Haynes

Confused as to what vaccines are required for London medical

22 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am 27 years old, so firmly in the 18-64 category on the vaccine requirements page. I feel like I am missing a decent chunk of the vaccines however so just want to make sure I am looking at it correctly.

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/pdf/Vaccine-Requirements-According-to-Applicant-Age-p.pdf

My understanding is that at my age, I require:

- Td/Tdap (YES, substitute 1-time dose of Tdap for Td booster; then boost with Td or Tdap every 10 years)

- Measles, Mumps and Rubella

- Hepatitis B

- Varicella (but this isn't available in the UK?)

- Covid 19.

Td/Tdap: I got 3 DTP, Polio and Hib vaccines before I was 6 months old in 1997. Then a Booster for DT in 2001, then Revaxis (Low dose diphtheria, tetanus and polio) in 2011. As that last shot was 13 years ago, I require a new booster for this?

MM&R: I received a first shot in 1998 at a year old. Then, a booster in 2001. I believe that means I am good for this?

Hep B: No record of this at all. From a Google search this is something I will need to get from a travel place?

Varicella: Not available in the UK?

Covid 19: Last shot was Jan 2022, so I will need a private dose for this?

Thanks so much!

I just went through this process. 

- If you're missing vaccinations they can give you some onsite. For example, I didn't have the Hep B vaccine (it's a 3 course vaccination). They gave me the first shot, charged me for it (I think it was like £40?), said I should continue it when I move, but the single shot onsite satisfies the requirement.

- Varicella - they will ask you if you had chicken pox as a child. They do not request further evidence beyond verbal confirmation & you checking a box in the form.

- You need to privately get the COVID vaccine before you arrive for the medical. They do not offer that vaccination at the clinic. This is what they send at the top of your booking confirmation for the medical:

PLEASE NOTE:  From the 01st April 2024 the COVID-19 vaccination can be obtained privately for anyone aged 12 years or above and therefore will be required for your Visa Application. You can find your nearest clinic here: https://pharmadoctor.co.uk/patient/service/covid-vaccination Or can go to our London clinic here: https://fleetstreetclinic.com/services/wellness-vaccinations/covid-vaccine/

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: England
Timeline
Posted (edited)

I believe you only need to have the original covid vaccines NOT the boosters. You will need these on the GP summary report listed under vaccination list. 

They can also only be the brands that are approved by CDC i.e. pfizer, moderna etc.

Edited by bonkane

6 minutes ago, bonkane said:

I believe you only need to have the original covid vaccines NOT the boosters. You will need these on the GP summary report listed under vaccination list. 

They can also only be the brands that are approved by CDC i.e. pfizer, moderna etc.

That is a good point actually. I presumed I required a booster. I have emailed to ask. Thanks. 

Timeline

Also, I'd take the list to your GP nurse locally and she can adminstrate a few of them as I didn't have my red book to prove I had a few of the, and the doctor couldnt find my paper record neither. It's way cheaper than the medical. I did forget the Hep B and so had to pay out for that.

Varicella was ignored as it's not available in the UK. They could see I had chicken pox as a 9 year old so were happy with it too.

COVID booster is required if you haven't had one in the last 12 months. We had our medical appointment in April and was the case for my wife. Also some guidance below.

Source:

cdc.gov - "For the purposes of the immigration medical examination only, applicants who have not received a COVID-19 vaccine dose in the 12 months prior to the date of the exam are considered due for a dose."

Timeline
2 hours ago, T2DEWS1226 said:

COVID booster is required if you haven't had one in the last 12 months. We had our medical appointment in April and was the case for my wife. Also some guidance below.

Source:

cdc.gov - "For the purposes of the immigration medical examination only, applicants who have not received a COVID-19 vaccine dose in the 12 months prior to the date of the exam are considered due for a dose."

I didn't have one for over 12 months. What did they say to your wife then?

2 hours ago, T2DEWS1226 said:

Source:

Yep correct, this matches up with the response I have just had from Visa Medicals in London. 

I think Visa Medicals could do with updating their website. Also what evidence do they require? The signed card like the NHS handed out, or something more specific. Other places will also do private jabs, but what vaccination evidence is given and accepted?

Getting a notice to say you need the COVID vaccine on the appointment letter can cut it fine for many, especially if you’ve just made the Embassy appointment and not left much time in between. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Tesco said:

I think Visa Medicals could do with updating their website. Also what evidence do they require? The signed card like the NHS handed out, or something more specific. Other places will also do private jabs, but what vaccination evidence is given and accepted?

Getting a notice to say you need the COVID vaccine on the appointment letter can cut it fine for many, especially if you’ve just made the Embassy appointment and not left much time in between. 

I agree. I wonder too what the proof would be with the private clinics. I've phoned around today and not many private clinics even have stock.

Boots have been a mess.

13 hours ago, bonkane said:

I agree. I wonder too what the proof would be with the private clinics.

17 hours ago, Tesco said:

Also what evidence do they require? The signed card like the NHS handed out, or something more specific. Other places will also do private jabs, but what vaccination evidence is given and accepted?

They accepted a PDF print out of the NHS COVID site for my first two vaccines (both AstraZenica), and then for my booster that I got in a CVS in the US (Moderna), it had my name + vaccine version + manufacturer + date. Have you tried the links I posted earlier that are from the same company/group as VisaMedicals? That's what they put in the email for your booking. There's no signature or company stamp or anything fancy that they look for.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, nbar said:

They accepted a PDF print out of the NHS COVID site for my first two vaccines (both AstraZenica), and then for my booster that I got in a CVS in the US (Moderna), it had my name + vaccine version + manufacturer + date. Have you tried the links I posted earlier that are from the same company/group as VisaMedicals? That's what they put in the email for your booking. There's no signature or company stamp or anything fancy that they look for.

Your booster is straightforward as done Stateside. For the ‘within 12 months’ in the UK, I guess can you use other companies, or only the ones Visa Medicals show, (two). Not local to any of them and would like to try an alternative location. Just wanted to see if others have had their vaccine from a different location in the UK and if that had a hand written card of proper print out of the record

Edited by Tesco
Typo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.