fort Myers.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Sorry since my wife got here I almost automatically look at C not F when it comes to temperature.

Talk about a cultural exchange

Thom n Elena

Finally Home

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

ROC

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Reschedule 7/22/09

LPR Card Received

I almost automatically look at C not F when it comes to temperature.

We have a nice little chart on the wall above our stove that's great for converting weather and cooking temperatures. We do the exchange thing too, with her saying "tomorrow, blat, 36, blat" and me saying "####### is 36 in real temperature.... it's FREAKING HOTTTTTT! That's what it is." To be certain though, I check out the Bill Nye chart to get an exact temp.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I deal in the metric system all of the time,

we are finishing up a first time parenting class tonight and she leans over after the teacher said something and asked how much one inch is in real measurement, I tell her 2.5 cm. The teacher says to me you have something to add and I tell the whole class 2.5cm, they look at me like im high it was very funny to both of us.

I have a chart on my stove too so that when someone cooks chicken I dont die(hmm she sees 125 on the knob and thinks thats about 350 eeekk)

Thom n Elena

Finally Home

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

ROC

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Reschedule 7/22/09

LPR Card Received

Some of the machinery I work on at my job is made in Germany or Japan and the settings are all metric. There's a running joke about "length and girth" always being given in metric terms because of the higher value of centimeters versus inches.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Some of the machinery I work on at my job is made in Germany or Japan and the settings are all metric. There's a running joke about "length and girth" always being given in metric terms because of the higher value of centimeters versus inches.

:lol:

Think how much more it'll be in millimeters!

:lol:

Think how much more it'll be in millimeters!

Yeah, you're right. But, when you're already in double digits in inches.... it's not really necessary to convert over to metric anyway.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.